Birth Control

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm on ethinyl estradiol and norgestimate. The various brand names include Mononessa, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Ortho-Cyclen, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, and TriNessa. I've still lost 39.6 pounds in nine weeks with no problems, but everyone's body is different.
  • jblakes2011
    jblakes2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    IUD all the way. I'm on the Mirena, which is an IUD with extremely low-dose hormones. Unlike the regular copper IUD, it doesn't cause insanely heavy periods, in fact, i barely experience any period at all. The hormones are so low that they don't effect your body (or your mood!) and it is extremely effective.

My doctor would NOT put me on it because I haven't had kids, or any other woman that hasn't had a kid yet.

I haven't had kids either, and my doctor said there is no risk if you haven't had kids. The only reason they recommend it for women who've given birth before is that the insertion can be moderately painful, less so if you've given birth. But, with that being said, I didn't find it more painful than a bad cramp and know a lot of young women who are on this form of BC who have never given birth.
  • jblakes2011
    jblakes2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm definately not getting an IUD bc I don't have any kids. I just had a miscarriage last month so I'm already afraid that something is wrong with my body. Plus I don't want to wait 5 years to have kids. Maybe nuva ring.

Sorry to hear that.

you can get it taken out at any time, you don't have to keep it in for 5 years.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    ooooh good question! BUMP!
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm with Amygirl, condoms worked great for us and no chemical side effects. There are non latex options if you're latex sensitive.
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    I have Mirena and looooove it but you have to meet some criteria first. How old are you? And do you have any children already?
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Usually I'd say pull out method... but maybe that's why I have 2 kids that are 10 months apart :ohwell: I was on yaz for a while, I didn't gain any weight but it seriously made me the crabbiest b*tch in the world. I give my husband props for sticking with me, because if tables were turned I would've left. I say if you don't want to gain the weight, just stick with condoms or something like that.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you want something you can stop at any time without having to wait for a dr's appointment, your choices are the pill (various types), Nuva Ring, diaphragm, cervical cap, condoms, spermicide, pulling out (NOT to be considered particularly effective, but might as well list it since so many people use this 'method'), abstinence, Fertility Awareness Method (not quite like the 'calendar' that others are referring to - it teaches you to recognize actual biological signs that indicate you are nearing ovulation), or any combination of any of those methods. You cannot stop using an IUD, implant, or shot without waiting for a dr's appointment (for the IUD or implant) or having to just wait for it (the shot) to wear off. I don't consider those last 3 to be options for me b/c I like to feel like I have the control to be able to just stop it without having to wait. Lots of other people are happy with them though. It's extremely individual.

Keep in mind that NOTHING other than abstinence is 100% effective. Using multiple methods will improve effectiveness, b/c it's much less likely for 2 methods to simultaneously fail than it is for 1. ;)
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    How about condoms? You might gain a little bit of weight on the pill, but you'll probably gain more if you get pregnant. Plus at the end of your pregnancy a little person will force its way out of your vagina and then it moves in with you makes noise forever. But you'll have a lot less sex once they start bouding into your room in the middle of night. I think they sense a competetor is potentially being created.

my. favorite. post, ever.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz and haven't had any issues...
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Nuvaring. Love it. No weight gain. No pill to remember every morning.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was on tri-cyclen lo and it made me gain weight as soon as my doctor changed me to yaz I was able to start losing it again
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Paragard. 10 years of birth control that is as effective as a tubal, but reversible if desired. And no hormones at all. And best of all, nothing to remember.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have any BC advice as I do not use BC but I do take steriods which have similar side effects for weight gain yet I have been very successful here losing weight. It really is about being prepared to deal with side effects. Just my 2 cents.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo... I haven't had weight gain.

It has totally murdered my sex drive, however. :/
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just remember that all the different types of hormones affect people differently, and the pills have different formulations. I have a sister on Loestrin Fe who's totally fine (which I also used to be on until it turned me into a depressed anxious wreck), I switched to Beyaz and have since been fine.

Didn't gain weight on either - appetite definitely increased but that's where food logging really helps.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you want something you can stop at any time without having to wait for a dr's appointment, your choices are the pill (various types), Nuva Ring, diaphragm, cervical cap, condoms, spermicide, pulling out (NOT to be considered particularly effective, but might as well list it since so many people use this 'method'), abstinence, Fertility Awareness Method (not quite like the 'calendar' that others are referring to - it teaches you to recognize actual biological signs that indicate you are nearing ovulation), or any combination of any of those methods. You cannot stop using an IUD, implant, or shot without waiting for a dr's appointment (for the IUD or implant) or having to just wait for it (the shot) to wear off. I don't consider those last 3 to be options for me b/c I like to feel like I have the control to be able to just stop it without having to wait. Lots of other people are happy with them though. It's extremely individual.

Keep in mind that NOTHING other than abstinence is 100% effective. Using multiple methods will improve effectiveness, b/c it's much less likely for 2 methods to simultaneously fail than it is for 1. ;)

NFP (natural family planning) has worked well for us. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about their cycles and/or fertility and doesn't want to take birth control (all of which have potential side effects). Besides, if you ever decide to try to have a baby, you will already have a head start in knowing when you are fertile each month and hence best times to have sex to achieve pregnancy.
  • khadlock
    Options
    I agree the shot made me gain 20 pounds Yaz seems good for me the last 4 years.
  • molmcgee
    molmcgee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on the copper IUD and love it. All BC with hormones made me gain weight and go mental crazy. I have not had kids and the doctor still gave it to me. Many of my friends who have not had kids also have them. It is long lasting (10 yrs or less if you want it out sooner) and after the first few months, things smooth out (little cramping) and it's all good.

Not recommended though if you have a problem with cramps. It makes them worse. i have little cramps and they are more intense with the IUD, but getting better over time as my body has adjusted.

I am a huge fan, though this is not for everyone.
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    Your GP (I suppose the American equivalent is 'family doctor') is going to be the one with the most knowledge on this subject. Different contraceptive methods work for different people (although, the 'pull out' method is not one I'd ever advocate - I'm one of seven children and you can guess what system my mother uses [ick]).

I use Implanon. I'm happy with it.