Vegans!!

Options
2»

Replies

• maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% vegan-the only dairy being egg whites & Greek yogurt. It's not really a diet, but more a lifestyle change. Although I will eat cage free eggs & yogurt, I won't wear or use leather products, or anything like that. And believe me, you can gain weight just as easily being vegan. Oreos are vegan.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support and the advice! :)
  • JennyDeK
    Options
    I have recently ( Since October 1st) become a vegetarian, although I prefer no title no my diet. I still eat cheese and eggs no more then 3 times a week, and mostly as a convenience item. Other then those items in my diet I try and look for dairy free, vegan and meatless products when I do buy processed foods. My main staple has been whatever I can come home with from the local produce/farmers markets. I mix veggies together in all sorts of combos. If its piled up on my counter I am forced to eat it with every meal, what if it went bad? An acorn squash with a side of cucumber/ bell pepper/ red onion/ fresh corn on the cob/ green onion salad tossed with EVOO salt and pepper is very filling. I try and eat more protein and carbs during the day when I need them, brown rice and black beans mostly. I juice a lot of carrot, beet, kale etc to get in extra vitamins. MFP has been very helpful for me in making the transition. I am concerned about gaining weight and find the fat, carb, sugar, protein trackers super helpful when it comes to completing my diary and analyzing the outcome. I hope to become a vegan eventually but think that in moderation cheese and eggs are okay for me, cause really I don't care about the animals. I am kidding. I care a little, I care more about my health and that they are not going to help that.The only thing that I would suggest is eating which ever way you decide to 7 days a week. Don't confuse your body, or more importantly, your mind by eating meat once a week. A great documentary to watch is Forks over Knives, its on Netflixs. This is really eye opening when it comes to the health risks and concerns animal based diets cause. Good for you and good luck!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no..normally stomach issues clear up with a vegetarian or vegan diet.

just remember though..that it doesnt matter that is a vegan diet..you can still over eat and eat poorly. and wont make you lean..what makes you lean is muscle gain and fat loss
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just started eating a plant based diet as well for health reasons after seeing the documentary Forks over Knives. I highly recommend that. I've been using the book that goes with the movie, a book called the Engine 2 Diet discussed in the movie, and the blog/cookbook the Happy Herbivore as my references. It's been a week so far and I can't imagine going back to an omnivore diet. friend me if you want :)
  • nevadjinn
    nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for over a year now, and every time I accidentally get some animal product in my food I get really sick. For example, last week I was at a conference and it turned out that the "vegan" chicken salad they had provided had mayonnaise and the cookies had eggs and milk (I was able to avoid these, since they were packaged and thus had an ingredients list, but I didn't realize about the mayo until another vegan friend pointed out that it tasted weird after I had eaten over half of it). I was throwing up etc. etc. for two days. Because vegan food is much more alkaline than animal products, if you're eating mostly vegan your stomach won't produce the proper enzymes to digest meat etc. so you'll probably get sick or at the very least feel kinda crappy when you eat it. This is a very long-winded way of saying that I worry that if you go 100% vegan 85% of the time the other 15% might give you stomach problems.

Vegans, generally speaking, having somewhat lower BMIs. This is not because vegan food automatically burns fat. Sorry to dash your hopes. Committing to veganism does, however, make opportunities to cheat on one's diet less immediate. Before I was a vegan I couldn't manage to maintain a weight below the late 140s because any social occasion I went to included birthday cake/cookies/all the other imaginable binge foods. As a vegan, you can usually socialize without being tempted to totally pig out on junk food.

I hope you at least look into the ethical arguments for veganism. I know I know. We've got a bad rep. But there are some really compelling arguments out there and if you're mostly vegan anyway an ethical perspective could solidify your commitment to veganism. I could never have stayed this vegan this long or been this healthy (125 lbs!) if I had not been able to rely on an ethical justification for my healthy eating when my determination to be thin failed me.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Am I correct Vegans? If I'm not, please accept my apologies.

Most people that call themselves vegan do go all out. But there's no law against eating a vegan diet only.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I should warn you that I got big and fat as a vegan. It's not a "diet". And now I am having to work just as hard to lose weight as a vegan as a veg or an omni would.

Almond milk is way better than soy. Trader Joes has good soy protein powder for cheap.

Good luck.

Out of genuine curiosity, were you eating a healthful vegan diet, or one high in foods like pasta and oreos, which happen to be vegan? Just like there are healthy and unhealthy omnivores, there are healthy and unhealthy vegans. A vegan diet rich in colorful veggies, fresh fruits, tofu, tempeh and legumes (and exercise!) is how I lost my first 20 pounds.

As for OP, I am a huge fan of almond milk, but it's so easy (and cheaper) to make your own at home using water, a food processor and the nut of your choice.
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian 25 years and vegan off and on throughout. I have been whole food vegan for 4 months now and I dont plan on ever going back.

You can have stomach issues early on, but they go away after a short time. I think it has to do with fiber (if you are eating whole).

I did gain on a vegan diet a year ago, but I was eating crap like potato chips and mac and chreese.
    Watch your soy intake and really have fun with recipes. I love fatfreevegan.com.

good luck! you are going to feel amazing!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'd like to recommend a vegan cookbook I just got, "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She's got the full nutritional info on every recipe and the things I have made so far have been great! I am not a vegan but I do try to scale back on animal products as much as possible. The vegan police haven't come for me yet. :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600940498?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwtheppkcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1600940498
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for several months ... and my husband is vegetarian/usually vegan for about 2 yrs now. So I make a lot of veg dinners for us.
    People eat things for different reasons.... my husband has cheese sometimes if it's still on a veg pizza, for instance, but if he goes to Chipotle - he specifically orders veg ingredients and no cheese. He really doesn't eat eggs -- but might order it at a restaurant that serves great egg white veggie tacos. (me too!)
    Anyway, point being ... there are all types of levels of vegans. Some don't eat honey because they say it over produces bees. Well, my husband LOVES honey and doesn't see it harming bees in anyway. If a mosquito is coming near him, yes he will swat it and kill it. LOL. anyway, just wanted to make that point that there are no harsh rules one way or that way... just being that you don't eat animal products.
    As far as harmful effects to the body at first - no we didn't experience anything like that -- in fact, our digestion improved tremendously with a fiber rich diet of veggies, fruits, legumes and whole grains. You might experience upset tummy on your "cheat day" when you start back eating lots of meats/animal products. Your body will start to get used to digesting things quickly with all the veg/fruits/legumes/whole grains. When it takes in meat products, those are slower to digest/harder to digest and so that will probably cause you some tummy problems on those cheat days. If you have cheat days, I suggest you cheat lightly with eggs/cheese and/or little serving sizes of lean protein meats.

Be careful not to fill your plate with too much pastas or potatoes. Many people go veg and instead have lots of potatoes and pastas instead the healthy legumes/whole grains (quinoa, brown rice), whole foods (fresh vegetables and fruits). When I went vegetarian, I did this and gained weight. So hence why I'm not anymore although I have many meals that are veg just not every day, all meals. I discovered lean meat proteins worked for me, but small serving sizes of it.

Anyway, don't know if you know about it already, but check out The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn....
    http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Diet-Firefighters-Save-Your-Life-Cholesterol/dp/0446506699/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319938588&sr=1-1
    Very informative book for eating a plant-based diet w/easy recipes.. not complicated. He got all the firefighters he works with to try this diet and they all had great success - weight loss and lowered cholesterol and blood pressure.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Btw, i LOVE unsweetened almond milk, but hubs loves Silk Soy vanilla Light. He says that one has more vitamins in it especially B12, which many vegans need to supplement their diet. Not sure if B12 is in the almond milk... but I love the unsweetened kind -- only 35/40 calories for a cup!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A word of caution re: almond milk. It is not a good source of protein, so I wouldn't consider it a replacement for dairy milk.

But it is a good source as an alternative to soy juice, as I don't recognize processed soy liquid being passed off as "milk."
    But you recognize processed almond liquid as milk? It's pretty much the exact same process.