Hyper-carb sensitive? Is there such a thing?

Options
I've been vegetarian for about five years and vegan for two. The last two years I've had so much trouble losing weight even when I stay under my calorie goal. It finally occurred to me last week that maybe I was eating too many carbs, so I started eating two eggs for breakfast every day instead of the fiber cereal I was having. I also cut carbs in other places and I feel instantly less bloated. Is there such a thing as being overly sensitive to carbs?

Replies

• SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about five years and vegan for two. The last two years I've had so much trouble losing weight even when I stay under my calorie goal. It finally occurred to me last week that maybe I was eating too many carbs, so I started eating two eggs for breakfast every day instead of the fiber cereal I was having. I also cut carbs in other places and I feel instantly less bloated. Is there such a thing as being overly sensitive to carbs?

Not sure; however, I feel A LOT less bloated when I eat less carbs as well. Actually, let me be a bit more specific; when I get bread, pastas, potatoes and tortillas that are high in carbs and not in fiber and protein is when I really notice. Veggies, fruits and some high fiber/protein tortillas such as the "Smart and delicious" brand don't bloat me and I lose weight easier staying away from the other types of carbs I mentioned.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sure! But it also could be a microbial thing. Try a probiotic, can't hurt. You can get bifidus and acidophilus pills at any natural food store. Yogurt is also usually a good source but if you're vegan maybe the yogurt alternatives might have probiotics? You'll have to check.

ETA: some degree of bloating after eating carbs is totally normal, the bacteria in your gut are going to town on the lovely food source you just provided them with and in the process they produce gases that can make you feel bloated. If you feel excessively bloated that can be due to an imbalance in your lovely internal bacterial garden which a probiotic might help correct by reintroducing the "good" bacteria.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I think so. There is a book called Eat Right for Your Blood Type. Some people agree with it and some don't. To each their own, but lots of it makes sense to me. For example, I am O Positive, and it says these people are more prone to thyroid issues (which I have) and do not process carbs well (which I believe I don't). I have already cut corn and gluten out of my diet, next I am working on cutting out granola (it's been my new weakness lately! Ugh).

Lucy :)
  • delilah122
    Options
    I think so. There is a book called Eat Right for Your Blood Type. Some people agree with it and some don't. To each their own, but lots of it makes sense to me. For example, I am O Positive, and it says these people are more prone to thyroid issues (which I have) and do not process carbs well (which I believe I don't). I have already cut corn and gluten out of my diet, next I am working on cutting out granola (it's been my new weakness lately! Ugh).

That's an interesting coincidence, Lucy - I am also 0+... hmmm....
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    The only thing about it for me is that I was a Vegetarian for many years, and I have recently started eating a little bit of ground turkey and chicken, as well as fish and eggs (I felt it was best for my health, a difficult and emotional decision and one I am doing a test trial on, anyway...), the book says I should be a carnivore. I would much rather be a Vegetarian. My husband is meat and potatoes and his blood type indicates that he should be a Vegetarian! So funny, we are totally backwards. He says that we tend to crave those things we shouldn't have. I will never start eating red meat, and I know for certain he will never be a Vegetarian! But again, a lot of things in the book seem to hold true. You should check out the book and see what you think.

• auctoritas
    Options
    Try keeping carbs to under 100-125ish. You can be sensitive to carbs, and some people respond better to lower carb diets. I'm on a <20g/day very low carb diet, and my stomach certainly bothers me much less than when I ate a lot of carbs.
  • delilah122
    Options
    @Auctoritas - where did you determine that goal # of carbs? I guess I have to do some research.

@Lucy - I wish you well, we all need to do what is best for our health, but I'm having enough trouble with the eggs, I can't go back to meat, it's not an option, but I would still be curious to read the book. Thank you for the recommendation.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It is common to be sensitive or allergic to grains, which are in a lot of our carbs from the grocery store. Either the gluten, or the actual grain. Another thing I noticed is that when I cut a lot of crap out of my diet the processed foods, highly simple carbs, make me sort of yucky feeling and I bloat. So first I'd suggest cutting out all the processed and crappy low glycemic carbs. It's hard to rule out any, because they are in so many things. Many people are on a gluten free diet and feel better.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

Wow.. I'm O+ and was born with thyroid not working!.. I'm also already on a gluten free/low carb diet and have been losing much better.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is good for anyone. Can't hurt at all.
    Sure! But it also could be a microbial thing. Try a probiotic, can't hurt. You can get bifidus and acidophilus pills at any natural food store. Yogurt is also usually a good source but if you're vegan maybe the yogurt alternatives might have probiotics? You'll have to check.

ETA: some degree of bloating after eating carbs is totally normal, the bacteria in your gut are going to town on the lovely food source you just provided them with and in the process they produce gases that can make you feel bloated. If you feel excessively bloated that can be due to an imbalance in your lovely internal bacterial garden which a probiotic might help correct by reintroducing the "good" bacteria.