Anyone Doing low carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• ImNotStarving
    Options
    I'm doing low carb, and I feel great. Not deprived. When you're eating so many carbs (even on a low cal diet), it's not easy to imagine drastically cutting your carb intake being easy but... it is for me. And I loved noodles, bread, rice and sugar... I mean, they were staples. Minus the sugar part... that was a treat LOL.
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat a diet high in complex carbohydrates...hardly any simple carbs...

It's interesting to look up the research on successful maintainers (like myself) and what kind of "diet" they choose to maintain larg-ish losses over time. (National Weight Loss Registry/Miriam Hospital study that I'm part of) and it's NOT a high protein diet...just sayin'...

But not saying that protein is bad. I get plenty of that as well! But the bulk of my calories are complex carbs (fruit, veggies, whole grains...you know...the good stuff).

:)
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Of course...you gotta go with what works for YOU...not me or anyone else...but YOU.

Gotta qualify what I said being that I'm NOT a nutritionist, doctor or whatever...just someone who found what works for her and lost 120 lbs. doing it...I have friends who think the only thing is high protein and they lose weight on it (it's that calories in vs. calories out thingy for sure!)

:)
  • Tinkerbella831
    Options
    Okay today most of my carbs came from dairy and veggies and fruits which are good carbs. I think I will be able to do this. Cross my fingers:frown:
  • tjtemple
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm doing low carb and love how it makes me feel. Full of energy, rarely hungry and totally in control.

Sad thing is I am not losing any weight!! However I am losing inches, am less bloated and my BP and cholesterol are way better so I will stick with it! I think perhaps I need to weigh my "low carb/high cal" ingredients like mayo, butter, cream and cheese to make sure I am not blowing my calories in/calories out ratio.

Tracey
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally agree with you on the feeling better thing! I have always eaten this way just because...but now I just started really tracking carbs and proteins to lose weight. I aim for under 100 grams carbs and 75-150 grams of protein. I'm having a hard time keeping my calories down, but maybe this doesn't really matter as much. I seem to be losing weight regardless. Do you eat a lot of veggies? I think it's important not to just be a carnivore.
    I f you are not losing weight, but you're losing inches, I think it's a good thing! How long have you been doing this?
    You can add me as friend if you want!:flowerforyou:
  • krisinky
    Options
    I have been low carb since 2003 except for the times I was pregnant or breastfeeding. But, my girls are two and have ever since. I try to keep mine under 50 a day. I might put 1/2 cup in with homemade red sauce and sausage. Just enough carbs and that is not everdy day. Lots of griled meat with veggies and salads and low carb wraps for lunch. I must add I have PCOS and it is very hard for me to lose. If I didn't eat this way, I would be huge. I am 58 and weigh 165. Would love to be down to 145 but nothing seems to be working. Keep my calories around 1700 and carbs under 50. I walk 3 miles at least 5 days a week. I am very discouraged right now but I will just keep trying.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Kykykenna

I am curious how you got 53g? Did you do a percentage? I am not totally avoiding carbs, just watching how many and what kind I eat....only curious as to how you got 53? :)

All i did was go into my setting a switch my carb intake that the system generated and reversed it with my protein. So before the system generated that I only have 53g of protein and 190+ g of carbs.

Martinah4- I am just going by what the site generates that is why I am asking I am confused and it is something new to me. Like how do you know what the net carb is. Would be able to point me in the right direction.

When doing low-carb, most people take the fiber out of the count. So on your nutrition label, Carbs - Fiber = Net Carbs.
    I follow Atkins. Every plan is a little different, but most would all agree that with low-carb you want to avoid foods that are processed or refined or starchy. Avoid foods like potatos, rice, pasta, anything made with white flour, anything that comes in a box or package. You want to buy veggies, eat lots of salads, and avoid foods that contain sugars, or any "sugar" ending in "-ose". Avoid sauces and dressings that have a lot of sugars. Do not buy foods that are "Low-Fat". Foods that are labeled Low-Fat usually have added more sugars or sugar substitutes to replace the fat and still taste good. Shop for foods on the outside of the stores where the meat, cheese and produce are. Most of the aisle food is stuff you want to avoid.
    It sounds limiting, but it's not! There are so many choices, and recipes out there if you know where to look!
    I hope this helps...good luck!
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    love my low carb!! i feel better, no bloating....upset tummy....or sugar headaches. i keep my carbs between 20-40 a day. :) good luck