Who uses Flax Seed ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennipooh82
    jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I buy it ground and keep it in the fridge; get it at Krogers. I add it to yogurt, and swap out flax and bran for flour when baking to boost fiber content. Being diabetic I need to watch carbs and adding fiber really helps.

Same here, I use it a lot as a topping or in cereal. it has a nice nutty flavor. My friend uses it a lot in cooking too!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't eat flax seed but rather chia seeds.

7 Good Reasons To Start Eating Chia Seeds

1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.

2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.

3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.

4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.

5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!

6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.

7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.

They can be eaten raw. (They have a nice "nutty" flavor.)
    They can be soaked in fruit juice (in Mexico, they call this "chia fresca").
    They're perfect in porridges and puddings.
    They make an ideal addition to baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits

Wow, great info as I have never heard of Chia seeds. Were do you buy Chia seeds? Are they exspensive? I was taking a flax seed pill and have finished the bottle and wanted to try it in another form iswhy i posted this thread. I may try Chia instead.

I'll second the chia seed idea. I eat both chia and flax. Bob's Red Mill brand can be found in most grocery stores - I think they're about $8 for 2lbs.

I looked at walmart for the Bobs Red Mill and they didn't carry, I'll go to my health food shop this weekend and see if they have both. Does it hurt to use both Chia & Flax or is that too much? Or is one enough? Great info on this.

These are both natural items and can't hurt you so don't worry about having too much. But, a little goes a long way so you only need about a spoonful of each whenever you add them.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I plan on buying Ground Chia Seed in the next couple of days from my health store, they carry the brand called "Now" for $12.99 a bag. Anyone tried this brand or does it really matter???
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Do you need to drink lots of liquids with a meal when you add the chia seeds?
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Forgot to ask earlier, what quantity of these seeds are you supposed to have each day to get these benefits?
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I picked up a bag of Bob's Red Mill Flax Seed Meal at my local grocery store. It was in the organic section. I use it in my morning shake for extra omega 3. Before this batch I was using some Trader Joe's Toasted Flax Seeds and grinding them in my coffee grinder. Those had a pleasant nutty taste.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Ok I bought a 10oz bag of "Now Healthy Foods" Blanco Salvia White Chia Seed Meal and my local health food store and
    paid $12.99 before tax (Exspesive) for such a small bag. How much did you guys pay for ground Chia? Just curious. Im going
    to look online and see what the prices are for other places. Serving size for this bag is 2 1/2 Tbsp a day.

The brand i found in walmart was not Bobs Red brand and a bigger bag for $8.00 but from Canada.

What brand does everyone use and what brand do you recommend or does it matter???

Thanks
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I buy mine raw, organic and whole from my local co-op and grind it in a coffee grinder (that I use for flax seeds only) and drink 2 tablespoons in a large glass of water. I try to do this daily, but I've fallen off the wagon.

I also use it as a hair gel. :D
  • espn21
    espn21 Posts: 15
    Options
    Flax USA organic golden cold milled flax. Its the best! 2 tbsp with a greek yogurt makes an awesome post workout snack
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Welli went to a Vitamin store today and found that they have a 14oz bag of Ground Chia seed for only $8.00 and I paid alot more
    for just a 10oz bag. Guess I'll be buying it at the Vitamin shop from now on.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I just take a tbsp of flax seed oil every day. Good balance of omega3 to 6. Reduces inflammation, helps with a whole bunch of stuff. :)
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed often as it is a natural anti-inflammatory, one thing I learned those is you must grind it up before you eat it. If you leave the seeds whole your body does not digest them, and then at that point why are you eating it? :D I use the oil form in my smoothies and the ground up seeds in yogurt. If you buy them in seed form keep them in the freezer and they will stay good for a long time. Best of luck!
  • msterlitz
    Options
    Here is a link to a Chia Seed Cookbook. It has a few really great recipes and shows you how versatile Chia Seeds are. It's a PDF link to my Keep and Share account. Give it a minute to download. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3212739/chia-seed-recipes-4-9-meg?da=y
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Here is a link to a Chia Seed Cookbook. It has a few really great recipes and shows you how versatile Chia Seeds are. It's a PDF link to my Keep and Share account. Give it a minute to download. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3212739/chia-seed-recipes-4-9-meg?da=y

COOL Thanks, will look when i get a chance
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Flax seed tastes like dirt by itself. You can mix it in things to make it taste "better" though. That said, there are more effective ways to get your fatty acids in.