Cold or Warm? Which burns more Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This!!

You burn more calories when your body is trying to heat itself. But sitting in a cold room isn't going to do you any good!!

If you really want to be cold and burn calories go tread water in the cold part of the public swimming pool, or better yet..do laps!

Plus you are probably just exhausting yourself sitting in a cold room, and sapping all your energy. I know when I am cold I get really sleepy.

My body is a bit different then others. I'm warm when others are freezing. I'm awake when its cold out and sleepy when its warm. I need a hot shower or an electric blanket at night to warm up my body to fall asleep because I don't generate enough heat on my own to warm up under the covers enough to fall asleep. I usually wear a t-shirt when its 10 C or 50 F out and don't put a jacket on until its -15 or 5 F. Yes this may be why I ponder weird things.

FYI - When you are cold - your body is cold - your body goes into survival mode and starts to slow your metabolism down so even if you are shivering, your metabolism is conserving every calorie it possibly can.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you'll lose weight if you eat less and exercise more!

Must be true — I read it on the internet!
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    the question is also because I was wondering if you really do burn more calories when you practie yoga in a hot room? Yes I ponder stupid things sometimes.

No, you don't burn more calories. You might SWEAT more, and it can certainly help your muscles to be a tad bit more limber.