Exercise for super morbid obese

Options

Replies

• diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im a kinesiologist, but in no way should you be taking any advice from this site without seeking a personalized professional approach.

that said, start with baby steps and work your way up, its gonna take some patience. At your weight even going from a sit to stand is a lot of work. you could invest in some tera-bands, rubber tubes to give resistance so from a sitting or lying down position you could pull the tubes in different directions to get some exercise.

i'm not sure of your personal conditions but if you can do sit-to-stand, that would be good, do as many as you can comfortably do, then work your way up to more stands everyday, and then gradually increase the time you spend standing

Any movement will help, but you will see most of your gains initially through your food. as that gets better so too will the activity
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started this journey in February at 240lbs. I have lost 50lbs with very little exercise. I have changed my eating habits into eating many small meals throughout the day. I've really made an honest effort to try to make healthier choices. I read labels, limit my sugar and drink plenty of water. I have 8oz of Silk Almond Milk most mornings with breakfast, the rest of the day is strictly water.

Now that I have dropped some lbs, its easier for me when I do work out, and I have a lot more energy and stamina. Start off with changing your diet and eating habits. Once you start feeling more energy, take short walks, try water exercises at a local gym if possible. Water exercises make it a lot easier because there is so much less stress on your joints.

Good luck to you on your journey!!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hey, all the above advice is great, and I would agree with most of it...

I started out at 476 lbs, and would stick to walking.. That was my main form of exercise for the first 100lbs or so, when i hit 375lbs I discovered running, and the rest as they say was history!

Feel free to add me as a friend, and check my site out www.500lbs2marathon.com, contact me if u want to talk or have any questions..

Best of luck to you!!! This can be done!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1)<3 for you taking control and wanting to make a difference in your life and health
    2)I, as others have recommended, 100% feel you should first talk to your doctor. Let them help you get set up with the right professionals to help you figure out a plan for not only exercise but eating. Also have them do any testing/physicals that may need to be done to ensure you are ok to start implementing these changes.
    3)If given the all clear to start some small basic exercises. Walking, swimming in the pool, using small/light hand-weights to help build upper body strength would get you on your way with healthy eating while waiting to meet with all the right people who can really get you going!

I wish you tons of luck and courage in your journey. You've made one of the hardest steps already, it can and only will get better. Stay strong, stay positive.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with all these comments:

-Get professional oversight
    -Get your diet in order - not just calorie reduction, but making sure the calories you eat are good ones from "real" foods (which will also help you not feel deprived) including vegetables, beans, lean meats and dairy, with minimal salt
    -Get in a pool if at all possible and move for as long as you can with reasonable comfort
    -Walk as far as you can without killing your joints while moving your arms up and down (try slow-punching over your head or in front of you)

And one more thought:
    Add arm strength training and at least stomach contractions if not crunches. Get cans of food or bottles of water if you do not have light dumbbells (3 - 5 pounds) and follow instructions for basic arm exercises, not pushing beyond what your joints can handle. I know at your size, diet comes first and will be the biggest key, and people can do well to start losing this way, but if you have a little bit of exercise - whatever walking and swimming you can do plus a couple of biceps curls or side flies, for instance - you may protect whatever muscle you do have, a bit, from being burned along with your fat, and this will help your metabolism in the long run as you lose more.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult a doctor-- You are in somewhat of a special category, and what works for most people won't really be do-able for you (yet!!)

Maybe some cardio that is upper-body-only could work... like punching (just don't over-extend your elbows) or raising your arms up and down like you were doing jumping jacks-- but the arms only for now.

You really should be under a doctor's supervision, so they can monitor any health issues you may be dealing with. Good luck!!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Its funny to see this post well not funny ironic. I have a patient like you who has given up completely

First of all congrats and applause for seeking advice

There are arm workouts you can do from you chair also upper body

Swimming is another option

Do you suffer from Lymphedema....Going to therapy sessions to help this will bring down some of your fluid...I only ask because if there are any open wounds leaking swimming wont be an option until they heal.

Bottom line hun....Move your body as much as you can. Do not stay immobile..Get up walk around for 10 min at a time. Rest repeat as often as you can.

I wish you the best of luck Please do not give up
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    Water is the best!! I too struggled with walking even short distances at first because my back would kill me!! I actually took a couple of months to just get in the water and diet, once I shed a bit of weight, walking became easier. You can do it!!:)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Do what you can as often as you can, the best that you can. NEVER give up. Good luck!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    at walmart for 20 bucks they have a peddle thingy (forget what it is called) you can sit in a chair and peddle. That way you could do a short walk then peddle a few times a day....since you cant stand or sit for long this may give you the back and forth you need :) good luck!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert (and I firmly echo others' recommendations to consult a physician), and I hate to say that I'm suggesting this from watching reality TV (*hangs head in shame*), but I do think it may be valid here:

One thing that struck me was a statement that a physical trainer made to a morbidly obese individual who was trying to get into shape but was not able to be very mobile for very long. She said that the key to starting exercise for people at this weight/health range is to just MOVE. Exercise doesn't have to be very lengthy or intense; the individual just needed to do more movement than what they were doing before. So if the individual would, for example, make 3 laps around the living room 5 times per day -- however long it took them to do it -- it would be enough of a start because anything was better than sitting on the couch all day (which is what this individual had been doing).

Weight loss at the beginning for this individual would be driven a lot by caloric deficit (healthy eating!) more than exercise simply because freedom of movement was limited. The purpose of the "movements" or exercise would be to get long-unused muscles to start working again, building strength and balance and control. As progress continued, the balance of effectiveness of diet/exercise would shift toward exercise so that, eventually, diet and exercise would contribute more equally toward weight loss.

Yes, this is pure hearsay from watching a reality show (not "The Biggest Loser" -- I think it was a show that followed a fitness camp), but I hope it helps.
  • shcarter67
    Options
    Hi there. Something you may want to look into is a pedal exerciser. I think it would be helpful because you can either pedal with your feet or use your hands. Even if you only did it by hand at first, this would at least get you moving. Any exercise is beneficial. Good luck with your journey. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hey, all the above advice is great, and I would agree with most of it...

I started out at 476 lbs, and would stick to walking.. That was my main form of exercise for the first 100lbs or so, when i hit 375lbs I discovered running, and the rest as they say was history!

Feel free to add me as a friend, and check my site out www.500lbs2marathon.com, contact me if u want to talk or have any questions..

Best of luck to you!!! This can be done!

Wow, I didn't see this earlier. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You rock! You are ready to make a change and that takes courage that most people don't have. Hooray for you!!! Your calorie intake is most important, even more than exercise. I'd be concerned also about your heart rate. Your heart is working overtime just to get blood to your extremities right now. Any kind of movement burns calories and raised your heart rate, so you will do well just lifting your arms and legs even if you are stuck in bed. If you are blessed to be able to walk around, by all means, make an effort to walk around a little more each day. But please check into recipes that include fruits and veggies. That's the key to keeping you feeling satisfied while you go through this journey. You are in the right place. Many of us had a lot to lose.... (like Gary, "500lbs2marathon"... befriend him for sure) and we've done it. You can do this too. It's not brain surgery. It's actually simple. But, unfortunately, the difficult part is getting and keeping our brains motivated. We are our own worst enemies. Keep looking at success stories. Write down what you want to be able to do that you can't now. Think about being healthy. Think good, healthy thoughts. Think about what you like already about yourself, and what makes you special in this world... like being a loving dad, or thoughtful husband, or generous person, whatever. Please note that you are in control of your thoughts, and when you feel defeated (at times we all feel that way) take charge and change your thoughts. Your brain is the key to reaching any and all of your goals.

Best of luck! I'm sending good thoughts your way! :-)
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice to offer that hasn't already been given. I just wanted to say WTG for deciding to do something about it. When I started, I was pushing 400lbs. I know firsthand that it's not an easy choice to make - I always equated it to feeling like I had this enormous mountain in front of me and there I was standing at the bottom. Wishing I could just snap my fingers and be on the other side. Here's the thing - I found that *making* the decision to make changes in my life gave me a turbo pack to really get moving. The other thing that I found - just take it one step at a time. Literally and figuratively. Feel free to Friend me. MFP is a great tool and the friends that I've made here have been a huge support and asset in my weightloss and I would happy to be a part of your journey as well. :-) *hugs* and good luck to you!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i can only ditto what everyone has already said on here. When i first joined, i was nearing 400lbs and it was SCARY. I know what that first step is like. GOOD FOR YOU for doing it!! it does get easier. just don't give up. don't ever give up.

YOU ROCK!!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Just start off by getting in some short walks. But I do agree with the above poster that you should consult an exercise physiologist.

This.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best place to start... as you continue to become more able to exercise you can increase from there.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    congrats on making the decision to change your life! say goodbye to old you. be 100% committed. listen to gary aka 500lbstomarathon. we believe in you!