Why do so many people only run?

Options
It seems to me that so many people only seem to run/jog, or maybe cycle.

Why don't more people play sports? Not only are you getting your burn, often far better than just running, but the activity itself takes your mind of the "i must burn more calories". Play the sport for fun, and burning calories becomes a by-product, not a goal!

Makes it so much easier!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I love sports! Rugby is mine :]
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Wow that was fast! Are stalking me or something? :blushing:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Problem with sports is that you need a lot more people. Which means scheduling becomes a major problem. People want to work out on their own time when they can fit it in - between school/work/kids/etc...

Plus you have the problem of skill. For me, I suck terribly at sports and I don't care about them at all. That's a bit of an issue.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm not a people person. Sports would require people.
  • mdfeller
    mdfeller Posts: 135
    Options
    I enjoy running and for most runners that I've encountered, they enjoy the time to themselves, being free out in the open, not reportable to anyone but themselves. It's liberating. Completing my first 5K not even two weeks ago (on a whim) and doing another one this weekend, then a third two weeks after that, is exhilarating. It's a sense of accomplishment where I only am in control. Not hand/eye coordination with a ball or glove or bat. Just my 2 cents. Besides that, it's the only that has worked for my bff to rid her of her love handles. I'm shooting for that.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You could do other things other than team sports such as hiking, rock climbing, swimming, ect.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Lack of understanding of how different forms and doses of exercise have varying impacts on physique changes. Plus, we're still in the wake of the cardio craze area of the 80s.
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I run because that IS what I enjoy doing, so why should I do something else? Distance running is my hobby, not just a way to burn calories.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    maybe I prefer not to be a weight on a team. When I run, I am only competing against myself. I'm not worried about looking foolish and letting a team down.

I suck at sports, I have no skill with speed, but I can run six miles in my own time and that is way more thrilling to me than missing that ball yet again.

Do you understand now?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I would if I could, but I've got too much other stuff going on to be able to schedule in some kind of league through the town/Y/whatever.

Running (and cycling, for that matter), I can do whenever I have free time. No scheduling, no planning, etc.

And I do them because I love them, not because I need to burn calories.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running, but also love to play softball. The important thing is to move, not really important how. To each his own.
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    It seems to me that so many people only seem to run/jog, or maybe cycle.

Why don't more people play sports? Not only are you getting your burn, often far better than just running, but the activity itself takes your mind of the "i must burn more calories". Play the sport for fun, and burning calories becomes a by-product, not a goal!

Makes it so much easier!

What if we suck at sports? How can it be fun if we always sit the bench.

Jogging > Bench Warming
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Problem with sports is that you need a lot more people. Which means scheduling becomes a major problem. People want to work out on their own time when they can fit it in - between school/work/kids/etc...

This. I'd love to participate in sports again, but I don't know anybody else who wants to play pickup basketball or soccer or whatever it might be, no matter how willing I am to do it myself. I wish I could find somebody who wanted to!

But running is really fun, too, you know! I run because I love to do it! Having said that, though, I don't run every day--I try to mix it up and do other activities on my off days.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Running makes me happy. Running is my ME time.
    I wouldn't get as much out of playing softball as I do running.. softball means I have to pay attention. I love that with running my mind can roam in a million directions.
    Running works with my schedule... the kids, hubby, work.

And like others have said, I do it because it's what I enjoy more than the fact that it burns calories...that's just a plus!
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is why I enjoy fitness classes like Zumba :) it is a group effort and having fun is more important than burning calories!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Wow that was fast! Are stalking me or something? :blushing:

You caught me ;D
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    most sports require a certain time and money. with running youre free!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Some good points here. :)

It just seemed to me that running is something that you do purely to burn calories, and that you're always thinking about it as you do it. I just found it easier, and more enjoyable, to do something i enjoy JUST for the enjoyment. Then i find out it's burned 800 cals, and it's a bonus! :D

I never actually considered people actually enjoy running! :P
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not a people person. Sports would require people.

AHAHA Llove this
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running and for most runners that I've encountered, they enjoy the time to themselves, being free out in the open, not reportable to anyone but themselves. It's liberating. Completing my first 5K not even two weeks ago (on a whim) and doing another one this weekend, then a third two weeks after that, is exhilarating. It's a sense of accomplishment where I only am in control. Not hand/eye coordination with a ball or glove or bat. Just my 2 cents. Besides that, it's the only that has worked for my bff to rid her of her love handles. I'm shooting for that.

I agree here. I just enjoy running, I always have. I do it to relax, and to think, not really for the calorie burn or on a cardio craze. I've played other sports, like ice hockey and volleyball, but I still love running the most.