Treadmill suggestions?

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
Well - it's happened... I borrowed my moms treadmill to get me started and it turns out that even though a treadmill hasn't been "used" for 11 years... it can be "worn out". It would appear that the motor is going bad... grrrr.

Seeing as me being without a treadmill is simply not an option... I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good ones/advice on bad ones, etc.

I'll be buying two... one for my parents, who are in their 60s and one for me. My mom has fibromyalgia and needs something that will feel very sturdy. They will probably not do more than walk on theirs.

I'm looking for something that can grow with my fitness level. I'm not running yet - but I will eventually.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts...

Replies

• sonjavon
    Options
    Well - it's happened... I borrowed my moms treadmill to get me started and it turns out that even though a treadmill hasn't been "used" for 11 years... it can be "worn out". It would appear that the motor is going bad... grrrr.

Seeing as me being without a treadmill is simply not an option... I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good ones/advice on bad ones, etc.

I'll be buying two... one for my parents, who are in their 60s and one for me. My mom has fibromyalgia and needs something that will feel very sturdy. They will probably not do more than walk on theirs.

I'm looking for something that can grow with my fitness level. I'm not running yet - but I will eventually.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts...
  • thegillio
    thegillio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used my Proform for 10 yrs now with no problems.I purchased it at Sam's club. I have used it 5 days a week and my husband uses it in bad weather. It has programmed exercise sessions -heart rate on the handle and folds up to save space. I love it- Hope this helps- Linda
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart and love it.....there are some threads below about it. The first one is from Walmart and the second is a review elsewhere. The second one gives more actual info about the treadmill specifics. The reviewer said he wouldn't recommend it because of the small running surface but I have never really had a problem. I don't run but walk really fast (4-4.5 MPH) and don't feel like I am going to fall off or anything. It also has some progams on it for weight loss and 10,000 steps. It was about $400 when I got it 2 years ago but I am not sure what the price is now. Well worth it for me. Our basement even flooded and it didn't mess it up at all.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/5156101/reviews.htm

http://www.exerciseequipmentexpert.com/treadmills/image15.5-treadmill.html
  • lreilly16
    lreilly16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a sole F80 and it is awesome! It folds up to save space, is extremely sturdy, and comes with a heart rate monitor. You can wear it around your waist ( under your pec muscles) so you know if you are in your fat burning zone. It also has hand grips that measure your heart rate. But the best part is it has an IPOD adapter so you can play songs from your IPOD through the built in speakers. I have attached the link if you want to check it out further.

http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=F80&gclid=CP68u6Go2pkCFSQMDQodEAjKWg
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    We have a Sole model as well. We've had it about 4 yrs and my husband trains for marathons on it, so it had to be a good one. I love it!
  • whiplsh
    whiplsh Posts: 5
    Options
    I just purchased a Proform XP crosswalk. I LOVE IT!!! It has the and adjustable tension cushion for the treadmill platform so that you can change the impact amount from firm (walking) to soft (running). This works great because Im a walker and my husband uses it for running and we both love it! It also has the moveable arms that you can walk with, and it folds up for storage. I just got it at Sears a couple weeks ago, they were on sale so it wasnt a scary price either. :) I got this because my parents have had Proform for years and are very happy with it. Good Luck and Happy Treadmill Hunting!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    we have a proform xp. just got it 4 weeks ago and love it. we looked at the walmart ones and thought they were too "cheapy.." ours was just a bit more in price, ($500 in southern Cal) also definitely want the longer running surface... I felt under 20" was to short. Try to look at the, Play it Again Sports, stores in your area. We got ours at our local Sear's Outlet, great quality, great for both walking and running. I have now starting running and love it. I am up to 1.5 mile's without stopping/ and 3 sessions of 3-4 miles each week. I walk the rest of the days , so I am working out on my treadmil between 17-20 miles a week, then my husband uses it on his days off, so it gets alot of use and it is working great. good luck.
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    Sears always has great values for treadmills - and for high quality machines.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I was thinking sears would be the place to go for a treadmill. I was wrong. I got a Nordictrack. I do like it, it is a beautiful machine. It has a TV on it, nice spacious track, ajustable cushion deck, ifit, and at a good price. But I have been fixing on it all the time! Thank the Lord I bought the extended warrienty but I am constantly calling them (and on hold for ever) all the time. They are coming to replace 8 different parts on it soon. Had it one year and already need a new motor, and have had a new track 2 times! It has never quit completely but there is always some weird noise, broken fan or other annoying problem. My next treadmill wont be a Nordictrack.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the info on the NordicTrack. We actually ended up going with the Horizon T1201... DH wasn't quite ready to buy the Spirit that I REALLY wanted ($1399) so we went with the $899 model. It was a toss up between the NordicTrack and the Horizon - but in the end I found better reviews on the Horizon.

It doesn't have as many bells and whistles... I really wanted the fan and the I-fit - but it's a nice smooth ride and it's really quiet. The other thing it doesn't have that my old one did is... when you put your age and weight in to have it calculate the number of calories burned. This one just tell you a "guess" of the number of calories you've burnt... so, the next thing on my wish list is a HRM!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY NORDIC TRAC! I bought it 8 years ago from sears, it was a floor model and I got it for $750, originally $1600. It came with all the warranties and other than having to adjust the belt about a year ago I have had absolutely NO problems with mine!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT :wink: :love: :love:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I LOVE MY NORDIC TRAC! I bought it 8 years ago from sears, it was a floor model and I got it for $750, originally $1600. It came with all the warranties and other than having to adjust the belt about a year ago I have had absolutely NO problems with mine!

That might be because you got it 8 years ago. I heard from someone that it is recently that the quality of them has went down. Mine was a floor model too, and the ifit is so cool, I just wish it didn't have all those little problems. Kind of a bummer.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

That might be because you got it 8 years ago. I heard from someone that it is recently that the quality of them has went down. Mine was a floor model too, and the ifit is so cool, I just wish it didn't have all those little problems. Kind of a bummer.

Unfortunately not much is made well anymore...Best choice is to find one with a warranty and if you get 4-5 years out of it you probably have gotten your moneys worth considering the cost of a treadmill is roughly that of a years gym membership (well one for the whole family).