Eating under 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i am one that often does not hit the 1200, usually 800-1100. this is not something that is intended, i just ends out that way.
    I low carb and unless i go over on my carbs i have trouble hitting that MagicNumber. And sorry but i am not going to eat something i am not hungry for or don't want just because i am not at the exulted MagicNumber
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First of all just to assume they are starving at being unhealthy is sterotyping. You do not know thier situation, so should you be judging them?
    For example, I have some health issues.. I work with my doctor FREQUENTLY and he and I devised an eating plan.. most of the time I follow this. In doing so I do go below the "magic" 1200. some of the time. but guess what? My doctor knows about this.. and he said that was ok to do. I show him actually a print out of what I eat. I am not starving myself by any means... I eat when Im hungry and I stop when Im almost full. I am not unhealthy.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    First of all just to assume they are starving at being unhealthy is sterotyping. You do not know thier situation, so should you be judging them?
    For example, I have some health issues.. I work with my doctor FREQUENTLY and he and I devised an eating plan.. most of the time I follow this. In doing so I do go below the "magic" 1200. some of the time. but guess what? My doctor knows about this.. and he said that was ok to do. I show him actually a print out of what I eat. I am not starving myself by any means... I eat when Im hungry and I stop when Im almost full. I am not unhealthy.

SPOT ON! You collaborate with your doctor, just like I do, and everything I post on my intake logs, I print and mail to my Endocrinologist. She has seen the days I have below 1000 calories, but also sees the notes pertaining to why - work has often kept me from being able to eat the last meal, but - the meals I did have were healthy, well balanced, low-carb, well hydrated, and she is a SURGEON - someone who knows what its like when the call-of-duty to your job keeps you from being able to eat a full meal, or any meal at all for that one meal period. And, Im stuck in a kitchen for a living - last night alone, I served up over 150 gourmet pizzas - and thats not including appetizer meals at a very large private university. No break for meals because again, life got in the way and business was screaming for coverage. I have management to thank who knows of my medical conditions and they always ask me how Im doing and if Im ok... THAT is the type of support I love... I would never expect to receive that here because I never want people to ASSUME they know what prohibits me from being able to finish the 1200 minimum. The managers I work with also know that if I feel myself getting dizzy or shaky, they know to send me to break right away. And until that happens, I keep working to meet the demands of the business and serve these students and professors a great meal.

Im not about to delete people just because they ate below that 'magic' 1200 calories because who the hell am I to assume they are eating poorly by choice?!

They could have been too busy to post the rest of their meals..
    They could have forgotten the elements of the food they ate...
    They could have been stuck in traffic...
    They could have been so sick, they decided to sleep in...
    They could have been taking care of their own children's needs...

There are too many factors in life for people NOT to post every thing....

one thing is DEFINITELY for sure - you pass judgement on me, YOU are deleted because I wont put up with that....
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    WOW! :o ...
    the person who posted this blog was just voicing her opinion. & i don't believe many doctors/nutritionists will agree that eating (NOT netting) under 1200 calories (almost everyday) is a healthy thing.
    she is simply worried as i would be too.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    DITTO DITTO DITTO...
    Don't be too quick to judge...I eat around 900 -1000 calories and am very healthy...actually haven't been so healthy for years!!! The 1200 is just a base...don't delate your friends just because of the amount they eat...look at how healthy they eat...I've seen people on here 'under' there calories' and they have eaten rubbish all day.....that's much more of a concern I think...
    All the best :heart:
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    the person who posted this blog was just voicing her opinion. & i don't believe many doctors/nutritionists will agree that eating (NOT netting) under 1200 calories (almost everyday) is a healthy thing.

true. however her opinion seemed to be that she would delete people who didnt eat the 'magic number'of calories. some people find that awful and judgemental, as she doesnt know why, eg they could be recommeneded to do this by their dr, or they may be very short and not need the same number of calories as someone else. so rather than finding out, theyd just be deleted.

tbh, if someone deleted me for not eating the amount they think i should id be glad. i made my diary public today but i can see y people wouldnt after reading some peoples opinions.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Obviously someone giving POSITVE feedback is better them someone praising something that is unhealthy. I get positive feedback on my food journal all the time. You can be concerned and try to help and be positive at the same time. This is supposed to be a helpful site, not a site that judges people before they know exactly what is going on. While we will prob never truly know what is going on with people so I try my hardest not to judge anyone. People talking about deleting their buddies simply because they don't eat enough really upset me. Because what if that ONE person you deleted really needed support and guidance to eating better? That is all i was trying to say. I'm sensitive about this subject because I get crap all the time. But no one knows how hard i try every day. all they see is my food being under 1200. Rationalizing my current situation helps ME because I KNOW what issues I have with food and it helps me deal with them. Maybe it seems like excuses to YOU or someone else, but not to me. When I read your response, all I read was someone basically attacking me for what I said. Maybe that was wrong, but that is how I took it. I appreciate your honesty and maybe I'm just too sensitive about this subject.

Except nobody said to just delete anybody that doesn't eat enough. They said ask about it, comment on it, and get an explanation or give advice, and if the person ignores you, then delete them.
  • roxypoptart
    roxypoptart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    wow
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When they log thier calories and push "Complete Entry" it will tell them in bold red letter "YOU ARE EATING TOO FEW CALORIES" and explains that by not eating enough calories you will slow your metabolism down which will make it harder to burn calories because it's burning them at a snails pace. I know I have days when I get busy or I get depressed or just plain lazy and I don't eat my calories and then fear eating them ay night, and I am sure I pay for it, but to consistantly not eat your calories purposely...yes I say be blunt and honest in the friendliest way possible about how negative this will be to thier weight loss and health. You are such a good friend to worry about them! :wink:
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the 'no assumptions people'. This site is supposed to be for encouragement and support NOT for judgement. I have a terrible time with my food. Some days I barely make 900 cals, while others I eat over 1200. I think everyone is different. While I'm sure some DO starve themselves for the weight loss, i think others, like myself, are dealing with outside factors. I'm taking care of a sick father, full time student, and dealing with my own issues with food. You NEVER know what someone is going through or dealing with and should NOT judge them. I struggle every day to just remember to eat. Weight loss is a journey, an evolution, and you learn along the way. I will learn how to juggle all my crap and get my cals back up there but in the meantime, i would HOPE the people who are my 'friends' would support me. All someone can do is try. And if I have to try every day until i get it right, FOR ME, I will. No one is perfect or has the magic cure for weight loss. I'm sure there is something in all of your lives that you do that might not be the best for you, how would you like it if someone judged you for that?????

I totally agree this person about how judgemental people can be on this site. I was feeling really good about myself and when I finally got up the nerve to post a topic I was slammed with negative, sarcastic feedback of people making fun of me. I will never ever start another thread. I barely kept myself from crying at all the cruel comments. I ended up asking them to remove the thread out of embarressment. I have never thought about being mean to anyone at this site. I see everyone as my weight loss family I guess I had thought that meant being able to put my thought, no matter how embaressing, on here for feedback was OK, but no no no. :cry: That is not for the emotional at heart.
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If someone is going to delete you because THEY don't think you eat enough...LET THEM!!!! You don't need them as a friend anyways, find people that will support you:-) On the other side of the debate if you have someone you don't agree with their eating habits and can't be positive and support them then I say yes delete them because you prob won't be a good friend anyways. I personally don't think it's anyones business what I eat or how much! I leave my diary open for 2 reasons, one because it may help people to get ideas on foods to eat and because I am not ashamed of what I eat whether it's under 1200 cals or whether I go over for the day. Losing weight is a process and there are good days and bad days! Constructive criticism is good but we don't need to be judgemental!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have never been mean or rude to anyone on here ....but this thread is killing me here.
    I have the right to choose to be around and to be friends with people who are like me and who support my goals. I also would prefer them to have similar goals as well so I can feel safe in supporting their goals. I have the right to choose what I think is a good choice and what I think is a bad choice. I get to know my friends, so that if they had a bad day or bad week I would probably know about it. In the long run I do not believe that VLCD is a good idea and will lead to healthy lifestyle in the future. There is the rare exception, and if that person was my friend I would probably discuss it with them and know their unique situation.

But have I deleted people for following a lifestyle that I did not agree with ... yes I have. Havent you in real life chosen not to be friends with someone who chooses a lifestyle that you dont support? I know we all do... why would it be different online?

I love my MFP friends... I am actually meeting a bunch of them for a trip in a few weeks... I value my MFP friends and try to stay involved in their lives, but at the end of the day if I cannot support you, then I really shouldn't be your friend.
  • marinewifemeg
    Options
    So do y'all delete people that consistantly go way over their calories? Just playing devil's advocate. :)
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    So do y'all delete people that consistantly go way over their calories? Just playing devil's advocate. :)

Would I delete someone who was over with a reason .... no ... would I delete someone who repeatedly felt the need to be over and talk about it all the time as it was the way to weight gain (opposite of weight loss) then yes I would because their goals and my goals would not be congruent. I have had friends that occasionally had low days and I didnt care... but when people eat VLCD and then flaunt it or make like it is the only way ... then yes I would need to delete.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's really anyone else's business, honestly. I mean, I have anorexia, and have to literally force myself to even get above 800 calories a day. And I hate myself for eating that much. The only reason I do it is because I know that if I ever stop this lifestyle and start eating more, I'll put a ton of weight on. Trust me, I'd love to live on 200 calories a day. But I'm trying to get better. I'm doing my best. I know it would just make things worse if people on here were hassling me about what I eat. I'm doing all I can.
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    ALSO, many people (myself included) find the whole starvation mode thing to be BS. Not everyone agrees with it. Everyone has different opinions Gotta respect those!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    ALSO, many people (myself included) find the whole starvation mode thing to be BS. Not everyone agrees with it. Everyone has different opinions Gotta respect those!

I'm proud of you for trying overcome your disorder ...
    and regarding your above post ... your right I do have to respect your opinion... what I dont have to do is agree with it or support it.
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who may only show 800 or 1000 calories a day. The reason I try to stay around that amount is because I do not log every little bite I eat. I may have bites, licks and tastes of things as I am cooking. I might pick up some candies as I walk by the candy dish. I might add sauce or a condiment that I don't know how to count or log. I feel that it is easy for me to eat 200-500 calories just snacking and not logging it. I find that doing my food journal this way makes me feel less trapped by what I can and what I can't eat. I am definately getting the needed calories though.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I love the irony in this thread. So many people being incredibly judgemental complaining about someone else being judgemental.

Don't be judgemental, unless of course you disagree, then judge all you want, is not how it works. Yes, you can say, "don't judge people for how they eat, that's terrible!" Of course, by insisting on criticizing how they deal with their own friend list, you're being equally judgemental. You can't have it both ways, you can accept that people have different ideas and opinions, or you can judge people based on your own opinion, but you can't do both at the same time. That whole throwing stones in a glass house mentality.
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options

Worried indeed, and I think those that hopped on the defensive train perhaps mistook my intent. I understand that people have reasons for not eating a healthy amount every day (I am guilty of the same for many of the same reasons others have listed) but that is why I work so hard to get myself to eat more. If anyone noticed, my question was HOW could I show concern without seeming pushy. I genuinely care for these people, and that was why this post was created.
    I have never been mean or rude to anyone on here ....but this thread is killing me here.
    I have the right to choose to be around and to be friends with people who are like me and who support my goals. I also would prefer them to have similar goals as well so I can feel safe in supporting their goals. I have the right to choose what I think is a good choice and what I think is a bad choice. I get to know my friends, so that if they had a bad day or bad week I would probably know about it. In the long run I do not believe that VLCD is a good idea and will lead to healthy lifestyle in the future. There is the rare exception, and if that person was my friend I would probably discuss it with them and know their unique situation.

But have I deleted people for following a lifestyle that I did not agree with ... yes I have. Havent you in real life chosen not to be friends with someone who chooses a lifestyle that you dont support? I know we all do... why would it be different online?

I love my MFP friends... I am actually meeting a bunch of them for a trip in a few weeks... I value my MFP friends and try to stay involved in their lives, but at the end of the day if I cannot support you, then I really shouldn't be your friend.

Yes, I am considering deleting a few of the people I am friends with, but people assuming I am just going to jab at the delete button because I think they are eating so few calories are being much more judgmental than they assume I am being. The post was about asking for advice on how to work with my friends to get to the root of the problem, but instead of getting actually helpful advice, I was met with rage, lol.