multivitamins...yay or nay

Options
Just curious on what you all think about multi-vitamins.
I took them for a while until it became quite obvious that they were causing me stomach issues and uh "backing me up"
I've decided to stop taking them b/c its not worth it to me.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I take a multi every day.

Have you tried a different brand of multi to see if your issue goes away?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yay.

It's very difficult if not impossible to get all of your daily micronutrient requirements through just food.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely Yay.

My diet is REALLY unbalanced, so it's almost a necessity for me.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Absolutely YAY.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you are deficient in a vitamin/nutrient or have been advised by a physician to take a supplement I say nay. There have been several recent studies linking vitamin supplements to increased risk of disease so if you are not deficient, why risk it?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Again and again, scienctific studies suggest that there is no benefit to vitamin supplements if you are healthy and eat a balanced diet.

super-breakfast.jpg
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Better to get your vitamins from whole foods as your body absorbs it better but if you can't then a multi will do.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    YES! Make sure you take with food, to avoid an upset stomach. I usually take one with/after dinner.
    Maye you need to work more Fiber & Water into you diet it your "backed up" AND try a different brand name of a MultiV.
  • xshaheenx
    Options
    Women's One a Day Multivitamin. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Definitely a major yay and if one brand doesn't sit well with you...try another. I personally cycle between 3 brands.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I think that if your diet is correct & you are healthy... those pills just make some very expensive urine :wink:

This is a pubmed review:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19234992

"Major conclusions include the following: While recommendations that older adults take a daily MVM are common, there is limited scientific support for the health-related efficacy of these supplements"

"Only when intake/status of these nutrients is not optimal"
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Unless you are deficient in a vitamin/nutrient or have been advised by a physician to take a supplement I say nay. There have been several recent studies linking vitamin supplements to increased risk of disease so if you are not deficient, why risk it?

1. Do you know for a fact that you are getting your micronutrients daily from whole foods?

2. If you are going to make blanket statements about "there have been several recent studies", but then don't post or cite the studies then...well you know... ;-)
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Def Yay! My doc says you could eat a perfect diet and still need them. I take Women's softgels b/c they are more likely to disolve and do their job. If I forget a day or two im so lethargic!
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mine made me nauseous, heard that was quite common. My doctor recommended taking it at night before bed, it's worked great for me.
  • GsimmonsSC
    GsimmonsSC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to a higher level of B vitamins - thus the stomach issues. High levels of potassium can lead to "plumbing blockage" :) . I would try another multi-vitamin and perhaps up your fiber.

YAY on the vitamins.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I get nauseous a lot with multivitamins but I can honestly say that I feel much better when I take one that doesn't make me sick. I found one at Whole Foods (not too expensive but more than what you will pay at Walmart). Rainbow Light Women's One - Food-Based Multivitamin - Heart, Bone & Breast Health - 800 IU Vitamin D3 & Probiotics - Gentle on the Stomach. So far I can take this multivitamin everyday and not get sick. Good Luck!! This is all I take - I don't load up on any other supplements.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Def. Yay
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Okay, I'll bite. Where are said studies?

I'll bet I can find a study "linking" eating spinach to some form of cancer.

I know you've heard this before. Correlation does not imply causation.

*sigh*
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    1. Do you know for a fact that you are getting your micronutrients daily from whole foods?

Yes. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and common sense. Healthy people shouldn't really worry tho.
    2. If you are going to make blanket statements about "there have been several recent studies", but then don't post or cite the studies then...well you know... ;-)

You have a review in my post

before a battle starts here:
    - If you think they work for you, do whatever you please! (they have risks but those aren't that hight).
    - If your doctor told you to take them, means you are not a healthy adult or he knows you need them for some reason, so take them.
    - If you never took them or don't want to take them: you will be fine :wink:
    - If you feel bad because you are not taking them and you think you should and you are low on cash... save that money for a healthier diet! Don't waste it on expensive pee.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I have never been a vitamin taker but my husband is and he's much healthier than I. So along with joining this site, finally listening to my husband about nutrition and vitamins, and eating better. I am now taking vitamins and asked my physician which one's I should take related to my age. So if you need advice ask your Doctor they will let you know how much of every thing you need daily. So I say "YES" :smile: