Wisdom Teeth.. :( Yikes!

Options
Hey MFP! I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out next week. Was wondering what type of healthy foods you ate during recovery?? And if you don't mind me asking, what was your experience with having your wisdom teeth removed? How long did your face swell for? I am honestly a bit nervous to get them removed because I've heard some horrid stories about the pain after, face swelling for 2 weeks - YIKES... and it just doesn't sound so pleasant lol :\ But I actually can't wait to get them removed, my right side of my face has seem to be swelling up a bit due to the pain. Any responses are appreciated, thanks!

** the pain is super killer right now. I've been using Sensodyne toothpaste to take away the pain for a bit until next weeks appointment with my oral surgeon. they have been grown out pretty much.. but for some reason, my right side is killing me and the top part - it seems to have grown out more.. not quite sure what is going on, I can't wait to get them removed!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I got mine taken out in high school. You're pretty much limited to liquid for a day or three, followed by a soft food intake. I looked like a chipmunk for about a week and a half.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hey! You'll be okay - I was swollen for a few days, but I iced like my doctor told me to and everything was okay! Just be sure to rinse like they say also so you don't get dry sockets.

As far as food goes - I'd suggest smoothies/shakes with some protein (like peanut butter or protein powder) and/or veggies in them. You should be able to move on to mashed potatoes after a few days though!

Good luck!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mine weren't that bad. The swelling really just depends. My older sister's swelled insanely b/c her had waited to long to be removed. Same goes with the bruising...it varies. Dry sockets suck so be careful to avoid what they tell you to avoid. I ate a lot of soft foods....really just eat what you can. The first few days I didn't eat much b/c it hurt too much and the pain meds made me sick :/
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    HI

I know everyones experiences are different, i get that and people normally moan about my response but here goes...

I had all 4 out whilst under and woke up groggy and sore. No overnight stay, just made me eat soup and icecream before they discharged me.

When i got home my face was numb and my mouth felt weird. My holes were stitched and i was given no specific advice about what i couldnt eat, just told no smoking and alcohol (no probs for me) so i within minutes of being home i took advantage of the anesthetic still going and gingerly ate chicken....no probs.

My operation and missing teeth went on to cause no problems at all....i was really hoping for some related weight loss and it just didnt happen. Apart from the stitches which i found gross sticking up out the corners of my jaw i had no problems, no swelling after the first day.

I was off work a week, i felt rough due to having the anesthetic more than anything for the first 48 hours.

Just be sensible and avoid anything really hard or crunchy and you might be surprised how ordinarily you eat so long as you rinse properly to make sure you have no unwanted food hanging around in the wounds.

This is just me...maybe i was lucky....tonsils on the other hand was the most horrific 2 weeks of my life... be grateful its just your wisdoms

Good luck!!!
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last year...all 4 of them at the same time. It wasn't bad at all, actually. It took them about 45 minutes total, from the time I went in, until the time I was walking out the door. The swelling and bleeding weren't too horrible for me and no stitches were necessary. I think being only 22, you shouldn't have many complications either. Are you going to a surgeon, or just your dentist?

For the rest of the day, I stuck with slim fast or protein shakes. For the next week or so, I just made sure that what I was eating was fairly easy to chew and wasn't something that could easily break off and get stuck in the gaping holes where my wisdom teeth once resided :grumble: I did clean them out after every meal using a sulca brush (a dental brush that has far fewer bristles than a toothbrush and easily reaches the back of the mouth).

If you are experiencing pain at the moment from your wisdom teeth, you will be appreciative that you had them removed...the relief of pressure was well worth it! Good luck!
  • kp31275
    kp31275 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was hungry when I got home from the surgery so I had some oatmeal. You could also eat applesauce . . .really just anything soft that doesn't really have to be chewed. I really didn't have any problems afterwards. I felt significantly better after 3 days and was back at school. The biggest thing for me was getting used to eating regular foods because it did take a while for me to feel like I could chew and eat anything crunchy.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of mine out at the same time under general anaesthetic. My face didn't swell much more stiffened ridiculously. I could hardly open my mouth to eat much so I pretty much lived on soup and fluids and things I could swallow without chewing for about a week.

You'll be fine, the painkillers they gave me were lifesavers xx
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all the respones!! I appreciate it! <3

I had mine removed last year...all 4 of them at the same time. It wasn't bad at all, actually. It took them about 45 minutes total, from the time I went in, until the time I was walking out the door. The swelling and bleeding weren't too horrible for me and no stitches were necessary. I think being only 22, you shouldn't have many complications either. Are you going to a surgeon, or just your dentist?

For the rest of the day, I stuck with slim fast or protein shakes. For the next week or so, I just made sure that what I was eating was fairly easy to chew and wasn't something that could easily break off and get stuck in the gaping holes where my wisdom teeth once resided :grumble: I did clean them out after every meal using a sulca brush (a dental brush that has far fewer bristles than a toothbrush and easily reaches the back of the mouth).

If you are experiencing pain at the moment from your wisdom teeth, you will be appreciative that you had them removed...the relief of pressure was well worth it! Good luck!

I will be going to an oral surgeon! I've had my grown out for quite a while now, but it's just now starting to ache really bad for me :(
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I had all four of mine removed when I was about 18. For me, it sucked. Some people have very little pain afterward and recover really easily, but it was kind of rough for me. I went to an oral surgeon so that I could be 'knocked out' for the procedure - I am so anxious over those things that I very nearly passed out in the dentist's office the day he told me he was going to have to take them out. Thankfully the very sweet ladies that worked in the office (the ones that helped me out when they saw I was about to hit the floor - since the dentist was already gone within like 5 seconds of giving me the news and didn't even wait around to see how it affected me) - those wonderful women gave me a referral to the oral surgeon b/c it was easy to see that I'd deal with it better by not knowing what was going on at the time. LOL Anyway, pay very close attention to the instructions that they give you. Ice your face for as long as you can stand (within their instructions - I can't remember but they might tell you to do if for awhile, take a break, do it again, etc, can't remember exactly). Smoothies are a great idea for healthy food except you SHOULD NOT use a straw. VERY improtant. Sucking on a straw could pop out the blood clot that will form and give you dry socket which you do not want. So smoothies = okay but straws = bad. Eat your smoothie with a spoon. On the way home after I had mine taken out, my Mom took me through a drivethru and got me a milkshake (per my request) and I ate it with a spoon. (not healthy, but I wasn't trying to get in shape back then LOL) Stay on top of whatever meds they give you. My oral surgeon prescribed pain meds, antiobiotics, and a steroid to help with the swelling. I don't know if that's standard everywhere or if it's up to the individual dr, but whatever they tell you to take, go ahead and take it. Have someone there to drive you home. In fact, if you haven't already filled whatever prescriptions they may give you, have that person go and get your meds filled while you're having the procedure done so you'll have them ready. Get lots of rest and just see how you're feeling. Some people do great and feel halfway normal pretty quickly, others (like me) prefer to stay in bed for like 48 hours except for using the bathroom. LOL I just don't recover from stuff as well as others. The first couple of days I felt pretty craptastic. I was back to work about 3 or 4 days later (had it done right before a weekend, can't remember if I went back on Monday or Tuesday) - I was still a little bit swollen and sore at that point but not to the point that I couldn't function. Just had to be a little careful. You'll be fine. It's not the most pleasant experience of your life, but it should improve fairly quickly.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 out in high school, and it was pretty painful. Of course mine had to be broken up and cut out because they were so impacted, and completely sideways.

My best advice is to take the pain meds when you need them, and go slow on the eating. My biggest problem was that the pain pills made me throw up when I finally did eat something solid, and that was NOT fun with a hugely swollen / stiff jaw.

Good luck! You'll be really glad when it's over!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i had mine taken out for a couple years ago. the surgery wasn't too bad but i had a bad reaction to the sedative they gave me and ended up in hysterics (and i have no idea why) right afterward. i was pretty swollen for a while - a week or two - and i also got an abscess which made things worse.

i had lots of soup (you can make your own from low sodium broth), Boost, and baby food. also, cream of wheat and applesauce!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I had all four of mine taken out about 3 weeks ago!

I had mine done by an Oral Surgeon and was under a General Anaesthetic - I think the part I was most scared of was the general as I'd never had one before!

I was under for about 45mins, in recovery for about an hour, then sent home with my little bottles of pills! Antibiotics, ibuprofen and anti-nausea pills.
    The first night I don't really remember much of, I had a cup-o-soup which was the best thing I've ever tasted after having to fast for so long before the op!
    The pain was ok for me, not great, but better than the infection pain from before - honestly it was more like a cramping, stiff jaw and sore nose/throat from the breathing tube that they put in while I was under. Although I never put my tongue anywhere near my sockets, it freaked me out too much!
    I stuck to clear cup-o-soups for the first two days, then added in yogurt, instant pudding and protein shakes. Dont use a straw for anything tho!! I added things like almond butter and spinach to my protein shakes to try and make them more like a meal lol and the first food I had was sweet potato mashed with laughing cow cheese mmmmm

I had mine out on the Wednesday, and honest the Friday was the worst day for me. I took a week off work and just rested up and let my body do its thing! The swelling went down after about 6 days - the bruising appeared about 5 days in and lasted about 4 days.

I had my stitches removed a week after the surgery and that was a huge relief - they were starting to cause me pain.

Hope that helps!

Good luck xx
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP! I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out next week. Was wondering what type of healthy foods you ate during recovery?? And if you don't mind me asking, what was your experience with having your wisdom teeth removed? How long did your face swell for? I am honestly a bit nervous to get them removed because I've heard some horrid stories about the pain after, face swelling for 2 weeks - YIKES... and it just doesn't sound so pleasant lol :\ But I actually can't wait to get them removed, my right side of my face has seem to be swelling up a bit due to the pain. Any responses are appreciated, thanks!

** the pain is super killer right now. I've been using Sensodyne toothpaste to take away the pain for a bit until next weeks appointment with my oral surgeon. they have been grown out pretty much.. but for some reason, my right side is killing me and the top part - it seems to have grown out more.. not quite sure what is going on, I can't wait to get them removed!

I had all 4 of mine taken out just after I turned 22. I was getting braces put in, so my orthodontist wanted my wisdom teeth out so that in the case I'd need them removed when I was older, they wouldn't ruin all the work. My bottom ones grew in impacted, thought they never once hurt...those 2 had to be cut out, the top 2, just crushed and pulled or whatever. I was told to get a good night's sleep the night before, and to take a vicodin that night, as well as a vicodin an hour before the procedure. They gave me oxycodone and some anti-nausea pills to take for the next several days afterwards, as well. Honestly...I don't remember my face swelling too much--I think my face was more swollen when I had 4 cavities filled than when I got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled. :tongue: The gauze is what sucked the worst...taking that stuff out and changing it hurt a lot for me. I think I ended up passing out from the pain at one point during the procedure, because I only remember him getting the top 2 out, then when he had to cut the bottom 2, I only remember feeling the initial cut. The next thing I remembered was my dad (who went with me) asking me if I was ready to go. When I checked the clock, I realized it was probably almost 3 hours after we'd arrived there.

For the record, I didn't get put under, he just used some gel stuff to numb me and some kind of shot or something. I could feel them working, but it honestly felt identical to what they used for when I got cavities filled. I could still feel everything he did, such as the crushing, cutting, etc. except for that time frame where I don't remember anything. So if you're getting put under, I can't help with the advice there, sorry, lol.

As for what I ate...I think I mostly ate those little Jell-O pudding cups. I remember the next night after my surgery, I felt a little stronger and attempted to eat a tuna sandwich, and that was a really bad idea.

I also had this little thing where I had to shoot water into the sockets, but whenever my friends and I have discussed our different wisdom teeth removal stories, none of them had to to this. :huh:

I wish you luck with your surgery, Christina!! Honestly, it isn't so bad. It's not a fun thing to go through, but I can think of a lot worse. And this is coming from someone who wasn't put under, and watched most of the procedure and felt it! :tongue: