HEALTHY FAST FOOD???

Options

Replies

• Jacksheadache
    Jacksheadache Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fish are fast, they can be food, they're healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Playing devils advocate here: What's unhealthy about fast food ?

If there are trans-fats in it, that's really the only thing. If there aren't any trans-fats, then, honestly, nothing. They are high calorie, and usually high carb and high fat, but if you work it into your daily plan there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating anything.

Trans fats are not the only unhealthy food.

So which parts of fast food are the unhealthy parts? The lettuce, tomatoes, beef, chicken, bread, cheese, or potatoes? Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles or onions?

Yeah, pretty much.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    right now all fast food is healthy for me lol i am on a gaining cycle and i could eat 2 burgers and still fit in my macros
  • bcattoes
    Options
    right now all fast food is healthy for me lol i am on a gaining cycle and i could eat 2 burgers and still fit in my macros

I'm not sure most (any) health professionals would agree that anything is healthy as long as it fits your macros.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    There's no such thing as healthy fast food. There may be some low calorie options, but it's all full of garbage. Your best bet is to steer clear of it as much as possible.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

If there are trans-fats in it, that's really the only thing. If there aren't any trans-fats, then, honestly, nothing. They are high calorie, and usually high carb and high fat, but if you work it into your daily plan there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating anything.

So which parts of fast food are the unhealthy parts? The lettuce, tomatoes, beef, chicken, bread, cheese, or potatoes? Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, pickles or onions?

Yeah, pretty much.

So, because McDonald's buys a head of lettuce from a farm, suddenly that head of lettuce becomes unhealthy, but the lettuce that goes to the grocery store instead is fine? I don't follow the logic.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I want to play this game too! I would say that the unhealthiness comes from the large amounts of preservatives, compared with, say, a ground beef patty from your butcher and some homemade bread with a few veggies thrown on. Also, fast food restaurants (well, nearly all restaurants really) serve quite large portions, which if eaten regularly, are also unhealthy.

But I do fully see your point about logging the meal and planning the rest of your day accordingly. I do that frequently :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili isn't bad, except for the extremely high sodium. SOOOO high. And the crackers add a heck of a lot more sodium than I thought they would too.

Most of the "less-evil" options at fast food places are high in sodium.

And many of the salads at fast food places have more calories than if you would have gotten the quarter pounder. I love quarter pounders without cheese. It's a special treat and it's not horrible. And if I've watched the sodium in the rest of my day I don't even go over in the sodium category, and I try to stay below 2000 sodium.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you have heart problems, there's no reason to be concerned with sodium. It's necessary to live, and your body eliminates it if there's too much.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    Ugghh...I'm so sick of everyone worrying about sodium and processed foods, etc etc...unless you have your own garden, your own cow, your own chickens, etc, you have to worry about sodium and processing...life is way too short for all that!
    Watch your calories!!! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie...period! Yes there are other options if you are going to a fast food restaurant! You will pay more, but if you go to Wendy's, get the salad, only use one of the packets of dressing and get the low cal one. Go to Chipotle, get a rice bowl with chicken, salsa and lettuce only, no cheese no sour cream. Go to Subway, eat the turkey or ham sandwich without mayo....hey, it worked for Jared!!! Read the nutrition menus before going so you know what you're eating.
    Otherwise, start growing your own veggies and rice, buy a cow and start raising some chickens.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, start growing your own veggies and rice, buy a cow and start raising some chickens.

:laugh: my neighbor actually had some chickens in their backyard one day, and the next day they were gone. my uncle in TN has a farm, and seriously, they have the best tasting food, probably because it's fresh.

i think some people are guilty of being too perfectionist about doing something that if it isn't perfect like low salt, low fat, etc... they end up not doing anything at all. it took me a while to realize this myself. it's better to do the best you can with your situation and not worry too much about having everything "perfect" or else you just don't want to do it.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    last resort today: went to wendy's (havent' been there in YEARS). i a half size salad and a medium fries--only ate 1/2 the salad and 1/4 of the fries because i just didn't want anymore. i feel great being able to say no once i'm full! (yes, i had a small chocolate frosty as an appetizer) :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Ugghh...I'm so sick of everyone worrying about sodium and processed foods, etc etc...unless you have your own garden, your own cow, your own chickens, etc, you have to worry about sodium and processing...life is way too short for all that!
    Watch your calories!!! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie...period!

That's silly. You can buy fresh or frozen vegetables and meats at the grocery store that are not processed and don't have sodium added. You can even buy no/reduced salt canned foods. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't worry about sodium and processed food additives because of the calories. I worry about them because they are unnatural and mostly unhealthy. I like being thin, but I like being healthy even more.

Fast food is not a necessity in today's world. It's a convenience.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Watch your calories!!! A calorie is a calorie is a calorie...period!

That's silly. You can buy fresh or frozen vegetables and meats at the grocery store that are not processed and don't have sodium added. You can even buy no/reduced salt canned foods. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't worry about sodium and processed food additives because of the calories. I worry about them because they are unnatural and mostly unhealthy. I like being thin, but I like being healthy even more.

Fast food is not a necessity in today's world. It's a convenience.

:drinker: My God, I'm glad someone said it. Cheers! :drinker:
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For health reasons, I recently started following the American Heart Association dietary guidelines. The websites is very helpful AND lists the better choices at some well known fast food places. This is good for anyone trying to eat healthier!
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have a Boston Market near you, that is the healthiest fast food I have found. Although if you try to eat lower in sodium then that place won't be a good idea either. I guess any food cooked by restaurants have the disadvantage to the nutrition chart in some aspect. Jason's Deli is another alternative, but it's not drive thru.
  • lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life gets in the way of eating healthy or what you prepare. I have a family, I work 40 hours a week, I have a house to clean, I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week so preparing my own food is a little difficult even with planning meals. I eat fast food on occasion. My hats off to those who eat what they've prepared at home - 365 days a year. I find it impossible! That's just me. I have found what works for me and I do eat out a couple of times a week :smile:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    All the people saying fast food is unhealthy but eating at home is healthy aren't exactly right either. Unless you are eating all organic, most of the foods(yes i'm talking fresh meat and veggies) we buy at the store are altered in some way shape or form and aren't necessarily healthy either.

Yes eating at home is healhtIER but it's not necessarily the epitome of health either.

We live in a crappy world where big companies are allowed to produce crap and most of us can't afford organic so we have no choice but to eat it.

All we can do is try our best to make better choices...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just ate McDonald's for lunch. TWO double hamburgers. Yum.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I just ate McDonald's for lunch. TWO double hamburgers. Yum.

lol, i had windy's chili. yum!