Replies

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    phase 3 week 10 day 1
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Well... I am 5'7 and weigh 149. My weight is in the "healthy" range according to BMI charts online. I just gotta get rid of this bit-o-chub around my gut! ;) According to the P90X nutrition guide, my energy level is 2400 (this doesn't include the extra running I' am doing. If so I need to add another 300-500 calories). This is the lowest level 2 possible. I think I must be misunderstanding something because it is just not possible for me to consume 2400 calories in a day without eating some really fattening bad stuff.

I added up the portion calories for a level 1 and get around 1600 calories. A level 2, if I'm not mistaken, adds up to 2180 calories. This site says I needed 2300 today (I just did yoga on my rest day, at a studio not yoga X) and 2700 yesterday (did kenpo and ran 3.5 mi.). Even if I go and eat a half pint of Ben and Jerry's I will still be at 1353 calories for today, a deficit of 900.

I've been eating whole grains instead of the whites I used to and have tried to cut back on the pasta dishes, being Italian that is very difficult. I have been drinking GNC's wheybolic extreme 60every morning and thirty min before my workouts and 30 min after. that is juicing up the protein by 180g. I've also been eating a ton of chicken, sick of it already! I am finding conflicting reports online about how much protein is enough/too much.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

When you did the calculations in the nutrition guide, did you figure it at your current weight or target weight? If you are trying to lose weight (and I can't see that you would have much to lose at 149), then enter your target weight and go from there.

From what I'm seeing, you are vastly undereating. Your body is going to go into starvation mode and hold onto everything it has. A minimum amount of calories for men doing P90X is 2000 (women, 1800). So, add on your running, and you're setting yourself up for a crash.

I'm female, 5'9", 120 lbs, and I eat 2800-3000 calories a day. I had to increase it from 2500 because I keep losing. P90X is intense, and your body needs the fuel, so feed it. You could compare it to trying to drive across the United States on a half tank of gas. It just won't work.

An easy way to get more calories is through protein shakes. I have two a day -- one in the morning & one with lunch. I use almond milk to make them, and it's quite yummy. You might also try protein bars. Pure Protein bars average about 180 calories, with only 3 grams of sugar. Clif Builder's bars have 20 grams of protein.

I'm a Beachbody coach, so you can also send me a message, and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    Starting week # 4, recovery week. Great program so far.
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 11.

I started on Lean but decided I needed at least a little bit of muscle.

So I did doubles for phase 2

In phase 3 I don't have as much time so I had to drop the extra cardios, so I'm doing classic now. How's that for messed up? Hehe.

Overall, I've lost 14 pounds and a ton of inches, most dramatically in my neck actually (lost 15% of my neck measurement!)

And all that and I'm totally NOT following the nutrition guide at all, except that I increased my protein intake.
  • ErinS
    ErinS Posts: 20
    Options
    im starting tomorrow!!!
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    Tomorrow is DAY TWENTY-TWO for me, Phase I recovery week. The program is awesome, and you cannot argue with the results.
  • ericpaci
    ericpaci Posts: 8
    Options
    that was very helpful. I am not really trying to lose weight at all. Having my suspicions confirmed was great. Thanks so much. you will surely be hearing from me again.
  • ericpaci
    ericpaci Posts: 8
    Options
    hat was very helpful. I am not really trying to lose weight at all. Having my suspicions confirmed was great. Thanks so much. you will surely be hearing from me again.
  • ErinS
    ErinS Posts: 20
    Options
    how do you log your workouts on here? do you put in every individual exercise?
  • danielle1009
    danielle1009 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of Phase 2! I'm super excited to get into Phase 3 and start to see the *real* results.

I haven't really had super success so far though. I haven't dropped a single pound or very many inches (I'm small to begin with) but I know there is weight there to lose b/c I gained about 10 pounds in the past year. Anyway, I am definitely feeling tighter and starting to see some definition around my abs (thats what we all are working for anyways, right? haha)

From what I've been hearing maybe I'm eating way to little?? It's a crazy thought, I usually average around 1400-1500 calories a day (obviously, some days higher and some days lower)...how much more do you think I should be eating...its actually a pretty scary thought to be increasing calories when your trying to lose weight.

I've been trying the P90X eating plan but I have been having so much trouble eating high protein and low carbs, I just haven't been able to grasp it. Maybe I do need to start having 2 protein shakes a day instead of 1. This could also be a culprit for why I can't shed these pesky pounds!

I would really like to go into this last phase and see awesome results at the end so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I would add the extra protein shake. The higher protein/lower carbs should help you shed weight, IMO.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of Phase 2! I'm super excited to get into Phase 3 and start to see the *real* results.

I haven't really had super success so far though. I haven't dropped a single pound or very many inches (I'm small to begin with) but I know there is weight there to lose b/c I gained about 10 pounds in the past year. Anyway, I am definitely feeling tighter and starting to see some definition around my abs (thats what we all are working for anyways, right? haha)

From what I've been hearing maybe I'm eating way to little?? It's a crazy thought, I usually average around 1400-1500 calories a day (obviously, some days higher and some days lower)...how much more do you think I should be eating...its actually a pretty scary thought to be increasing calories when your trying to lose weight.

I've been trying the P90X eating plan but I have been having so much trouble eating high protein and low carbs, I just haven't been able to grasp it. Maybe I do need to start having 2 protein shakes a day instead of 1. This could also be a culprit for why I can't shed these pesky pounds!

I would really like to go into this last phase and see awesome results at the end so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I put myself back at 1800 calories (instead of 1600). When I started and was at 1800 cals, I dropped 4 lbs in about 2 weeks. When I went lower, I maintained. I'm goign to try to eat more and see if that helps. I usually have egg salad/chicken salad/ or a hamburger quesadilla for lunch, protein shake for breakfast, pure protein bar for am snack, special K protein meal bar for pm snack (now that I can have more carbs). Supper really depends on what we feel like eating - tacos, chicken wrap, porkloin, etc.

I hope it helps.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Danielle... If you're starting Phase III and following the nutrition guide, you should see your protein intake decreasing and carb intake increasing when compared with Phase I. My take on that is the first two phases were spent improving body composition (losing fat tissue) and building muscle. By Phase III, that additional muscle will need fuel to burn, hence the increased carbs to keep metabolism high and continue to burn off remaining fat (down to a healthy level, of course).

So, thought about in that way, if your body's caloric burn has increased substantially with more muscle tissue and continued high-intensity workouts, two things would be true:

1) Your body needs the additional calories to continue to keep the muscle well-fueled and to assist with continued use of bodily energy stores (fat).
    2) Not taking in enough fuel will trigger a scarcity response in the metabolism, causing it to maintain or increase fuel stores (fat) rather than burning it.

Upping the protein can be made easier if you really look at your daily intake and see where you can drop some in here and there. As an example, if you're having fruit for a snack, throw in a stick of low-fat string cheese for some extra protein. Little things like that can add up over the course of a day, another reason to use a site like this to really study where your nutritional habits and see where you can make some creative, tasty adjustments to get where you want to be. Keep up the great work!
  • danielle1009
    danielle1009 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you that all does help. I haven't moved on to Phase 3 eating plan, because I still haven't lost the weight that I intended to, so I was hoping if I can ever grasp the lower carb high protein thing the weight would start to come off.

I'm going to start by adding an extra shake daily and see if that can help me.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I went from the phase I diet to the phase II diet and then back to the phase I diet for phase III. If your body doesn't "bonk" you can stay high protein, I'd imagine.

From what I've read, unless you are in world class shape going into phase III, you don't need to do that phases eating plan.

I was not in top shape going into phase III and I guarantee that if I had moved on to the high carb/low protein diet that it suggests that my results would have been nowhere near what they currently are.

Once I get to phase III in my second round, I might go to this diet but until you're in tip top shape, I just don't see the sense of it. Especially if your body isn't good at ridding itself of carbs (which mine is).
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Round 1, Phase 2, Week 4 (recovery week).

I get my Bowtech SelecTechs on Friday, just in time to start Phase 3, Week 1 on Saturday.

LOVING this program.
  • trenauldo
    Options
    Round 1, Phase 2, Week 4 (recovery week).

I get my Bowtech SelecTechs on Friday, just in time to start Phase 3, Week 1 on Saturday.

LOVING this program.
    Paula... Let me know how those SelecTech dumbbells work for you. I've been eyeing a set of those but been a little reluctant as they a fairly sizeable investment (not compared to a full set of dumbbells I suppose).
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Paula... Let me know how those SelecTech dumbbells work for you. I've been eyeing a set of those but been a little reluctant as they a fairly sizeable investment (not compared to a full set of dumbbells I suppose).

They are awesome!!! I just got them from http://www.bowflexselecttech.com and used code HAPPYBIRTHDAY20. That gave me 20% off and free shipping, not sure if the same deal is still going on or not!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thank you that all does help. I haven't moved on to Phase 3 eating plan, because I still haven't lost the weight that I intended to, so I was hoping if I can ever grasp the lower carb high protein thing the weight would start to come off.

I'm going to start by adding an extra shake daily and see if that can help me.

Yep, good advice here. EAT up! And I never really went into Phase 3 eating plan either, the higher carbs just don't work for me. Now at MFP I set mine as 50% carb/ 25% fat/ 25% protein (but I'm also running a lot) so I need the extra carb. Good luck!
  • trenauldo
    Options
    They are awesome!!! I just got them from http://www.bowflexselecttech.com and used code HAPPYBIRTHDAY20. That gave me 20% off and free shipping, not sure if the same deal is still going on or not!! :flowerforyou:
    Thanks Jess. I should have gotten them last year. Costco was selling a set (under the Nautilus brand, but exact same thing as I think Bowflex owns Nautilus now) of the 5-52.5-lb dumbbells plus the stand, and it was like $350 or less I think. I kick myself regularly for not picking those up... lol.