sort of new to running - need your help

Options
I have been jogging / running on the treadmill since about March of this year. I have done a 5k and also partipcated on a marathon relay where I ran 3 miles.

I just love to run, it is so invigorating to me.

My problem is that I just cant keep up with the indurance. The most I have ever run not stop is 2 miles. My 3 mile time in the marathon was 35.01 so not too bad.

My question is how do I go about increasing that or being able to run further or longer?

I had so much fun in that marathon relay that my goal now is to do a 1/2 by next September. Do you think that is possible?

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Small increments. Increase your non-stop distance by 1/10 mile per week (or more if it works for you).
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's definately possible. I'm sure you've heard of it before but try the C25K program. It really works! I'm proof.
  • AnneHolland
    Options
    Totally possible! I would recommend doing the Galloway method to build your cardiovascular endurance up to longer distance (walk a minute/run whatever is comforatable) then slowly switch to less walking. When I went to higher mileages (full marathon, woot!) I just slowed my pace from about 11 to 13 when I first started upping it, so I wasn't winded as quickly, that helped a lot.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    It is absolutely possible.

Just keep trying to go farther each time you run. If you can run 2 miles nonstop.. the next run go .15 longer or .25 farther.. whichever you feel like. If you're running outside use lampposts or fire hydrants as your next goal distance. You may need to slow down your pace to build up to running longer distance, that's ok too!
    Good luck!
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have been running for a year now, on and off. I love it too!

I started off doing the couch 2 5k programme, then the Gateway to 8k and then Bupa half marathon training plan. Like you, it took awhile before i had the endurance to run anything over 5k non stop but the interval training of Gateway to 8k really helped. Varying my running and incorporating hill work and speed training really helped as well.

By the way, I started running in Sep 10 and did one of the hilliest half marathons in July 11, so you'll be fine! You can def do it!!

Good luck
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Have you tried running intervals to begin increasing your endurance? That really helped me pick up my pace when I first started running.

The idea is that you start out running at your regular pace, then you pick up the pace for 30 seconds, and then pick up the pace AGAIN for the next 30 seconds and then you sprint for the last 30 seconds. And the end of that cycle, you go back to your regular pace for a few minutes until you recover. then you do it again.

I use to do these in the middle of my 5 mile runs say for 20-30 minutes and it really helped my speed and endurance.

Good luck!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    You've mastered the 5K, which is HUGE! Congrats! I found that setting a goal race for a further distance, then training for it by following a training program helped me tremendously. I like Hal Higdon's plans. If you follow the beginner, you do a couple of shorter runs during the week, followed by a longer run on the weekend. This plan has you slowly building your endurance by increasing the distance of long runs each week.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I joined a running team with Fleet Feet to train for my recent half marathon. They made it very clear that endurance running and distance running is about finding the right pace for yourself. I was placed in a 5:2 group. We ran for 5 minutes and then recovery walked for 2. The 5 minute running was at about a 12-12:30 pace and the 2 minutes walking was not quite speed walking but enough to catch your breath but maintain speed. I would highly recommend this for you. It worked wonders for me! Each weekend we added another mile to our long runs and before I knew it I was knocking out 10 mile runs like they were jogs around the block! Do not feel bad about the walking!! SOme of my friends were thinking it was weird or slow of me to walk...but I still finished you burn an average of 100 caloires per mile this way....trust me it is worth it!!!

ALSO, make sure you ALWAYS carry water on runs longer than 3 miles and nutritionals like Gu Shots or Honey Stingers with you on runs longer than 6 miles. Keeping your body properly hydrated and energized makes all the difference in a run!
  • foodluver27
    Options
    I know for me personally I can run a greater distance outside compared to on the treadmill. For some reason..running on a treadmill even if it's just a mile..it is a struggle for me. However, outside..I can easily do 3 miles and have even worked up to 5 miles before (working on that again) So if possible..if you could most of your running outside that would prob help increase your pace...I also remember reading an article in a running magazine how if you run on a track it also helps increase your pace. Good luck to you :smile:
  • ajprivet
    ajprivet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you cross train? I would incorporate that into your routine. I trained for half marathon without it and I would NOT recommend it! Swimming, biking, high intensity interval training, cardio videos, and sculpting/toning are some ideas. My runs have really become a lot better as far as endurance. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The following is from an article I read...

One of the biggest challenges beginner runners face is increasing their distance. As they try to push their runs a little bit farther, new runners often face physical and mental obstacles. If you're just getting started with running, try some of these strategies to make your runs longer -- and more enjoyable. Just remember that, in order to prevent injuries, you should not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week.
    Make Sure You Warm-up
    A good warm-up before running can prevent all sorts of problems, such as side stitches and muscle tightness, that could sabotage your run. And -- along those same lines -- don't forget to cool down for at least five minutes at the end of your run, too.

Run Outside
    Let's face it: Running on the treadmill can sometimes be, well, boring. Although treadmill running may be a little easier physically, it can be a much more difficult mental challenge. So, if weather and safety permits, get yourself outside for your runs. The fresh air, scenery, and new routes may distract you so much that you'll run longer than you normally would on that old treadmill.
    Do a Run/Walk Combination
    Don't put pressure on yourself to run the entire length of your desired distance. By doing a run/walk combination, you'll be able to cover more distance and you'll still get a great workout. And, don't worry, you'll slowly build the fitness -- and confidence -- you need to run longer without walking.
    Stop and Stretch
    "I had to stop running because my calf/quad/hamstring was tight." Tightness in various muscles is a common reason why beginner runners (as well as more experienced ones) end their runs early. Often, if you're feeling tightness in a muscle, a little mid-run stretching can go a long way. Try stretching the affected body part for about 30 seconds and then try continuing your run. Of course, if you're feeling pain that doesn't get better as you warm-up, you may need to stop running. (Find out more about when it's OK to run through pain.)
    Run with Other People
    Many of the beginner runners I coach remark that they never would be able to run long without their running partners. Whether it's because of peer pressure, the distraction of conversation, the motivational support, or maybe a combination of all three, runners who buddy up with friends usually find that they can run longer. If you usually run alone, ask a friend or family member to join you, or find a running group near you.
    Prevent Side Stitches
    While you may think that side stitches are an inevitable part of running, you can actually avoid them. Follow these steps to preventing side stitches, so they don't force you to cut your runs short.
    Run at a Conversational Pace
    One of the most common reasons why beginner runners stop running before they reach their goal distance is because they're running too fast. When you're first getting started with running, you really should be running at a conversational pace, which means that you can very easily talk in complete sentences while running. If you're gasping for air, you're definitely going too fast.

Add Strength Training
    Strength training helps your body better deal with the stresses of running. Your muscles will be able to perform longer before getting fatigued, which means you can go for more miles. All it takes is two or three 15- to 20-minute strength-training sessions a week to build more muscle mass.
  • mariec25
    Options
    Increase in small increments as already said, and also the C25K programme, I haven't tried it but completed similar and it does work. Also I was stuck at 5k in August, I started doing some interval training and it has helped me increase my endurance, I now regularly complete 10k and I am training for a half marathon, I really think it works.

Also, I find it difficult to run for long distances on the treadmill and find it much easier to run longer distances outside as you are adjusting your pace for up and down hills giving a little recovery to keep you going,

Its definitely possible and once you hit 3 miles non stop most runners will tell you that if you really want to, you can run any distance, eventually you will be saying what's another mile added to my run.

Good luck and go for it!
  • RunnerKeri
    RunnerKeri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running your first 5k! I love to hear that people are enjoying the sport. I started running when I was 5 years old with my father who was a track coach. I have been running for more than 30 years and it's still my go to exercise. No frills needed, just a pair of shoes and the road. Back to your questions: My first recommendation is to get off the treadmill and get outside. Fall is a wonderful time to be out there. The miles go by much faster when the scenery changes (at least for me). My second suggestion is to alternate running and walking. Run for a mile then walk for a 1/2 mile, then go back to running for a 1/2 mile, walk for a 1/2 mi etc. If you want a plan that has been around for years try looking into Jeff Galloway's method. I have heard many people swear by it. It's a run/walk plan as well. On a slightly different topic, I'd also recommend you have a good pair of running shoes to prevent injury. Go to a reputable shoe store that will take time to look at the way you run and fit you properly. Another thing, increasing distance is a leading cause of injury so be sure to ramp up slowly. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do a 1/2 by next Sept though. Best of luck!
    Keri
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Cross training is a must. It will help your body recover once you start doing work to improve your running endurance. I also trained for a half-marathon without cross training and I'm convinced that my time suffered because of it. Good luck.
  • firstcampgirl
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k about a year ago. I have now finished 3 half marathons and I am training for a full marathon.

I love running but I am not fast and that is not really my goal. I agree with Anne, check out Jeff Galloway. I use his method to train and it has increased my endurance far beyond what I thought I could do. This has keep me enjoying running and I have lost weight and feel much healthier. I also allows me to run long distances and then still have energy left for my job, family and life!

The basic idea is that you alternate running and walking segments. For example, I run for 3 minutes, walk for 1, run for 3. I got a timer called a Gymboss that is helpful, $20 on Amazon. Anyway, this keeps you from getting as tired and helps me to enjoy running more. At this point, I'd rather run 13 miles doing intervals of run/walk/run than 5k non stop.

I am a BIG fan of Jeff Galloway! Friend me if you have any questions.
  • kharrington23
    kharrington23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I joined a running team with Fleet Feet to train for my recent half marathon. They made it very clear that endurance running and distance running is about finding the right pace for yourself. I was placed in a 5:2 group. We ran for 5 minutes and then recovery walked for 2. The 5 minute running was at about a 12-12:30 pace and the 2 minutes walking was not quite speed walking but enough to catch your breath but maintain speed. I would highly recommend this for you. It worked wonders for me! Each weekend we added another mile to our long runs and before I knew it I was knocking out 10 mile runs like they were jogs around the block! Do not feel bad about the walking!! SOme of my friends were thinking it was weird or slow of me to walk...but I still finished you burn an average of 100 caloires per mile this way....trust me it is worth it!!!

ALSO, make sure you ALWAYS carry water on runs longer than 3 miles and nutritionals like Gu Shots or Honey Stingers with you on runs longer than 6 miles. Keeping your body properly hydrated and energized makes all the difference in a run!

^^^This! Everyone is different. Some run whole marathons, so do walk:run intervals. Do what works best for you! Remember to run your own race... don't worry about anyone else.
  • Clurrenshviden
    Options
    Have you tried interval training?

For example jog slowly for 60 seconds, sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 60 seconds and so on. It works well because the slow jogging gives you a recovery period before each sprint but still it's really good for both fat burning and improving endurance - apparantly even better than just straight running.

I'm not an expert on it or anything but it helped me :) When I started running I could only go about 2k before having to stop but I built it up to 10k eventually!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Like everyone has said you just have to slowly build up. There are plenty of programs to follow. I personally like marathonrookie.com. I think someone mentioned a running group, which I highly recommend or at least a running partner. Without my running partners I wouldn't be going 20 miles.

You will get there it just takes time. I remember when I started I would run a block at a time. It was a long road, but I have conquered it and feel amazing!

Happy Running!
  • ameerah77
    ameerah77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible. I love to run to. I stopped for a while but I started up again and when I did, I actually started with brisk walking and after 2 weeks running. I do 40 minutes when I run. To increase my speed, I do speed intervals. I do 10-15 min of my usual speed 4.0 and alternate to 4.5 for 5 min, then go back to 4.5 for 10-15 min. I did this before when I used to run about 15 miles weekly, and it helped me alot. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I coach beginner runners (from the 5K to the marathon distance), and I would recommend scheduling walk breaks in during your runs. Don't wait until you feel you need to walk but set a plan at the start of a run and follow it. Some people may say that using a run/walk program is not really running but I have to disagree. I have used this in my training when training for races from 5Ks to 100 milers and while I am not the fastest runner, I am a front of the pack runner and have been known to podium. The use of scheduled walk breaks in running allows your muscles to recover just enough so that your run technique doesn't fall apart. This will allow you to run further while feeling stronger and reducing the risk of injury. It is a great way to build endurance and get stronger with your running.

Examples of workouts could be 3-4 X10 minutes running with 1:00min walk after each 10 minute interval or 8X5 minutes running with 30 second walk breaks. In fact any length of run interval from about 5-15 minutes will work well and walk breaks can be from 15 seconds to 1 minutes. Just remember during the walk breaks, the walking should be brisk and lollygagging.

Each week you can add a couple of more intervals to your workout but try not to add too much to soon. The common recommendation is 10% per week. But if you are safe and smart, you can easily add 1-2 intervals to you long run each week.

This technique has worked well for me and my athletes, many who are running their first race at that distance. In fact I have 25 ladies running their first 15K next week and they all trained using a run/walk strategy and they are so going to rock it!!

If you have any questions or want some more info, feel free to message me.