This can't be right!!!

Options
What the hell!!! Just did an online ideal weight thing and it said with a wrist circumference of 6 inches (I am 5'4") I am LARGE framed!!! Isn't that a small wrist measurement???

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Hmm just measured mine. 6" exactly
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    my wrist is 4 1/2 and it told me the same thing
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    does it figure height into that? Because I'm 5'7" and mine measures out at just barely under 6"...I've never done that type of measurement before so I'm nto sure what all s taken into account.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that women who are between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 5 inches tall have a small frame if their wrist measurement is less than 6 inches, a medium frame if their wrists are 6 to 6.25 inches and a large frame if their wrists are more than 6.25 inches.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/345109-the-ideal-weight-wrist-measurements/#ixzz1bvHatQqV
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mine is 5.75 inches but I'm 5'9"
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wow! I started looking around also, and sure enough it all said I was large framed, which I'm not. I am medium framed which is what I was told by the Dukan diet website. It said to use your fingers to circle your wrist. If they
    overlap- small
    meet-medium
    have a gap-large
  • eaglescout721
    eaglescout721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That isn't a bad thing...it just means your bones are bigger, which means you should be able to support more muscle tissue. It's your bone structure, it's kinda like your height, you can't change that either. :)

You might want to double check that finding by looking for a website that has you measure the width of your elbow as well. I think they use that one because measuring there isn't skewed as much by fat or muscle tissue that you might have around your wrist.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    ** runs and get the tape measure***
    6.75 inches

I'm 5' 6"

and my fingers meet when I circle my wrists.

Interesting, I guess I'm a medium build... guess I've always thought that.
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went and checked mine. Haha, my wrist is 7.0 inches and I'm only 5'3. Guess I'm large frame, but then again I've always been told/thought that, guess its good l know for sure now, but how does that help with weight issues???? Confused , does bone size make a difference????
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow! I started looking around also, and sure enough it all said I was large framed, which I'm not. I am medium framed which is what I was told by the Dukan diet website. It said to use your fingers to circle your wrist. If they
    overlap- small
    meet-medium
    have a gap-large

This doesn't work for me, I think I have freakishly long fingers. Mine overlap greatly, but I still measure at 6.25 (medium frame). Some websites say I'm large framed, and others say I'm medium. My elbow breadth and wrist measurement contradict one another..according to the breadth measurement I'm large framed, and medium with my wrist. Perhaps I'm a freak of nature! :tongue:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Which fingers? My thumb overlaps with both my middle and ring fingers. I have always thought I was small framed as I have narrow hips. Maybe I am medium. Going to have to have a lie down now and adjust to the shock lol.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i would assume that if u were short and had a wrist size of 6 inches,
    then you would have a bigger frame of someone who was tall with a wrist size of 6..
    I know it would seem like the taller you are, the bigger your frame should be.
    But iv noticed generally, that everyone i know who is tall is a lanky *kitten* and has a smaller body frame size to me..
    So maybe if u where taller it would say ur frame was smaller?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I ignore all frame size sites. Once I spent awhile popping numbers into as many as I could find cuz I was bored and got linked to one. Between the various methods and various sites I got multiple results each for small, medium and large framed. Nothing was even close to consistent.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that women who are between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 5 inches tall have a small frame if their wrist measurement is less than 6 inches, a medium frame if their wrists are 6 to 6.25 inches and a large frame if their wrists are more than 6.25 inches.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/345109-the-ideal-weight-wrist-measurements/#ixzz1bvHatQqV

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

I'm medium-framed.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and mine is 7 inches, and my fingers don't touch... but I have always known I was large framed. It is why I carry my weight so well, and why I will never be the 130 most things say I should be (that and my boobs are huge!). I just read that and it seems that my goal of 150 is within the scope of what a large framed woman my size should be, so go me for setting a good goal!
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm large, go child baring hips go.
  • kiwipearls
    Options
    overlap- small
    meet-medium
    have a gap-large

I can't do that. I have small fingers. I got slightly stunted due to Renal reflux as a kid. Have small hands and feet compared to my siblings, but have normal height. 5ft 6inches.

But I have a small wrist when someone with normal sized hands does the finger thing.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5.75 with a wrist sized 6.25 exactly. When I circle it with my thumb and either pointer and ring fingers there is a gap but there is an overlap with my middle finger.

I've been down to 130lbs before and I was told then that I looked like I had gone through a round of chemo so I kind of already figured I don't have a small frame.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    When i was at my thinnest my fingers overlapped. At my fattest they didn't quite meet. I don't see how this test tells you anything unless you are at a healthy weight.
  • jo_can_do
    jo_can_do Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When i was at my thinnest my fingers overlapped. At my fattest they didn't quite meet. I don't see how this test tells you anything unless you are at a healthy weight.

I agree about the tests... according to this thread, I am 'medium frame' in one test and 'large' in another... Personally I think we need to stop beating ourselves up with these kinds of 'tests'