Interval training...

Options
Hi guys-

Just wondering about interval training and what it is? Heard a few people talking about it and how its great for weight loss. But How do I do it?
Thanks!

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Not read all of the info myself (but I will make my own HIIT plan), but the idea is intense effort followed by moderate, then intense again, then moderate... Thus interval.

Check:
    1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
    2) http://www.notyouraveragefitnesstips.com/best-workout-routines/best-cardio-for-weight-loss-hiit-workout-routine
  • sheyredov
    Options
    Let's say you want to jump rope. Jump for 1min, then rest for 1min. After that you jump another minute and then again rest for 1min and you should do that for a total of 10-20mins. At first try to keep a ratio 1:1.

When you get better at it you can jump 1 min then rest 30 sec, or jump 2 min and rest 1min. (ratio 2:1)

:)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    HIIT.com

High Intensity Interval Training.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Let's say you want to jump rope. Jump for 1min, then rest for 1min. After that you jump another minute and then again rest for 1min and you should do that for a total of 10-20mins. At first try to keep a ratio 1:1.

When you get better at it you can jump 1 min then rest 30 sec, or jump 2 min and rest 1min. (ratio 2:1)

:)

No...read the links that were provided, resting is not part of interval training as you ideally want alternate by raising your heartrate for a set amount of time and come back to a base level...not resting which is pointless

Example...Sprinting for 30 seconds on 14km/h and then jog on 10km/h for 1 minute, then sprint and so forth
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Thanks to everyone :).

The more I read, the more I confuse myself
    But basically is it:
    Warm up for 3-5 minutes, then 30 seconds on a high intensity level then a minute at the warm up/slightly above warm up level, the repeat?
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

But basically is it:
    Warm up for 3-5 minutes, then 30 seconds on a high intensity level then a minute at the warm up/slightly above warm up level, the repeat?

Workout should last 20 minutes max, if you can do it longer than this then your intensity level is not high enough.

Start off with a comfortable jog (I like to do this with a slight incline) and after one minute you sprint your *kitten* off for 30 seconds and then go back to a comfortable level of jogging...you will tire out quickly but it is great for preserving muscle mass and keeps your workouts shorter.

Also if you use a treadmill, make sure those damn touch buttons work as you don't want to struggle to get down sprinting...have faceplanted way too many times in the gym.

You can do HIIT by using treadmills, ellipticals, jogging/sprinting from one lamppost to another and the most effective one I have found is sprinting/jogging in knee deep water...
  • emilyajones
    Options

But basically is it:

Workout should last 20 minutes max, if you can do it longer than this then your intensity level is not high enough.

Start off with a comfortable jog (I like to do this with a slight incline) and after one minute you sprint your *kitten* off for 30 seconds and then go back to a comfortable level of jogging...you will tire out quickly but it is great for preserving muscle mass and keeps your workouts shorter.

Also if you use a treadmill, make sure those damn touch buttons work as you don't want to struggle to get down sprinting...have faceplanted way too many times in the gym.

You can do HIIT by using treadmills, ellipticals, jogging/sprinting from one lamppost to another and the most effective one I have found is sprinting/jogging in knee deep water...

Ooh okay! Yeah, im going to use a cross trainer because treadmills scare the living daylgihts out of me! Ive read the first time you do it it shouldnt be longer than 12 mintues the work out, but well see how well I cope :).