WHERE DO I START!? HELLLLPPPP!???

Options
HI guys, im new to the site.. and I want to make tomorrow the start of my new weight loss journey.. I'm lost and dont know where to start... I guess the first thing would be breakfast.. any suggestions on what i should eat??? Does anyone have a written menu that i may follow? Also what to do with exercise...IM SOOOOOO LOST???

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy eating :] small changes first

what kind of exercise do you like?
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a menu so that probably works against me. I just try to eat healthier than i use to. Also, I work out at least 5 days a week. It consists of Cardio 5 days and strength training at least twice a week. Just try your hardest. The first couple weeks were the worse for me because the scale didn't move much, but that all changed today. So as long as you stick with it you should see results in no time. Good LUck!!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    feel free to look at my diary if you need ideas..but the key is to eat things that you like while staying within your calorie limit.
    also as far as exercise start out slow so you don't burn yourself out and fall out of your routine. if you're interested in running, i highly recommend the Couch to 5K program which is designed for beginners and helps you get started - i started wit h it 9 months ago and now i'm running 6 miles straight. feel free to add me! and good luck :)
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What you eat is going to depend entirely on you. Eat foods that taste good to you. Experiment with new recipes. I think that one of the reasons most diets fail is because they keep people from eating things that they enjoy. You can only go so long depriving yourself of foods that you like. I'm sure not everything you like is unhealthy. What are some foods that you enjoy?
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is always good... I like to add a tablespoon of maple syrup, and a few nuts. Also, eggs are great too! One or two... the best thing is to get some protein and fibre in the morning. That way, your blood sugars will be more stable all day long, and you will be less likely to eat too much later on . Also, snacks are good... make sure you have small snacks, like an apple and some nuts, or whole grain crackers and a little bit of cheese, peanut butter on celery... yum! It's all about the portion control!
    Make sure you don't go more than 3 hour or so without eating. Also, try and get in some exercises... walk for 30 minutes, go for a bike ride. I try to get in 30-45 minutes a day, but if you're just starting, its' important to work up to it, otherwise you could get injured, or just feel like it's too hard. Hope that helps!
  • thop123
    thop123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    For me its all about portion size. Just for a place to start try keeping your calories per meal at 500. Then you would have 1500 calories per day (look at your recommended calorie intake on here too. Honestly I think its a little lower than what I would normally allow myself when dieting but it will get results quicker. Try this website to cross reference your calorie amount if you feel that its too low. On this website you can enter in how much time you want to work off the weight, its really helpful, http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_loss.php ) Anyway, eat what you normally do just watch the sizes and look to make sure your eating the actual serving amount. A lot of times you think a container of something is one serving but its two (ramen noodles is a good example of that!). Also I'd write down or add your foods on here immediately after you eat it. It helps if you realize how many calories your at so far in the day. If you just record it all at the end of the day it doesn't really help you realize how much your eating, plus you may forget foods.

For exercise if you never do it I'd start out slow. You don't want to scare yourself off from dieting by going too hard too fast. If you never workout try starting by walking 2 mins and then jogging 1 min. If thats easy switch the times up to what works, but make sure your pushing yourself. When exercising you should be able to talk but with some difficulty. You can then come on here and enter your time and activity to see how many calories you've burned.

Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend, I'd love to help you out :)
  • fantabuloushoney
    Options
    A friend of mine had me simply write down what I was eating...found that on one day, the only veggies I had were the ketchup & dehydrated onions on a McDouble. :( She said to increase my veggies, a little at a time, keep it under 2000 calories, and be active 10 minutes every hour, even if that meant standing and swaying.

She also said breakfast doesn't have to be a cargo dump....eat leftovers from dinner, steam some veggies, eat a salad, break free from the traditional breakfast foods. I found that even making my own breakfast burrito with 1 egg, a no lard tortilla, a slice of 2% american cheese, bean sprouts, and Pace Picante sauce provided me enough substance and protein to make it thru the morning. Add a Morningstar sausage patty...296 calories, 80 calories less without.

I also joined LA Fitness, started with water aerobics and now have a personal trainer. I make each and every little milestone a celebration...not a food one either. I have a board that I write all the things I can now do and added photos of me along my journey.

It's about doing what you need to do without making it feel like you are suffering or denying yourself. Self sabotage is the fastest killer of motivation. Best of luck...you can do it!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Like in all things I do, I had to jump in head first. I know this doesn't work for many people, though, so I would suggest starting slowly. For breakfast, maybe try something whole wheat, like cereal or oatmeal, and something with a sugar, like a piece of fruit and some protein like milk... or an egg (Which I HATE!) The sugar in the fruit will give you the energy to start your day and your body can burn it fast and easily, the protein, which is more complex, will give you energy for later and will also fuel your muscles. The whole grain will help to keep your digestive system clean.

The other thing I'm going to suggest I am personally HORRIBLE at, but try to drink all the water you can. It can help keep your complexion clear, lessen the visibility of cellulite and help keep your blood clean and thin, so it flows through the vessels more easily. On top of all that, it helps to fill your stomach. Actually, there are a million and one benefits to water.
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my favorite breakfast is a 100 calorie multigrain english muffin toasted with one wedge of light laughin cow cheese and 2-3 scrambled egg whites and a piece of fruit. If you dont have time to make the egg in the oven, at places like walmart they have this awesome mircrowavable scrambled egg cooker takes 1 min and it fits perfectly on the english muffin! SUPER FILLING and low cal!
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that taste good to you.

Just use the online calculators to count calories. Iǘe only just started dieting again, but when I was just out of high school I dropped from probably 85kg to 65kg in about 6 months. I still ate chocolate. (it was just a freddo frog instead of a mars bar...hehehe).

That said, 6 years later I did end up back at 80kg. But I kept it off for a good 4 years!

But I guess as an actual response to your post,
    Ski dĺite yoghurt for breakfast. Or Special K. I am so in love with Special K.
    Sushi for lunch
    And whatever the boyfriend wants to eat for dinner (he is allergic to healthy food)
  • MissTeena
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys!!! Since reading all of your post, I've decided that I'm just going to START off changing my portion sizes, avoiding fried foods and soda. It feels a little overwhelming, but i know I can make it! I am also gonna try a 30 minute exercise video in the afternoon, and another 30 minute exercise in the evening.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Miss Teena - I'm going to send you a friend request and I hope you'll accept - I'm kinda new too... been here since 1st September. I've found that adding exercise means I can eat most things I enjoy :-) So when it comes to breakfast think about what you like?
    Eggs - poached or scrambled or boiled and maybe a rasher of bacon if you are into it! (grill) or an omelette?
    Toast - some mornings I have a couple of slices! I've found that using cream cheese as a spread instead of margerine cuts down the fat and calories :-) then you can add tomato or banana or your favourite spread.
    Cereal and fruit and or yoghurt... doesn't have to be fresh fruit - can be tinned or stewed
    Oatmeal or porridge if you like it - you can add fresh or dried or canned fruit or peanut butter!

I found it really good to look at other people's diaries (still do) to get food and meal ideas :-) Once you start tracking your calories on mfp you'll find that helpful :-) You can have soda - make it diet if cutting it out is too hard :-)

Good luck! You can do this!