What do you do if someone HATES vegetables?!

Options
13»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any veggies and hardly any fruit.

I just watch my calories, take my supplements, exercise often. You don't HAVE to eat veggies to lose weight. I'm sure that idea of "Just grow up and eat them" puts many people off even trying.

The minute you start adding in things you don't like, the more likely is you will give up on it.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've always LOVED veggies and am very adventurous with trying foods, so it is hard for me to even fathom how I need to approach this with her.

There is probably a physiological reason for that. Some people can taste chemicals in food that other people can't, in much the same way that color vision is variable - i.e. color blindness and (theoretically) tetrachromats. Have you ever done a PTC or PROP taste testing? It's these little sheets of paper impregnated with a chemical that some people can't taste it at all, some think it is bland or only mildly bitter, and some people think it is terribly bitter or even nauseating. There is a genetic basis for this particular difference in tasting ability, and people who taste these chemicals strongly are called supertasters. Research has shown that people with this genetic variant are much less likely to eat vegetables regularly, and unfortunately, are also much more likely to get colon cancer, probably as a result of poor fiber intake. There are also a variety of other food types that supertasters tend to avoid, but there is enough variability that I think there are probably a lot of other genes involved. Long story short: some vegetables may taste much more bitter or otherwise disgusting to her than they do to you.
    is that probable in more vegetables than I realize? I remember testing the strips in college chem and bio classes, but those were presented specifically as the chemical present in Brussels sprouts (which I believe most people dislike because they haven't tried them roasted or sautéed, just boiled way too far, but I digress), not something in all or most veggies. Broccoli might also have something of that nature, I may have read? What I'm asking is if that's possibly a factor in disliking almost an entire food group, rather than 1-2 options from that food group.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hide them in food, cook for her then when she decides she likes it, show her the ingredients. There was a lot of vegetables that I don’t like but when I started cooking them different ways I found I liked more of them as time went on.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    is that probable in more vegetables than I realize? I remember testing the strips in college chem and bio classes, but those were presented specifically as the chemical present in Brussels sprouts (which I believe most people dislike because they haven't tried them roasted or sautéed, just boiled way too far, but I digress), not something in all or most veggies. Broccoli might also have something of that nature, I may have read? What I'm asking is if that's possibly a factor in disliking almost an entire food group, rather than 1-2 options from that food group.

PTC and PROP are two related chemicals, one is a thiourea and the other a thioamide. PTC is not found in any foods at all, but still has been found to correlate to taste preferences, which should indicate to you that our taste buds are not necessarily specific to one chemical or even one class of chemicals to evoke a similar taste response. Even though PTC and PROP are bitter, ability to taste them strongly is also associated with avoidance of excessively fatty, sour, and even sweet foods in some cases. People who can taste PTC and PROP generally will have more taste buds on their tongue as well, and that might explain that. As one taste researcher put it, being a supertaster is like living in a world of neon lights where everyone else sees pastels.

As for why this would extend to most vegetables instead of just a few, actually many vascular plants which we eat as vegetables contain varying amounts of a large class of chemical called alkaloids which are somewhat similar to PTC and PROP. And interestingly, in most cases they are used in a defensive capacity, in other words, to discourage other creatures from eating the plant, and they are almost universally bitter tasting. Different plants have different amounts and different kinds, which may explain some of the variation in taste preferences.

The point is that people's tastes may be radically different for real, physical reasons, and not just because of personal preference or whim or stubbornness or attention seeking as some would have us believe. Think about this: 25% of the population taste *nothing* when they put a PROP strip in their mouth, and 25% taste an utterly vile bitterness that almost makes them sick. That's not preference, that's a difference in tasting ability, and to a person who like the OP who just can't understand how anybody could not love vegetables, this should make a lot of sense. She likely can't taste the very intense, disgusting bitterness that people like me can.

I envy her for that, personally. It is a major pain in the @$$ to be so restricted in my food choices as I am, and I'm not gladly anticipating an increased risk of colon cancer.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you want to help her, then find out what she likes first, and then build slowly from there, introducing new foods rarely and not demeaning her if she can't tolerate them. You can also find healthier variants of the foods she likes that are lower calories and better nutritionally (lower carbs in her case, perhaps lower sodium and higher protein as well). Check out a book like "Eat This Not That."

Your entire post was excellent. You said everything much more eloquently and articulately than I could.
  • harleigh67
    Options
    Had another thought instead of spaghett noodlesi use a spaghetti squash it looks like angel hair pasta and I ate it with a tasty sauce....if you don't tell her she will most likely never notice, no one at my old housr knew they were eating squash.
  • jennajosephine
    jennajosephine Posts: 85 Member
    Options

PTC and PROP are two related chemicals, one is a thiourea and the other a thioamide. PTC is not found in any foods at all, but still has been found to correlate to taste preferences, which should indicate to you that our taste buds are not necessarily specific to one chemical or even one class of chemicals to evoke a similar taste response. Even though PTC and PROP are bitter, ability to taste them strongly is also associated with avoidance of excessively fatty, sour, and even sweet foods in some cases. People who can taste PTC and PROP generally will have more taste buds on their tongue as well, and that might explain that. As one taste researcher put it, being a supertaster is like living in a world of neon lights where everyone else sees pastels.

As for why this would extend to most vegetables instead of just a few, actually many vascular plants which we eat as vegetables contain varying amounts of a large class of chemical called alkaloids which are somewhat similar to PTC and PROP. And interestingly, in most cases they are used in a defensive capacity, in other words, to discourage other creatures from eating the plant, and they are almost universally bitter tasting. Different plants have different amounts and different kinds, which may explain some of the variation in taste preferences.

The point is that people's tastes may be radically different for real, physical reasons, and not just because of personal preference or whim or stubbornness or attention seeking as some would have us believe. Think about this: 25% of the population taste *nothing* when they put a PROP strip in their mouth, and 25% taste an utterly vile bitterness that almost makes them sick. That's not preference, that's a difference in tasting ability, and to a person who like the OP who just can't understand how anybody could not love vegetables, this should make a lot of sense. She likely can't taste the very intense, disgusting bitterness that people like me can.

I envy her for that, personally. It is a major pain in the @$$ to be so restricted in my food choices as I am, and I'm not gladly anticipating an increased risk of colon cancer.

This really helped put things into perspective for me. thanks for sharing.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Our family friends have a daughter in her senior year in high school who needs to lose about 80 pounds (and is insulin resistant).

However, she hates almost all vegetables - there are extremely few on her "approved" list and she is pretty close minded about what she likes to eat. .....but is more into meat and potatoes/pasta (high starch).

The exercise is good. It will help regulate blood sugar levels.
    Her current taste will contribute to more insulin resistance. Starchy carbs flood the bloodstream with glucose when overeaten.
    Whole grains will help, but that is only a tool in the toolkit. It isn't the whole toolkit.

I understand that some may not appreciate my viewpoint. That's fine.

So you have a young woman with a medical condition who is potentially old enough to be on this site herself. Additionally, she is going to be out on her own in the near future (at least that is the general idea for most 17 or 18 year old seniors). She needs to learn to take care of herself. Tricking her into eating vegetables is not the answer.

No, forcing yourself to eat a single variety of vegetable or fruit that induces a gag reflex is not the answer. But she needs to get over this "approved" list idea and open up to honestly trying a variety of fibrous colorful vegetables and learning what she can incorporate into her new lifestyle. The other option is to not change and learn how to one day learn to live on glucafage, then insulin shots, loss of kidney function and the myriad of other health problems common to Type II diabetes by the time she is 45.

Hard words make a soft heart. Soft words fall on deaf ears.
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options

Thank you for putting that together! Very interesting.

With that in mind, OP, I'd do some curiousity-satisfying non-scientific studies on her. LOL I'd be dying to know if she was in this group (honestly, I know a ton of people who were only raised with canned vegetables, or not exposed to many at all, and now "don't like vegetables", and I would be thinking that number would be much higher than the super-tasters, but that's just my guess).

Best of luck to her!
  • nonstopfeisty
    nonstopfeisty Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Vegetables and fruits are a big problem for me. I only like broccoli and green beans on the vegetable side and apples, oranges and pineapples on the fruit side. I have tried lots of others in the past and have yet to find any to add to my diet. I'm not exactly financially able to "experiment" or "play" with the flavors. It's quite simply a waste of money for me to buy something new, only to throw it out because neither my husband or I like it. I tried glazed carrots at my aunts house once and I did actually like it but, she glazes her carrots with lots and lots of brown sugar. Not exactly, diet friendly. A friend at work gave me a cabbage from his garden once. I didn't want to be rude so I prepared it a couple of different ways and didn't like either. I only like cabbage as sauerkraut (does that count as a vegetable?). Bananas, melons, grapes, berries and tomatoes make me gag (texture). Zucchini has to be sliced thin and deep fried with lots of seasoning. Cucumber, radish, beets, spinach, sprouts and asparagus taste nasty to me and no amount of reintroduction is going to change that. I don't mean any disrespect but, if I made you eat dirt daily would you start to like it? I sincerely doubt that. Our tastes are as individual as our personalities. They develop as we develop. Have you ever tried to feed an infant something they didn't like? They spit it out. More often than not that child will grow up never developing a taste for that specific food. My little sister liked just about everything when she was a baby except for sweet potatoes. Mom tried several times to get her to eat it at different stages of life. To this day, she hates sweet potatoes. She had the same problem with me when I was a baby only I detested a lot more than just sweet potatoes. I will admit that I have never tried squash, at least not to my knowledge. I am just nervous about trying it. I am considering that spaghetti squash though, it sounds interesting. I know I've been rambling but, my point is. People are different and have different tastes. You can really only work with what she's given you. However, if she's willing to try some things prepared differently then by all means make them for her. If she's not willing then recommend those GNC supplements another poster mentioned. I'm thinking I'll be adding those to my diet too. That's really all you can do. If you want her to succeed, she's going to have to eat what she likes. Most diets fail because people try to force themselves to eat things that they don't like just because it's good for them.
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hate raw veggies, I mean I am 39 year old female and have JUST started eating salads. The best advice I have gotten is start small like shredded carrots, small gourmet cucumbers sliced very thin, etc.... use fat free ranch, whatever it takes to acquire a taste AND eat these types of food first when you get hungry. I think that is key. Just eat the baby carrots, drowned in veggie dip and then move on to the good stuff;-)
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options
    Vegetables and fruits are a big problem for me. I only like broccoli and green beans on the vegetable side and apples, oranges and pineapples on the fruit side. I have tried lots of others in the past and have yet to find any to add to my diet. I'm not exactly financially able to "experiment" or "play" with the flavors. It's quite simply a waste of money for me to buy something new, only to throw it out because neither my husband or I like it. I tried glazed carrots at my aunts house once and I did actually like it but, she glazes her carrots with lots and lots of brown sugar. Not exactly, diet friendly. A friend at work gave me a cabbage from his garden once. I didn't want to be rude so I prepared it a couple of different ways and didn't like either. I only like cabbage as sauerkraut (does that count as a vegetable?). Bananas, melons, grapes, berries and tomatoes make me gag (texture). Zucchini has to be sliced thin and deep fried with lots of seasoning. Cucumber, radish, beets, spinach, sprouts and asparagus taste nasty to me and no amount of reintroduction is going to change that. I don't mean any disrespect but, if I made you eat dirt daily would you start to like it? I sincerely doubt that. Our tastes are as individual as our personalities. They develop as we develop. Have you ever tried to feed an infant something they didn't like? They spit it out. More often than not that child will grow up never developing a taste for that specific food. My little sister liked just about everything when she was a baby except for sweet potatoes. Mom tried several times to get her to eat it at different stages of life. To this day, she hates sweet potatoes. She had the same problem with me when I was a baby only I detested a lot more than just sweet potatoes. I will admit that I have never tried squash, at least not to my knowledge. I am just nervous about trying it. I am considering that spaghetti squash though, it sounds interesting. I know I've been rambling but, my point is. People are different and have different tastes. You can really only work with what she's given you. However, if she's willing to try some things prepared differently then by all means make them for her. If she's not willing then recommend those GNC supplements another poster mentioned. I'm thinking I'll be adding those to my diet too. That's really all you can do. If you want her to succeed, she's going to have to eat what she likes. Most diets fail because people try to force themselves to eat things that they don't like just because it's good for them.
    That's funny! My kids have been the exact opposite. Many things they spit out on the first try. Some on the second, third, fourth. But, they tell parents to keep trying, because kids/babies can take something like 10 tries before they REALLY give something a try, get used to it, and/or whatever, and like it. So I kept trying, and my babies/kids did/do eventually like most things! I'm sure that's not true for some people, but it's absolutely true for many, so with something as important as vegetables (almost all of them no less), I do think it's important to really try. Afterall, humans didn't develop to eat dirt... But we did veggies!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you show her how much more food she can have in regards to vegetable calories verses a potato or pasta calories, she will give it a try. I was never crazy about string beans until I found out how low in calories they are. Like others have said, different preperations of the vegetables. Bell Pepper is really good sauteed or cooked in lean ground beef. Cucumbers are better in vinegar than plain to me. Ask her parents what vegetables she ate as a baby. Maybe you can bring in the adult version of these and she can develop a taste for them. Good Luck