Oatmeal,

Options
I only started eating oatmeal yesterday, Is oatmeal good for you? what should i have with it? soy milk or water, hot or cold. put bananas with it? i really enjoyed i plain with soy milk, cold. but what are some good ideas?
& Its like 250 calories all up? im trying to ease back onto eating well, as i was only eating 600 calories for a while iv gotten up into the 750/800 now. So high calories scare me. I dont want to make it too high.

Please just some suggestions would be nice, no 'please seek medical help' iv heard it all before, just oatmeal related. thanks. xx

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar. It may put it higher than you like calorie wise but if I remember correctly a serving of oatmeal is roughly 150 calories, a tbsp of peanut butter is around 95 and the brown sugar is about 14 so it's not too terribly high and very filling. I've also added a spoonful of reduced sugar jelly (25ish calories) to it in order to get a PB&J type thing going.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I only started eating oatmeal yesterday, Is oatmeal good for you? what should i have with it? soy milk or water, hot or cold. put bananas with it? i really enjoyed i plain with soy milk, cold. but what are some good ideas?
    & Its like 250 calories all up? im trying to ease back onto eating well, as i was only eating 600 calories for a while iv gotten up into the 750/800 now. So high calories scare me. I dont want to make it too high.

Please just some suggestions would be nice, no 'please seek medical help' iv heard it all before, just oatmeal related. thanks. xx

steel cut oats are teh best! less refined than "quick" oats. if you need the fat calories, some chopped almonds or walnuts are a nice addition, as are a few raisens or dried cranberries. if you need some more protein, making it with soy milk or skim milk is a good idea too. i like a really chewy texture, so i don't cook them but for 90 seconds.
    and yes, oats are a complex carbohydrate, slow-digesting.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Put some peanut butter in the oatmeal. That will be healthy calories.

I like cheese melted on hot oatmeal, too.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i like a pack of quaker instant oatmeal with a banana :) sometimes i even add PB!
  • vfr67o
    vfr67o Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a BIG FAN of oatmeal. I totally eat it everyday but sometimes I like variety. I like to drop an egg into the mixture of water and the instant oatmeal and I cook it in the microwave for the normal cook time. It's a great way to get protein with my oatmeal and it tastes awesome!
  • RunningMyButtOff
    RunningMyButtOff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good since you will need the potassium. Also, I would suggest using milk since the protein is beneficial. If you're feeling adventurous, toss in a spoonful of peanut butter. Peanut butter and bananas in oatmeal made with milk is delicious...and it will hit up all your macronutrients.

It seems like you're on the right track with slowly increasing your calories...keep it up.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats seem to be the healthiest for you. I love em with fruit & vanilla soy milk. They take a little longer to cook, but worth it.
  • ashaaleigh94
    Options
    I like it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar. It may put it higher than you like calorie wise but if I remember correctly a serving of oatmeal is roughly 150 calories, a tbsp of peanut butter is around 95 and the brown sugar is about 14 so it's not too terribly high and very filling. I've also added a spoonful of reduced sugar jelly (25ish calories) to it in order to get a PB&J type thing going.

thanks! but how exactly do you put peanut butter on oat meal, must you melt down peanut butter?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/07/03/kozyshack-oatmeal-pudding/

Right now I'm having
    oats
    cocoa/cinnamon
    PB&co cinnamon raisin swirl
    vanilla protein
    topped with apple

11%2B-%2B1
  • chrisdavey
    Options

thanks! but how exactly do you put peanut butter on oat meal, must you melt down peanut butter?

I put 1 tbspn in for cooking. Then one more after.
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    I add fruit..dried or fresh and sweeten with stevia or truvia. I use a tad of milk but make mine with water. I too like it chewy but use the old fashioned or the instant. The amount of calories on this is not bad for you since it gives so much benefit to your day. The feeling of not being hungry as in satisfied and the slow release as one person mentioned..just a healthy way to start the day all round. Eat it up!
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup Quick Oats with 1 cup water and 1/4 cup Skim Milk a scoop of protein powder and just enough sugar free maple syrup to make it a bit sweet. I also toss in some Cinnamon since it is good for you as well.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My daughter (age 15) and I eat our oatmeal hot. We eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast.
    We like to cook it with milk or almond milk. It makes it creamier and sweeter than just water. Plus the milk adds calcium ... very important for women to make sure we get enough calcium for our bones.

Before my daughter cooks hers, she throws in a handful of frozen blueberries or a chopped up apple and some walnuts.
    I like dried cranberries and almonds.
    We also like to scoop in some canned pumpkin and cinnamon. It tastes like pumpkin pie for breakfast.
    Sometimes my daughter likes to add a spoonful of peanut butter and some chocolate. It tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup. I like it that way for a snack, but its just too sweet for breakfast.

There are so many ways to make oatmeal and it's such a healthy choice for breakfast. Good for you for taking this step.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I stir it in at the end. The heat from the cooked oatmeal melts it.

You can also do a search for "oatmeal" in the forums and you'll probably come up with a ton of topics. I made "baked pumpkin oatmeal" a couple of weeks ago from a recipe in the forums. It was good and reheated very well but a little bland. If you try something like that I would suggest doubling the spicesx
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I eat it most mornings as a side with my omelet.

I pack of regular instant oatmeal with 1 tsp of cinnamon an 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk.

Generally speaking it is good for you. Adding tons of butter and sugary stuff compromises some of that when in excess.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Yep, oats are good for you, they can lower cholesterol.

I make mine with light soy milk, tastes better. I don't use honey or sugar, just cut up banana and some cold milk on top. If you take every mouthful with some banana too, it tastes sweet.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i like mine with some pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon a little splenda, and a big dollop of 0% yogert. sometimes i add frozen blueberries. Can't wait to try with a spoonful of canned pumpkin tomorrow.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hope you're not eating only 800 calories a day. Did I misunderstand your initial statement? Anyway, nuts and raisins make oatmeal taste good.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Oats are awesome! Filling and nutritious! I eat mine with Milk and a few raisins.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Just found out that if you add apples to oats first it takes about an extra 3mins to cook. Apples come out nice and soft though. WOuld recommend.