Barbie and Tattoos!

Options
emilynicole02
emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
Ok, parents concerned about the influence of the new tattooed Barbie on impressionable young children .... like promoting her physically unattainable body dimensions is much better? Unless they make a Stretch Marks Barbie I'm not aware of, pick your battles :)

heres the article...

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/parents-irate-over-tattooed-barbie-tokidoki-toy-doll#c

what do you ladies and gents think????

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Aren't you a bit too old for barbies? :bigsmile:
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    I think parents need to step up to the effing plate and parent their children. Stop blaming all of society's problems on outside influences. Its called accountability and very few parents have it anymore.

Im so sick of this mentality.

And second, whats wrong with tattoos?

I have tattoos and my 2 yr old son walks over every other day with his stick on play tattoos and says "want tattoo" and I GLADLY put them on. So what? What does that say about me? That I dont takle care of him? That he is a drug user? WTF?
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'd hit it.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think she's pretty. Kinda cool actually- and I have 2 daughters. Their Dad has a tattoo- I'm going to get one when I get to goal. We don't have problems with them. I just plan on teaching them not to get one just to have one & make sure it's something you'll want for longer than 5 minutes. :smile:

Oh yes & they love temporary tattoos- How is that not just as bad as having a toy with tattoos? & all kinds of parents let kids wear temporary ones...
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    "...and a faithful companion named Bastardino."

That made me laugh.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I dont think it's even a battle that needs fighting. If anything, even if you dont agree with tattoos, it teaches kids they're permanent and to choose them carefully surely.

As you say though, forget the tattoos, focus on the unrealistic body shape.

I personally have more issue with the pink pvc look mini skirt and animal print leggings!
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    Aren't you a bit too old for barbies? :bigsmile:

haha yes, yes I am :) BUT i was the girl with bins and BINS of barbies and all of her accessories and friends when I was younger ;)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I don't know... I have sons; if they make GI-Joes with tats, fine. I have tats. I'm OK if my boys get them - eventually - after they're of age, and have considered it carefully for a long time.

Tats are the least of our concerns for our kids these days.........! In the mess of confusion about gender roles, lifestyle choices, drugs and other substance abuse, home lives full of anger and fractured emotions, unhealthy and damaging habits..... a little "plastic ink" on the skin of a toy seems trivial to me.
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    Shut up and Parent!

Not you- just in general. You don't want your kids exposed to tattoos? You better be curtailing their exposure to tv, books, those little fake tattoo dispensers at the store, etc.

The idea that tattoos are bad is so 1900s. LOL But really, look around- I know more people with tattoos than I do without. Smoking Barbie (which we had back in the 60s) or Meth Barbie would be questionable. But tattoos? sheesh
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I love it! I would have wanted it when I was younger, and I would buy it now if I had a daughter.
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    Why does Mattel assume that tattooed women would wear that god awful outfit???
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I firmly believe that there are Barbies marketed to children and Barbies marketed to collectors. Tattooed Barbie would be one of the later. Plus let's face it, there are probably as many tattooed parents of children as non-tattooed ones these days.
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    Shut up and Parent!

Not you- just in general. You don't want your kids exposed to tattoos? You better be curtailing their exposure to tv, books, those little fake tattoo dispensers at the store, etc.

The idea that tattoos are bad is so 1900s. LOL But really, look around- I know more people with tattoos than I do without. Smoking Barbie (which we had back in the 60s) or Meth Barbie would be questionable. But tattoos? sheesh

YES!!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is a collector's edition of the doll. Not likely in the price range that most people shop in for little girl barbies. I would still get this one any day over a Bratz doll. Hey, I guess we all have to be so sensitive now that a doll with tattoos really gets to us.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I'd hit it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    isthisreallife?
  • emilynicole02
    Options
    yeah I completely agree with all of you! I think it is more of parents not being... PARENTS! Those that are outraged obviously don't know how to teach their child about things like this! Tattoos are just another part of society that needs to be taught so kids/teens understand the responsibility of them and that they are permanent not temporary and could affect them in the future if not chosen wisely... this is what parents don't teach their kids and just become outraged because it is easier than actually stepping up the plate and parenting... ha imagine that!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think there are so many more horrific things to be concerned about - not sure why the big waste of energy....

Just the humble opinion of one of the jaded.....:flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I hated Barbies as a kid. I remeber I took one once burnt of all its hair and hung it from a tree infront of the house of a little girl i didnt get along with.Then my parents took me to therapy:grumble:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing called fake tattoos.