The Dreaded Plateau! Help!

Options
Well, I've hit it... The dreaded Plateau! 2 weeks of solid diet and exercise and not a budge on the scale. After rocking through the first 29 lbs I have stalled out. I still have a ways to go to get to a healthy weight so I'm looking for any and all advice. What did you do when you hit a plateau to kickstart your weightloss. I've been increasing my workouts and am now adding some yoga to them as well.

I am not taking this plateau lying down! Please share whatever you have in your asenal to fight this off!

Replies

• becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories?
    Switch up your exercises? Try something new?
    Watching WHEN you eat WHAT you eat?

All of that could help. It helped me.
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just busted through a plateau (that lasted about 3+ weeks). I upped my calorie intake and began a new workout - I am now doing TurboFire. It's awesome and it is the reason I succeeded! Good Luck!
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    Usually the plateau is about 3-4 weeks of nothing. Honestly, when I hit a plateau either I do the 17 day diet stage one for a week or two or stagger my days where I follow 17 day diet then do my normal diet. But I've also heard of some people setting their calories to maintaining and then going back to their regular weight loss after a week.
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your calories a little bit? Sometimes we have to shock our bodies to get it moving again. Are you changing up your workouts? That can help too
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just recently had this problem. I realized with my working out I was aiming for a deficit in what I was eating and burning but then not eating enough. I have started eating my calories burning as suggested by MFP. Already lost another pound :) My mind wasn't helping things make sense but I realized I have to meet my calorie goals in order for my body to work properly! Good luck. You could also check your activity level and make sure it is accurate or change things up with your workouts!
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I actually started eating at least half of my exercise calories back. Made a difference in no time.
  • laz22girl
    Options
    No loss for two weeks is not a plateau.
  • kimmerz810
    Options
    I just went through that same thing! What helped me was to kick started my metabolism by changing my diet and exercise routine up. Sometimes I think your body gets used to the diet and exercise plan you are doing and it stalls out. I cut out all starches for the last two weeks (no bread, rice, pasta) and now my weight loss is back on track. Now the weight is back to falling off, and I will begin to slowly incorporate the starches back into my diet.
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This seams to be a very common topic/problem. I know I'm dealing with it as well. I gotta get into a gym and hit the weights after months of only running outside as my exercise.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I just went through a month of going back in fourth in a three pound range, and this week I finally started seeing new numbers:happy: Just be patient and keep trying new things like becca_21 said, this week I started a new exercise and thats what helped for me and I upped my calories maybe 50 but just try new things until it moves, I had just got to my halfway point of 55 and stalled
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have not really increased my calories and typically I don't eat my exercise calories. I will give that a shot. Upping my food intake just seemed counter productive but shocking the system does make some sense! I will give it a shot and see what happens along with the extra exercise.
  • dbthegreat
    Options
    I believe this happens when our bodies get used to what we are doing. Change your style of exercise and eat different things. I haven't hit a plateau as yet but this is what I will do when it happens. Good luck.
  • _Doreen_
    _Doreen_ Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!! :noway:

Plateaus are "normal"... try swapping carbs day-to-day... low then medium back and forth. I just saw that on Dr. Oz on TV. Also try not to eat for a few hours before bedtime.

Don't forget to drink all of your water... I found it really makes a difference in my numbers/losses.

Good luck... keep us posted as to how you're doing.
    :happy:
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The hated Palteau...I leveled off for almost 2.5 weeks at 49lbs lost, couldn't cut off my arm to lose that pound for 50. What worked for me was getting out of my routine for a week. Continued to watch what I ate, but freed it up a little. Unintentionally I was eating a bout 200 extra calories a day. After a week I cut back to just under MFP recommendations. Lost 3 punds in the past 4 days. I don't know why, less carbs, lower sodium or just my body getting used to the new weight and then deciding it was okay to shed some more. Best advice? Don't lose the faith, you'll lose it eventually. Good Luck
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I upped my calories when I hit a "mini plateau". That helped for a couple of weeks. Then, I hit a 5 week plateau. I was VERY diligent about exercise, and was slightly under my calories EVERY DAY (huge for me!) this week, and lost 3 pounds. Just stick with it. You WILL bust through this!!!!!
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post about this subject because I've been having the same issue. Back and forth for about a month but no "real" weight loss. I have a ton more to lose so I've really been despairing. I already change up my foods and workout routines, so I'll try eating fewer carbs and more calories. See if that makes a difference.

Thanks for bringing up the topic and for everyone who weighed in!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I hit a plateau of a month or longer, I try to make one or two changes for a week to see if that shakes things up a little. If it does, I keep going with it. If it doesn't I add another change. I am trying to add healthy habits very slowly so they stick and I am comfortable with them.

I shook up this last plateau by changing my activity level from sedentary to lightly active. I complemented this change by discontinuing counting walking as exercise. It is now a normal part of my life's routine. So I now have a higher calorie baseline to work with (1540 calories), but it is harder for me to earn exercise calories.

This change has worked like a charm.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    In May I hit a plateau. I always eat back my exercise calories and I workout about 4-5 times a week. Currently, I am training for my first marathon and one would think with all the calories I am burning I would lose weight, lol.... not the case. About two weeks ago I lost a pound and yesterday I lost another pound (about time!!). I think after about 5-6 months I've broken my plateau!!! That being said, I did go down a pant size and my clothes are fitting much better. To be honest, I am kind of glad I got to experience the dreaded plateau, it made me really focus on how I look and feel instead of how much I weighed, which in the end, is the important thing. Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • paravision
    Options
    I just busted through a plateau (that lasted about 3+ weeks). I upped my calorie intake and began a new workout - I am now doing TurboFire. It's awesome and it is the reason I succeeded! Good Luck!
    Same here. I went from 1200 to 1400 added strength training to my work out. 4.0lbs in 2 days :oD
  • jyork5407
    Options
    This seams to be a very common topic/problem. I know I'm dealing with it as well. I gotta get into a gym and hit the weights after months of only running outside as my exercise.

This seems to be where I'm at as well. I've run a spring 13.1 and a fall 26.2 the last two years, which amounts to two years straight of running as my only exercise. Found myself with no upper body strength, no muscle, and no weight loss. Started paying attention to calories and doing P90X with only a little running here and there for the next few months. Eating enough/more to meet one's calorie burn is such a hard concept for me to get my head around (I used to think more burn = more better), but I'm trying and hope to see results soon!