Personal Trainer

Options
I'm toying with an idea... and I thought I'd pick people's brains on here just 'cause.

I'm at the stage in my weight-loss routine where I need to up the ante. I need to work out more, focus on physical fitness instead of on just on counting calories and walking each day. But I have some limitations- time, money, and a physical illness that causes chronic fatigue and chronic joint/muscle pain every single day regardless of whether I work out or not.

I've also learned that I don't stick with an exercise routine unless I have help... that help might be something like an exercise partner or a coach, but it needs to be someone aware of me personally and aware of my needs.

So... even though I have limited funds... I've been toying with the idea of finding a personal trainer. However, I have no idea where to look. I have no idea how much something like that would cost. And I have no idea if a trainer would even help me.

Finding a good trainer/coach has to be at least a little complicated, right? It seems like opinions on health are a dime a dozen... I'd want someone who really knows their stuff, not someone who just works out a lot and who's going to push his/her favorite brand of nutritional supplement.

So... I don't know. I'm toying with the idea, but I just don't have enough 'data' to decide if it's a good idea to find someone or not. I might be better off just trying to exercise on my own... Or maybe trying to find some 'kid' around college who can show me how to lift properly once or twice and then I can call it good and see how I do.

I should probably add that I know water aerobics/swimming is good for people like me with joint problems, but I don't like it. I already know that I won't stick with any program that requires me to get into a swimming suit and into water. It's just never going to happen. So the exercises I'm most interested in right now are yoga and weight lifting. I don't want to do anything that is high impact. My joints hurt without me bouncing around on them. I don't wanna add to that.

Thoughts? Help me flesh out this idea and decide if it's worth doing more with the idea than flirt.

Thanks

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Do it. Find a trainer. Any trainer will do, so long as he or she has credibility. That is EXACTLY what you need right now.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    An educated and smart trainer knows how to train any human being. I didn't feel like editing my post.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    google "theraputic yoga" in your area. for someone like you, that is where you should go. classes are small and they fit the moves to each person and their "special needs." I know..I have an artifical hip..some stuff is just off my radar, and they know that. If you can find a class where the instructor is a Physical Therapist, you'll be golden.
    Good Luck! :drinker:
  • JCGilbert
    Options
    Can your Dr. refer you to a physical therapist? Even if it's only a few sessions they could work you out w/ consideration of your medical issues AND maybe insurance would cover some/all of the cost? From the Physical Therapist you may be able to get the name of a Personal Trainer that they would recommend.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree, do it. Go to a local gym and ask about personal training. For me, I chose my trainer because he used to teach a body pump class at the gym. I've been going to him for 4 months now, almost 5 months, and I have only lost about 8 pounds since I started, but my body shape has totally changed. If funds are an issue, ask if they have small "group training" classes. That is something else my gym offers. They limit the class to about 10 people and do a group training session. You can also ask if you could get a discount if you and say 1 other person trained together. I need my trainer because if I didn't go to him 3 days a week, I would barely ever exercise. And he pushes me to what I feel like is the absolute most I can handle. I love it, I highly recommend it. Good luck!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is a great idea. The best place to start is by asking local gyms. If you don't have a gym membership they can point you in a good direction to find a trainer. If you belong to a gym they usually will do an initial training session with a trainer so you can decide if the trainer works for you. In the first session ask them lots of questions, but do the research into the answers before you go so you know if they are giving you credible information.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My gym offers a FREE personal training session once a month and so far I've seen two separate trainers that were great.

If I remember correctly, at my gym they charge roughly between 35-40 dollars for a 30-minute session (I'm in Washington State).

I'm trying to pay off all my @#$ student loan debt, but if I had the cash I would definitely pay to see them once a week.

My trainer pushes me harder than I have ever pushed myself in my life. She makes it so I can do the exercises that I don't think I can and won't let me give up because it's "too hard".

I think you should see if you can score a free training session with a new trainer to test them out or pay for one session at a time to make sure they work for you (my gym has trainers try to sell the sessions in bulk, so you buy 6 weeks at a time, etc.)

It will be money well spent!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've really liked working with personal trainers. Not only did they have ideas for how to change up my workout in ways that I hadn't thought of, but the motivation was a big deal for me. Just having someone right there pushing me was great.

I used trainers associated with the gym I went to, and I think I probably got lucky. I've definitely heard stories of some odd-sounding trainers.
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd look into one of those smaller gyms that focus on personal trainers. We have one here called Precision Personal Training. I'm sure you have some wherever you live. I say this only because I had a personal trainer at one of the larger gyms and it didn't feel personal at all. It felt like for 30 mins he pushed me hard and made small talk. I was having issues with my stomach at the time where I'd get sick and feel like I had to throw up. His only suggestion was to eat something before I came, but that didn't help and I still would get sick sometimes. I think a smaller gym that focuses on personal training would have probably worked a lot better.
  • almostfit400
    Options
    Sounds like you definitely need a trainer. If you belong to a gym, check out the trainers at your gym. See who's style of training might work for you. Find out their fitness background. Most trainers can train a healthy person that has no health/physical issues. Someone skilled in rehab/physical therapy as well as personal training might be a good fit for you. You have lots of options. Do your research! Good luck!
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I'll just tell you why *I* love my trainer. I worked with a different trainer for my first free session and I didn't like him at all!!! Then when I had a different session with my trainer I knew we clicked well. She pushed me hard but also acknowledged my limits. She said things to me like "you can do anything for 15 seconds" and you know, she was right, even if I didn't believe her the first few times she said it to me. In 6 weeks I've gotten to a place I never thought possible, today I was jogging around the room in intervals and dare I say, it was easy and felt great! I'd never have thought I'd be able to say that before!!! I can only afford one session a week (it's $20 for 1/2 hr session so I pay $80/mo on top of my $30/mo fee for the gym) but she'll text me throughout the week checking on how I'm doing, what classes I'm taking and how I feel. The extra support is SO worth it, honestly if all I got was her 1/2 hr each week I might think of not doing it but really it's motivating knowing that someone is out there that is working with me to achieve my goals. The downfall of a gym buddy is finding one that will want to take the same sort of classes as you and also won't give up.

Good luck to you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd totally recommend the book I'm using: New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Yeah, talk to a doctor and/or a physical therapist first. Jeremy was just told to never do squats due to his back problems so it would be good to be aware of any limitations you have. I don't know, I've never worked with a trainer. Not sure they are needed. I did take weight lifting classes in college and high school so I've got the basics figured out, but New Rules explains form and such pretty well too.

Go find out about the gym at your school. They might even have some student trainers for cheaper (Mines even does). A big school like yours probably has an exercise science program with students who need/want to work with people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Things to look for in a trainer.

1. Their experience. If they've done it less than 2 years, their knowledge is more than likely very limited.

2. Make sure they fit YOU. Some like hardcore, some like compassionate, some like militant. Personalities do matter.

3.Ask for references or check their success records. As a trainer I get permission from all my past clients to use them as a reference since their success shows my capabilities.

4. Make sure they are FIT. Nothing worse than taking advice from a trainer who won't do it for themselves. That means that trainer will usually let you slack because they do it.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, all! I'll dig around and see what I can find.

@Rachel- I thought about getting that book before you even mentioned it. I know it's been great for you. I haven't done much lifting, though. Is it something a non-athlete can do? Are the diagrams clear enough?
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Thanks for the input, all! I'll dig around and see what I can find.

@Rachel- I thought about getting that book before you even mentioned it. I know it's been great for you. I haven't done much lifting, though. Is it something a non-athlete can do? Are the diagrams clear enough?

I'd think so. I think you can preview the first chapter on Amazon. I'm only in stage 1 but those moves are pretty basic. You can start things with body weight if they are too hard.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    So I did look up the membership fee for the fitness center on campus- $70/semester or $200/year for staff. And they do offer Personal Trainers- $60/session or $210 for 4 sessions. I'll go take a gander at it :P See if I like the facility. I doubt I'll find a better membership fee. The personal trainer seems a bit high... but then I don't have a clue what personal trainers normally cost.

I'm gonna look into some yoga classes near campus or at home too. The university offers yoga classes too, but not therapeutic classes and I like the idea of something a bit more personal and more tailored to my needs and less nameless-face-in-crowd.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So I did look up the membership fee for the fitness center on campus- $70/semester or $200/year for staff. And they do offer Personal Trainers- $60/session or $210 for 4 sessions. I'll go take a gander at it :P See if I like the facility. I doubt I'll find a better membership fee. The personal trainer seems a bit high... but then I don't have a clue what personal trainers normally cost.

Is it $60 for one hour sessions? If so, I think it's an average price.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Is it $60 for one hour sessions? If so, I think it's an average price.

Yes, one hour session. And thanks... that's good to know.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yes, one hour session. And thanks... that's good to know.

That is what it is at my gym too, unless you buy a big package and then it's $45-50. Which I just did! I really like having a trainer and I hope you find what you need!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Yeah, $210 a year isn't bad at all, and 1-2 sessions might be a good idea if you can afford it.