Keeping lettuce and veggies fresh

Options
Does anyone know how I can keep bagged lettuce fresh? I've hard of putting them into ziploc bags with the breathable holes..but, I forgot if I add paper towel or not?

I'm looking to stock my fridge for the week with lettuce and fresh veggies..just not sure how to keep them from going bad before I use them.

Thanks for any information,
Dawn

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bump. I always have issues with this!
  • bsgillkc
    bsgillkc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wash your greens/lettuces, spin them dry in a salad spinner, then lay them out on a long sheet of paper towels and roll them up and put them in a ziploc bag. That will usually keep them longer than most other storage methods.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    Wash your greens/lettuces, spin them dry in a salad spinner, then lay them out on a long sheet of paper towels and roll them up and put them in a ziploc bag. That will usually keep them longer than most other storage methods.

Agree - everything needs to be kept as dry as possible!
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that wrapping lettuce in tin/aluminium foil was a great way to keep it fresh. Never got round to trying it though...
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Wash your lettuce and remove any damaged leaves.
    Dry thoroughly.
    Then, wrap the lettuce in paper towel, and place it in a plastic bag (or a storage container).
    Store your lettuce in the refrigerator (the crisper drawer is the best place).
    Replace the paper towel any time it feels especially wet.

Tips:

Lettuce bruises easily, so be careful not to shove other foods up against it in the fridge.
    If it takes you a while to eat a head of lettuce, you may want to consider buying romaine. It tends to stay fresh longer than other lettuce varieties.

I just found this. I too, needed some tips.
  • deedeedoolittle
    deedeedoolittle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A head of lettuce will stay fresh for waaay longer than that bagged stuff, I also read that whatever they put on the bagged stuff to keep it fresh actually kills all the nutrients in it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, you can keep cut lettuce submerged IN a container of water, and it'll keep well.

Depending on the variety, putting an entire head in water will extend the life, and keep it from wilting early.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wash mine and then dry it in a spinner, but I also keep it in a glass bowl, as I do all my veggies and fruits. That works for me...
  • Alexa712
    Alexa712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use those green bags... I dont remember the name of them, I get them at the grocery store, they are by the produce. .. I have had broccoli in them for 2 weeks and it didnt go bad.. It comes in a box with several size bags... they really work...
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I learned this from a blog that I follow and it actually works.

Take head of lettuce and do NOT wash it. Just tear in pieces and place into a tubberware type container. Take paper towels and get them wet (damp, not soaking wet) and wrap all lettuce. What I do is line the bottom of the container with the wet paper towels, put lettuce pieces in, and then put a layer of wet paper towels on top. Whenever you get out your desired amount of lettuce, wash those pieces individually. Check your paper towels and if they are no longer damp, then dampen them (mine never need to be since I don't have the lettuce container sitting out long). My container doesn't fit in the crisper drawer since it's so big, so I just have it on the bottom shelf of the fridge.
    Hope this helps!
  • jhnye85
    jhnye85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use those green bags... I dont remember the name of them, I get them at the grocery store, they are by the produce. .. I have had broccoli in them for 2 weeks and it didnt go bad.. It comes in a box with several size bags... they really work...

I second this! Buy the green produce bags, they are amazing! They keep your procude fresh for at least an extra week.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I ordered some tupperware from amazon that is made for veggies to keep them fresh. They work really good
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I put some paper towels in the bottom of a tupperware bowl with lid, then put the lettuce in there. It keeps the lettuce fresh for twice as long.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Once you open bagged lettuce there is no way to keep it fresh. It is packed with some kind of gas so it stays shelf stable at the store. I stopped buying it and now just cut lettuce and bag it myself. It stays good for at least 3 days. I only cut what I know I am going to use.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't leave it in your car. That helps tremendously.