Snack Ideas

Options
I always seem to get hungry between 2 & 4 everyday; I keep a granola bar with me at work and eat it at 3:30 but most days I'm just too hungry to wait that long. I eat a balanced lunch but I wasn't sure if I could find a healthy snack that I could eat along with the granola bar that won't take too much of my calories away. Any ideas????

Replies

• ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite snacks:

Mini Babybel Light cheese - 50 cal. Add an apple and it's a great, filling snack!

Frozen berries with 1/2 cup plain unsweetened kefir or a serving of plain low fat greek yogurt. Yum!

Wasa thin n' crispy crackers with a bit of cheese or unsweetened nut butter

baby carrots - two servings (6 oz total) is about 70 cal. Add a serving of hummus and you're at about 150 cal and you get a lot of crunch satisfaction
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    apples and peanut butter :tongue:
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I like a can of tuna spiced up with some hot sauce. Only 60 calories and lots of protein.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    An apple? Or maybe replace the granola bar with Greek yogurt.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mirandahimmelspeck
    Options
    Those are great suggestions. Granola bars I find are not that satisfying.
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Drink a big glass of ice water...wait 5 minutes and then decide if your hungry or not...this is a trick that I usually do around the same time..as soon as 3:30-4 hits when I start thinking about what to make for dinner I get that "you need a snack" feeling....if it doesn't go away after I have my water I almost always go for an orange...2 medium mandarine oranges is only 36 calories and it leaves you feeling satisfied...pepermint tea is a good appetite curbing tool as well..0 calories, tastes great...fills the void.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a place to refridgerate anything but I bring with me Weight Watchers low fat string cheese. It's only 50 calories. I also have Fiber One 90 calorie brownies that help with my afternoon chocolate cravings and it helps with my fiber intake. Hope this might help a little, sorry I didn't have more to offer!
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    pretzel stix.. 39 stix are only like 90 calories and I usually only eat half that. Not to mention a big bag makes for a lot of snacks making it affordable.
  • samgilardi
    Options

i agree. I love to snack on baby carrots.
  • coqui2010
    coqui2010 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks for all the ideas!!!!! I will add these to my shopping list; they all sound great!!!!! =)
  • coqui2010
    Options
    I don't know if you have a place to refridgerate anything but I bring with me Weight Watchers low fat string cheese. It's only 50 calories. I also have Fiber One 90 calorie brownies that help with my afternoon chocolate cravings and it helps with my fiber intake. Hope this might help a little, sorry I didn't have more to offer!

I do have a fridge at work and love string cheese....yummy
  • coqui2010
    Options

I might try different snacks then; I just think I go with granola bars because they are easy.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink a bottle of water before you eat anything. It will help fill you up and therefore take less food to make you feel fuller.

Celery is good because it actually has negative calories once it's through your body and it is filling, but most people don't like raw celery plain. Smearing it with peanut butter or cheese makes it high-calorie. I found that cottage cheese is a good replacement to put on celery. Its creamy for the crunchiness of celery.

Another favorite of mine is greek yogurt. If you find it's too bitter try the fruit on the bottom kind, it is sweeter. They may seems high-calorie for yogurt but it is because of how many grams of protein is in only 6 oz of yogurt.

Also try lightly salted rice cakes. Take two and smear 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter on one and put it together like a sandwich.