I want to be PATIENT-RIGHT NOW!!!

Options
Hi fellow, MFP-ers,
Joined in Feb 09, almost immediately lost 5 lbs, which made me feel empowered!
I have practiced yoga for about 2 years regularly, and I love it. Have recently
gotten WAY out of my comfort zone by doing Zumba, Aerobox, and various hard-core cardio
classes with cute 19 year old blondes! (I am not 19 or blonde...not cute either, oh well)
I enter every single thing I eat in the food diary, and am very honest about it, even when it sucks!
So the SCALE IS NOT MOVING, HAS NOT BEEN MOVING, AND I AM FRUSTRATED!!!! and before anyone says, which is the smart and right thing to say, have you measured yourself? Are your clothes looser? etc etc..,the answer is yes, I have measured biweekly, I have lost some inches, my clothes are fitting a bit better...This is what I am frustrated with, my own IMPATIENCE! I'm frustrated with my current relationship with a scale of all things...
It takes time, and resolve like anything worth doing well, I know this, but it is still snagging me here and there.
Apparently, this isn't just about weight loss for me. It's about learning positive self talk and patience and kindness towards my body and this process. Well, here we go....Look out Stuart Smiley!

Replies

• skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow, MFP-ers,
    Joined in Feb 09, almost immediately lost 5 lbs, which made me feel empowered!
    I have practiced yoga for about 2 years regularly, and I love it. Have recently
    gotten WAY out of my comfort zone by doing Zumba, Aerobox, and various hard-core cardio
    classes with cute 19 year old blondes! (I am not 19 or blonde...not cute either, oh well)
    I enter every single thing I eat in the food diary, and am very honest about it, even when it sucks!
    So the SCALE IS NOT MOVING, HAS NOT BEEN MOVING, AND I AM FRUSTRATED!!!! and before anyone says, which is the smart and right thing to say, have you measured yourself? Are your clothes looser? etc etc..,the answer is yes, I have measured biweekly, I have lost some inches, my clothes are fitting a bit better...This is what I am frustrated with, my own IMPATIENCE! I'm frustrated with my current relationship with a scale of all things...
    It takes time, and resolve like anything worth doing well, I know this, but it is still snagging me here and there.
    Apparently, this isn't just about weight loss for me. It's about learning positive self talk and patience and kindness towards my body and this process. Well, here we go....Look out Stuart Smiley!
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Look... Your'e good enough. You're smart enough. And goshdarnit, people like you.:happy: Try setting smaller fitness goals for yourself. Ones that you can reach in a week or two and use those accomplisments to keep yourself motivated. You can do it!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    ditch the scale. Throw it out, give it away, donate it to charity- whatever you have to do, do it. You're letting it drive you nuts! Stick with the measuring tape! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnymel
    Options
    Look... Your'e good enough. You're smart enough. And goshdarnit, people like you.:happy: Try setting smaller fitness goals for yourself. Ones that you can reach in a week or two and use those accomplisments to keep yourself motivated. You can do it!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
    tee hee hee!!!
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    tee hee hee!!!
    hahahaha! Stuart Smiley...haven't heard that in a while...nice:laugh: . Sometimes I'll let myself go a month without looking at the scale...staying on track, but it helps. Good luck! :drinker:
  • skinnymel
    Options
    Wow, ok, thanks everybody..I honestly find the idea of NOT using the scale hard. Is this weird? It can be so great to find that you've lost weight, I love those days. I think I will try a scale free week. Maybe!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Wow, ok, thanks everybody..I honestly find the idea of NOT using the scale hard. Is this weird? It can be so great to find that you've lost weight, I love those days. I think I will try a scale free week. Maybe!

Yes, but it is no fun whatsoever when you haven't lost weight.

Scale is the :devil: Spawn. I don't have one, and amazingly I am surviving just fine. :wink:

Yeah, you're right cmriverside and it's funny-I didn't even own a scale until a house guest bought one 4 years ago, and left it behind!
    So how often do you all weigh in? Once a month? Biweekly? Obviously you're tracking your AMAZING progress somehow...
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It is pretty common to drop a good number in the first week or two and then slump. Our bodies are smart machines and are built to avoid crisis. In order to keep losing you need to continue to challenge and change up your routine and log your food.

Probably not the answer anyone wants. Also, because the scale can become an obsession I put a post it on the face of it that says "IS IT MONDAY?", if it isn't, I forbid myself to get on it. Keeps the OCD with the scale in control. Had to actually throw one out last year :noway:

You can do it, this is a crucial time for you, this is when MOST dieters give up and decide they can't lose weight. Plateaus are VERY natural and a signal to you that your body has caught on to what you are doing and that you will have to challenge it to get it to keep doing what you want.

:flowerforyou: