Screaming kicking and crying!

Options
13»

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Its a job i took because i didnt think it was that hard, i dont want to quit i would feel terrible. Mom has no options for me, i know 2 yrs are rough my son is 2 my daughter is 15 months, and a cranky screaming 2 yr old thats not mine. someday i feel just DONE.
    Since you have two young ones of your own, you know how important it is to get a break. Are your kids there too during all this? Or is your "break" from your kids spent taking care of this one?

I don't know your relationship with your neighbor, but unless you and she live on an island, I can promise you that you are not the only option for her. You may be the only option she likes, or the only one she can afford right now, etc. Just pointing this out so that you don't feel obligated to stay if this situation is truly not working out. I don't know what you have committed to, either. I only want to point out that your sanity and well-being is also important. Getting frazzled by someone else's two-year-old can suck up a lot of the patience you normally might have for your own kids.

Hang in there. Keep seeking solutions. There tons of stuff out there. Someone mentioned watching the show SuperNanny. I don't remember if that's the one I've seen, but there is some good stuff with setting limits in there. As with any kind of real-world advice like this where the "rules" are varied: take what makes sense and leave the rest.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Screaming, kicking, and crying hmmm thought this was about a date leading to sex:ohwell:
  • karisbear
    karisbear Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Since you have two young ones of your own, you know how important it is to get a break. Are your kids there too during all this? Or is your "break" from your kids spent taking care of this one?

[/quote]

My break is nap time, i try and get them all to nap, because i dont want any of them waking the beast! and gives me a recharge because a boy 2yr old and a girl 2yr old AHHH!!!
  • karisbear
    karisbear Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Screaming, kicking, and crying hmmm thought this was about a date leading to sex:ohwell:

BAHAHAHA!! sorry.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Ok! So im babysitting a girl age of 2, shes really good most of the time but... When mom leaves its histarics to the point of no calming down, ive started putting her in time out after so long explaining, when you are done crying you can come out. ive tried sitting with her hugging her and distracting her, either she pushes passed me and claws at the door, pushes away from me, but no matter what its ALWAYS screaming. At nap time its worse lots of screaming and crying,loud screaming!!! Now i have 2 kids of my own so naptime is important, not only to them but to me its a recharge a break. Ive gotten to the point durning nap if there is crying i take her favorite things i exlaping "these are for naptime, there is not crying if you cry i take these away." crying sometimes continues when it does i take her things only for a minute two, and let the screaming beigin even more and go back in and explain the same ol same old finally it work at some point. I also for got to say now that she is being potty trained, in the morning on her hissy fits even if mom takes her pee, and i ask or take her pee she will not pee on the potty she just continues to scream for time out til she pees the floor. she stops shortly afterward. I know i sound harsh with the things is do, i feel mean! and terrible i dont know what else to do. Does anyone know anything i can do?

So, she's mostly good, except for when Mom leaves, nap time, and potty time, right?

When my husband was still active duty military I worked at the base day cares, and tended to be assigned to the 2 year old classrooms (14 two year olds all day, initiation for the new girl! :laugh: ) We had all kinds of tempers and odd behaviors, and some of the things that worked for us might help.

Separation: It's hard. For kids and adults. And especially toddlers. Some parents try to "sneak off" so their kid doesn't know they are gone but, in my experience, that can make it worse. With one of the clingiest kids I worked with, what finally helped was establishing a routine, both for good byes in the morning, and to reassure him when mom would be back.

His mother made a point of picking him up at the same time every day, so when she would say good bye she would always remind him that she was coming back after snack time. She would hug him, so good bye, and we would take him over to the window to wave some more, and then sit down with a story. He still cried, but less and less each day until eventually he would just kind of wave over his shoulder as he ran to get a book. It took time and patience but, with consistency, it helped.

Potty Training: Different things will work for different kids. The ones I saw who were most resistant would have parents who said things like "she always goes at home, we just make sure she sits there until she does" And yeah, sure, if you HAD to sit on a toilet for 30 minutes, you'd pee too!

We were not allowed to force potty training, but we were required to check diapers every hour on the hour. So, for the kids who had parents who were pushing for potty training, every hour we would take them to the bathroom and let them go in. If they came right back out, fine. We'd check their diaper or pull up and change if necessary. If they stayed in and used the toilet, lots of praise. By not forcing the issue, the resistance and tantrums would decrease.

Nap time: My enemy! My daughter has never been a nap taker. Her daycare teachers were baffled by this, even when she was in the one year old class. When we would have one who tantrumed over naps, we would start by getting the other kids settled down, putting on some quiet music, and then one teacher would go sit with the crying child. We would tell him/her that it is quiet time, it's ok if you don't want to sleep, but you need to rest on your mat so others can sleep. We allowed books and stuffed animals.

The teacher would simply sit there. Not really responding to the tantrum, but returning the child to the mat if he or she got up. Some kids liked to be cuddled and wanted someone near them, others wanted to be left alone with a book. My daughter was in the second group. Once the teachers gave up on trying to MAKE her sleep, she did just fine. She would lay on her stomach and look at a picture book. After awhile she stopped trying to leave the mat, and the teachers stopped sitting near her.

All of these things required consistency and patience, because once a child has developed a habit of throwing tantrums, there is no magic "off" switch. But those habits can be resolved.
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just let her cry and scream and completely ignore it. You're feeding her the attention she wants; but she's getting it by behaving in a negative way.
    Go about your business (watching her, obviously), but ignore her. When ~you're~ not making a big deal about, neither will she.

Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Just let her cry and scream and completely ignore it. You're feeding her the attention she wants; but she's getting it by behaving in a negative way.
    Go about your business (watching her, obviously), but ignore her. When ~you're~ not making a big deal about, neither will she.

Good luck!

Do you find that works? It totally doesn't on my children. The older one gets violent to himself or his brother if I ignore him, and my younger one screams until he gives himself a nosebleed, which are extremely dramatic and to be avoided if at all possible.

Luckily my children have never been frequent tantrummers.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spanking?

Seriosuly, spanking doesn't work. All it serves to do is strike fear into a child. What competent adult needs to control a CHILD through fear? This isn't an opinion. Google some scholarly articles about why spanking is ineffective and even harmful sometimes. (Google whatever words you want and under "More" click "Scholar" to find interesting and useful information) Boundaries. Kids want them, need them, crave them.
    Honestly, why don't you get off MFP for awhile and go get to know the little girl. what does she like to play with? what books does she like? what is her favorite character or show? Her favorite food? when you can answer those types of questions you'll no doubt be in a place of more control over the situation. She may be 2 but she knows if you care or not. Distraction and boundaries. Two wonderful things.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHA!! sorry.

How is that funny? think about the connotation and it's actually disturbing...