Eating Late?

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Food get stored only if you eat more that you need.

big dinner + no activity while you lay in bed in a comatose state for 8h = you just ate more than you needed
    Incorrect. Sleep is not equal to being in a coma. Perhaps you can explain to me how I've managed to get down to 17-18% body fat and lost almost 25lbs when I have a habit of eating fairly close to bed?
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Incorrect. Sleep is not equal to being in a coma.

Sleep = unconsciousness
    Coma = unconsciousness
    In both states, your energy requisites approach your Basal Metabolic Rate
    Perhaps you can explain to me how I've managed to get down to 17-18% body fat and lost almost 25lbs when I have a habit of eating fairly close to bed?

1 example doesn't really make a point. Explain to me how I lost over 45 lbs in 3 months with a 9% body fat when I have a habit of not eating 2-3h before going to bed. :laugh:

I could not find any scientific trustful evidence pro/against our point for losing weight. Found a nice trustworthy trial that agrees with me... But only for mice (taking into account the same kcal diet), due to circadian hormones. I must assume that even though those circadian rhythm fluctuations do matter in a physiological level, I have not managed to find proof that those changes have repercussions on general weight losing with a strict intake control, which is what matters to us. :embarassed:

Here, I stand corrected! :grumble: :embarassed:

I found another nice trial: It IS proven that people who usually eat before going to bed lose less weight than people who don't BUT they also found that people who ate before going to bed also ate more than the other group!!! :ohwell: (which is not our point now)

Source: www.pubmed.org (trust no one else)

Sorry for wasting your time, killagb. :embarassed:

duty_calls.png
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1 example doesn't really make a point. Explain to me how I lost over 45 lbs in 3 months with a 9% body fat when I have a habit of not eating 2-3h before going to bed. :laugh:
    Right...but that does not counter my point, it only cements it. It demonstrates that either eating pattern ends in the same loss. The only thing that matters is that a calorie deficit is maintained. My point is that it's unnecessary to hold yourself to these 'rules' unless you have a better reason, such as indigestion. I'll be here if you find a study that proves this wrong :bigsmile:
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NO NO ...no...THE EARTH IS FLAT.
  • h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options
    Food get stored only if you eat more that you need.

big dinner + no activity while you lay in bed in a comatose state for 8h = you just ate more than you needed

Yes but if the person is on diet, if he has a big dinner, we can assume that he will have a little breakfast and/or lunch. So the body will use the fat during daytime. The most important is the total calories count, over a day, and some people will say, over the week.

It is probably more efficient to eat more at breakfast to improve performances at work, but it does not change anything for the diet. Like you can loose weight only by eating chips or snickers, as long as you do not eat as much calories that you spend. It will not be healthy, but you will still loose weight.
  • theys1
    theys1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much and what you do for excercise as well, say lift weights for example. Your body does all of it's repairing of muscles at night when you sleep. Believe it or not while you are sleeping your body is actually doing alot of work while you sleep. I would recommend drinking a protein shake before you go to bed because your body uses protein to repair and build muscle. It's best not to eat carbs late at night or if your going to than eat a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter on it. Hope that helps!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with science - it's just what makes sense to me. It seems to me that your body should have energy (hence food) when it needs it. You can't fill your car up after your trip - you need to fill it up before your trip. Seems to me that it works the same way as your body. If you give it fuel when it needs it most, it will be a more efficient fat burning machine!! It doesn't need as much when you sleep, so why fill it up and let it sit there all night. And if it's true that your body will dip into it's fat stores when you don't feed it then why not let it do that at night so it has better fuel when it's actually more active and metabolism is burning higher - why let it be stored as fat in the first place?? I also read someplace (can't remember where, so don't ask me to quote it) that lots of food in your belly at night interferes with the work your body is doing to repair itself. I wish I could remember where I heard it from because the way it was explained made sense to me. Whatever - all that matters to me are the results that I see...for me. I see better results and I feel better when I consistently spread out the calories throughout the day and keep my evening eating lighter when my metabolism is slowing naturally as well.

I know this is a huge debate, and in my opinion, if people like to eat at night, they will - and if it works for them who cares. And vice versa. This is just how I see things and what seems to work best for me, so it's what I believe :-)

PS - I've also heard that if you must eat late (by late, I mean close to bedtime), make it a lean healthy protein and avoid carbs - especially sugar.