Someone noticed. . .

Options
sock_17
sock_17 Posts: 99 Member
I just got my first weight loss comment. One of the guys I work with told me I lost a bunch of weight lol. At first I said that it just looks that way because I don’t have my jacket on but then he said No, you’ve lost weight. Which is true, I have but I don’t know why I made it sound like I didn’t. That’s a lie, I do know why I said it was my lack of jacket. . . I’m embarrassed that I weigh so much so whenever someone talks about weight loss I feel bad. It’s like him saying that I lost weight means that I really was that big to start with. . .I think his comment may have embarrassed me because there were 2 other people in the room. It’s definitely a NSV for him noticing. Now I just have to learn to take a compliment!!

~ Jamie

Replies

• catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thank you always works! Congratulations on your NSV
  • steveh08
    steveh08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing the same thing. So hard for me to see what I have done when all I can think about is how far I still need to go. Sounds like we both need to work on taking compliments.
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome, commets like that are the best.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I do find it a little embarrassing when people mention my weight loss, because like you said, it's acknowledging the fact that I was big to start with. But on the other hand, I know I'm big. Everyone can see I'm big. There's no hiding it, so there's no use in getting upset over it. I just say thank you. I also don't see my own weight loss. I don't feel I look any different, so it's almost kind of frustrating when everyone says "wow you lost weight," and I'm just not seeing it. But if people are noticing, that's a good thing!!! Way to go on your weight loss, keep up the good work!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    "Thank you" are two of the strongest words. Need nothing more and nothing less. Most of us can recognize achievement in others and be supportive but have difficulty accepting a simple compliment.

Congrats on all your hard work!
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am horrible with compliments too, but you should learn to accept them sounds like more will be coming your way. It's great when someone you see everyday notices.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Own your success!!! You will hear it more and more. :)
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, toughest thing I had to do was stop saying "yeah, but I have xxxx more pounds left to lose" . I had to practice saying, "Thanks, i appreciate you noticing" best wishes for continued success. Greg :smile:
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Get used to it. You will get a lot more. Congrats on yur weight loss so far! :blushing:
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Well done. I know the feeling well now lol. 'Thanks' became my standard answer.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! It took me a while to accept complements too. It was hard enough for me to accept that I wasn't the large person in my siggy anymore. and then the flirting started... :blushing: And I like it... ;)

Embrace the comments! They're wonderful for your self esteem.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like the compliments from people but they make me so awkward.

Congratulations, you've worked hard!
  • sock_17
    sock_17 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks. . . I'll just have to keep practicing. . .Thank you. . . Thank you. . .Thank you. . . :laugh:
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Awesome..!! Way to go!
  • voodoomoocow
    voodoomoocow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrible at receiving compliments. I actually googled it once and it's helped me ever since.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Compliments

When accepting the compliment as it is, even if it's not something you agree with, keep the reply simple and stay focused on the fact of receiving the compliment and be appreciative that the person was happy to compliment you. Some examples are:
    "Thank you very much" or just "thank you". These are simple, timeless classics that should be easy enough to utter even if the compliment has caught you off guard. If that's all you can think to say, leave it at that.
    "Thanks, I appreciate that."
    "Thank you; that's a really lovely thing to say."
    "Thanks - that's makes me feel really good."
    "Thanks. That means a lot to me."
    "Thanks, you're a kind person."
    When accepting a compliment in a way that shows that you're appreciative of the substance of the compliment, this can really help to make the person giving the compliment feel that they've hit the right spot. Some examples are:
    "Thanks. I'm really glad you noticed that because it's something I'm proud of too."
    "Thanks! I'm so enthusiastic about this project, so it's great to know you're keen too."
    "Thanks. I like it too – that's why I bought it even though I had to save up for ages."
    "Thanks. I had fun making it and it's great to know you like it."
    "Thanks. It has been in my family for generations."
    "Thank you! I tried really hard." This is a really good response when somebody has praised your effort, as there is never any harm in acknowledging effort and that the outcome wasn't simply a fluke.
    It's often good to use the compliment to further conversation. Say something like: "Thanks! I found it in New Look - it's amazing what you can get there." That way you've accepted the compliment and moved on to something about which you can both talk.

The last one works well in this situation :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    aww well done, get used to it. I still find it very awkward recieving compliments. i try and shrug it off and say its nothing as it embarasses me too. However, we have worked very hard for it so definitely deserve the compliment.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Grats! very cool
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!