I really can't weigh myself everyday

Options
I started a thread about weighing yourself everday awhile ago, and some people said that they do it and they love it. I weighed myself yesterday morning and was at 147.4 and this morning it's 149.1 and i was drippping with sweat yesterday. so what are these graphs and fluctuations that don't discourage you ladies?

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself every 3 or 4 days. The body will fluctuate in weigh daily from stress, food, water and waste. Try to only weigh yourself a couple times a week and you will see a better trend.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I weigh in every day (sometimes morning and evening) BUT it took me a long time to recognise daily fluctuations and causes. If I've done a session with my trainer I always weigh more the next day (don't know why but I do), certain times of the month, if my sodiums been up or I have had heavy carbs the night before. If you aren't aware of these it can reek havoc. If it freaks you out, weigh weekly or bi-weekly! :flowerforyou:
  • Alison_84
    Options
    for a few months I weighed myself every day, and entered the weights into a line graph colour coded by month. The lines were all jagged (for fluctuations) but pointing downward, and each month was lower on the graph than the month before, so it helped to put everything in perspective. If you're weighing daily you're likely not going to see a continually downward pointing "line" more line a jagged line headed in the general downward direction.. if that makes sense. I highly recommend charting weights if you plan to weigh every day, you'll even see "trends", I did at least, approx the same time every month I weighed the lowest.. kinda neat to see
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. For one thing, it really helps me stay much more focused on what I eat than I would be if I just weighed in weekly. Secondly, I try to understand the seemingly illogical ups and downs. For example, I know that when I go to a Body Sculpt class, which I do about once a week, I am going to see a gain for the next couple days, as my muscles retain water. If I drink a lot of alcohol, I may see a loss the next day, only to have a seemingly unexplainable gain the following day. For whatever reason, I almost always have a gain on Mondays, even if I was really "good" on Sunday. For me, I just remind myself that that's the way my body works. Sure - sometimes it can be discouraging, but in the long run, it keeps me on track. :bigsmile:
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    for a few months I weighed myself every day, and entered the weights into a line graph colour coded by month. The lines were all jagged (for fluctuations) but pointing downward, and each month was lower on the graph than the month before, so it helped to put everything in perspective. If you're weighing daily you're likely not going to see a continually downward pointing "line" more line a jagged line headed in the general downward direction.. if that makes sense. I highly recommend charting weights if you plan to weigh every day, you'll even see "trends", I did at least, approx the same time every month I weighed the lowest.. kinda neat to see
    I do this too. In fact, I could have written this post, word for word. :laugh:
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I weigh in every day (sometimes morning and evening) BUT it took me a long time to recognise daily fluctuations and causes. If I've done a session with my trainer I always weigh more the next day (don't know why but I do), certain times of the month, if my sodiums been up or I have had heavy carbs the night before. If you aren't aware of these it can reek havoc. If it freaks you out, weigh weekly or bi-weekly! :flowerforyou:

I have read that this weight gain after a training session is due water retention by your muscles as they "repair themselves".
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I do this too. In fact, I could have written this post, word for word. :laugh:
    Ditto. (or tritto in this case)
  • LBlake12
    Options
    Well, if you were dripping with sweat, there was probably a lot of sweat that had already evaporated or been wiped away. Basically, you have to allow for a few lbs fluctuation any time from water weight. You have to only consider the longer-term trends (no less than a week) to decide if you're losing. Sometimes even a week is too short. I try to look at both a week and a month, together. The daily view is more to understand how my body reacts to different foods and activities. For example, maybe figure out that if I eat salty stuff, I keep on water for a few days after.... that sort of thing. It's also always a nice little surprise when it drops, too. Just my two cents. :)
  • jonphoenix
    jonphoenix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    being married to the scale is generally a bad idea. your weight fluctuates all the time because of water retention, lost and replaced lean mass, waste, and other factors. if your weight loss is do to exercise, some of the lost fat lbs may be replaced with gained muscle, which isn't a bad thing, muscle will tone you and raise your metabolism. the important thing is that your waist gets slimmer and your clothes fit looser, that's the sign of progress. staring at the scale every day is just likely to discourage most dieters. checking it once or twice a week, first thing in the morning, and seeing that it goes down consistently over time is the better way to do it IMO
  • andreaie
    andreaie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh myself everyday sometimes more than once and i found that it would change every time sometimes differing from 2-5lbs... i had to stop everyday because it was setting my mood for the day.. if i got on and was 2lb up from the day before i would be in the worst mood for the whole day taking it out on everyone around me... last week i gained 4lb and this week i lost 6.5 i worked out hard last week so i reckon it was water retention and this week i couldnt work out due to a chest infection... the scales are gonna change so the main thing is that if your gonna weigh in daily that you realise this and dont let it put you of....
  • chawks97
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

My last job used to be working in Eating Disorders and we used to really discourage the girls (and boys!) from weighing themselves daily. As some people have rightly pointed out, our body mass can fluctuate daily, and this can be because of anything between the volume of fluid in our bodies, gas and waste! We used to do an experiment where I myself would weigh myself every day, once in the morning and once later in the day and I would chart this for the patients. The results were quite surprising. I could sometimes loose or gain up to 1 kilo of weight in a day!

In a roundabout way, what I am trying to say is that although I would not tell anybody to do , or not to do anything, I would say that by monitoring weight loss so strenuosly may not necessarily be helpful or reflective of actual weight loss.

As others have mentioned, it may boost motivation. But it may also be disheartening to see those scales bobbing up and down.

As a general rule, i weigh myself fortnightly. I believe that time allows me to see any actual weight loss.

Well done to those who's scales are pointing downwards at least!
  • rockabillymama
    rockabillymama Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

My last job used to be working in Eating Disorders and we used to really discourage the girls (and boys!) from weighing themselves daily. As some people have rightly pointed out, our body mass can fluctuate daily, and this can be because of anything between the volume of fluid in our bodies, gas and waste! We used to do an experiment where I myself would weigh myself every day, once in the morning and once later in the day and I would chart this for the patients. The results were quite surprising. I could sometimes loose or gain up to 1 kilo of weight in a day!

In a roundabout way, what I am trying to say is that although I would not tell anybody to do , or not to do anything, I would say that by monitoring weight loss so strenuosly may not necessarily be helpful or reflective of actual weight loss.

As others have mentioned, it may boost motivation. But it may also be disheartening to see those scales bobbing up and down.

As a general rule, i weigh myself fortnightly. I believe that time allows me to see any actual weight loss.

Well done to those who's scales are pointing downwards at least!

it is really discouragin to see any number go up. and it's so much easier to support another person freaking because of it, than accepting it for yourself. Thank you all though. the muscle retaining water thing makes me feel much better as i spent a good 2 hours with the resistance tubes.