Sodium make you fat???

Options
I'll tell you my story first.

I daily have high levels of sodium and saturated fats in my diet, when I tracked on this site I was usually more than double my RDA for sodium and triple for sat-fats.
Why?
I eat a lot of meat and I use 2-3 TBS of coconut oil daily.
I have bacon and eggs almost everyday for breakfast.

I drink a lot of water daily, and I eat within my calorie goals but my sodium has been high for dozens of years, from when I was overweight to present.

I just had my physical, and i nailed it.

My blood pressure 120/60,
my cholesterol 145,
HDL 71
LDL 64
Triglycerides 34

The only thing that wasn't optimal was my high BMI, which means nothing because I have singe-digit bodyfat percentage.

I eat high levels of sodium and high levels of saturated fat(mostly coconut oil) and I'm as healthy as I can be.

So my question is why do we freak out over sodium and saturated fats as it pertains to fat-loss?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of regarding sodium is that it makes you retain water and raises your blood pressure. It gives the illusion that you are larger than you actually are.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Everyone is an "expert" here, and they scare us into thinking sodium and carbs are the enemy! Go over sodium even by a few mg, and mfp friends attack you like you just commited a crime! It's ridiculous.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you my story first.

I daily have high levels of sodium and saturated fats in my diet, when I tracked on this site I was usually more than double my RDA for sodium and triple for sat-fats.
    Why?
    I eat a lot of meat and I use 2-3 TBS of coconut oil daily.
    I have bacon and eggs almost everyday for breakfast.

I drink a lot of water daily, and I eat within my calorie goals but my sodium has been high for dozens of years, from when I was overweight to present.

I just had my physical, and i nailed it.

My blood pressure 120/60,
    my cholesterol 145,
    HDL 71
    LDL 64
    Triglycerides 34

The only thing that wasn't optimal was my high BMI, which means nothing because I have singe-digit bodyfat percentage.

I eat high levels of sodium and high levels of saturated fat(mostly coconut oil) and I'm as healthy as I can be.

So my question is why do we freak out over sodium and saturated fats as it pertains to fat-loss?

Thats awesome regarding your cholesterol levels man.

I wish all the people that think saturated fat is bad for them and eating cholesterol raises their blood cholesterol would READ this post.

Awesome job.
  • ShortayBaybay
    Options
    I was going WAY over my sodium intake per day, when I first started MFP, and now I have lowered it to below 1,500mg of sodium a day and the weight has been coming off more!!!!

I believe sodium has something to do with weight loss. I'm sure others on here will disagree.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't pay attention to either! Only sodium occasionally since it can mask weight loss. But i don't give a hoot usually xD
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    AMEN!!!! Thank you for posting that!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I was going WAY over my sodium intake per day, when I first started MFP, and now I have lowered it to below 1,500mg of sodium a day and the weight has been coming off more!!!!

I believe sodium has something to do with weight loss. I'm sure others on here will disagree.

weight loss? yes. Fat loss? No.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    Everyone is an "expert" here, and they scare us into thinking sodium and carbs are the enemy! Go over sodium even by a few mg, and mfp friends attack you like you just commited a crime! It's ridiculous.

I totally agree with you!!! One more reason I keep my diary private! I don't want to hear from all the self proclaimed "experts"
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I worry about sodium for my overall health, not weight loss. I have a family history of high blood pressure and heart disease, so I try to stay within my sodium limits before the dr tells me I HAVE to.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just saw on doctor oz a few days ago that eating a lot of sodium really is that bad for you as long as you exercise and you drink Plenty of water to flush it out. Sodium won't make you fat it will just make you retain water weight which is not fat and if you're not drinking a lot of water or you're not exercising regularly n you have high blood pressure already ir can play a role in keeping your blood pressure high. Otherwise I try to keep my diary private because I get so sick of people commenting on my sodium intake when my blood pressure is just fine. Congradulations all your hard work
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Isn't too much of anything bad for you? I mean, I could have 130 grams of carbs but that doesnt mean I can have the same amounts of fats. I am thinking one must know their limits for their goals
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to my sodium and the only thing that changed was the extra stuff I got to eat and a drastic reduction in sodium related anxiety.

(people will say anxiety makes you fat too.)
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First of all...awesome results on the cholesterol. As far as the saturated fat & sodium goes, I never gave it much thought when I was probably as young as you. At this point in my life, I am now on a BP med and also know that high blood pressure is also a leading cause of diabetes and stroke. I am also on a triglyceride med, although both my HDL and LDL are in normal ranges that continues to be an issue for ME. I have a genetic propensity to heart issues and just lost my brother at age 56 due to MASSIVE SILENT HEART ATTACK! So, if you try to tell me not to worry about saturated fat and sodium I would only ask that you say these things as it pertains to YOU ONLY and not to the masses. Everyone needs to take into consideration their own personal health issues/situations and genetic make up. While I will always applaud your success Russell, please try to send the appropriate message that this may not apply to everyone.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the reports function. I was over 4000 mg on sodium 12 of the last 30 days....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm paying less and less attention to sodium. Sometimes I look at it just out of curiosity, but I don't sweat it. Passed my last physical with flying colors.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't believe sodium or saturated fat really affects weight loss, other than the occasional water retention due to too much sodium. The problems with these are more health related I think. Sodium can raise BP and saturated fat can raise cholesterol. These things are not true for all people though. Sounds like you are one of the lucky people that have a problem with neither.
  • Cheri_M
    Cheri_M Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, however, I am a Critical Care Dialysis RN at the U of M Medical Center & Amplatz Children's Hospital. When I work I am a witness to the effects of high sodium on the body over time. High sodium is dangerous. It may not impact you initially, however, over time it is a death sentence. I found a couple links I've cut and pasted below to try explain the dangers of Na. Sodium does not make you fat, it makes you retain fluid, causes high blood pressure, wears out your kidneys, and can mess up your acid/base balance in your body, just to name a few...

Sodium and weight Loss

Excess sodium intake can increase the mass of white fat cells.
    Excess sodium intake promotes hypertension.
    Height salt intake is associated to metabolic syndrome.

Excess sodium intake plays a key role in weight gain, obesity and your success maintaining weight loss.

Sodium intake and balance acts as a critical control point not only for the systems your body has to regulate blood pressure and fluid balance, but also fat mass. For people interested in weight loss, cutting excess sodium is critical.

New research shows that excess sodium intake promotes excess white fat mass. The higher your salt intake, the fatter you look because the fat cells themselves enlarged. High sodium intake seems to cause fat cells to store more glucose in the cell, making those cells larger.

What has not been studied is the effect of high sodium intake in combination with rich food. Rich food has been shown to deregulate the bodies mechanisms for weight control. Rich food in combination with high sodium intake may promote a metabolic environment of binge eating and rapid weight gain.

High sodium intake is also associated with hypertension, and hypertension is also associated closely with obesity. People who are already overweight, risk developing hypertension if they sustain a high salt intake.

Metabolic syndrome is the term for a pattern of sustained weight gain. Metabolic syndrome is also a precursor to obesity and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.lookcut.com/articles/sodium-and-weight-loss.html

8 Health Dangers of a High Sodium Diet
    March 22, 2010 http://www.3fatchicks.com/8-health-dangers-of-a-high-sodium-diet/

1. High Blood Pressure: High dietary intake of sodium is the No. 1 cause of hypertension.

2. Ventricular Hypertrophy and Heart Failure: Abnormal heart development is the other reason why high salt intake can be detrimental to your heart

3. Osteoporosis and Poor Bone Development: Sodium inhibits your body’s absorption and utilization of calcium

4. Kidney Stones and Renal Failure: Excess calcium and sodium that are not used by your body will concentrate in your urine, increasing the filtration load of your kidneys.

5. Dehydration and Edema: Excessive salt intake can cause fluid to leak out of your cells and blood vessels and become trapped in your tissues.

6. Breathing Difficulties: Too much sodium can cause fluid buildup in your lungs, leading to shortness of breath and labored breathing

7. Duodenal and Gastric Ulcers and Cancers: Sodium regulates the acid-base balance of blood and body fluids. You can develop heart burns and esophageal acid reflux syndromes through eating salty foods

8. Electrolyte and Hormonal Imbalance: Excessive salt intake impacts both your electrolyte balance and your hormones. It can severely hinder the conduction of nerve impulses and induce symptoms like dizziness, muscle cramps and shakiness. You can also have impaired sensory response and feel disoriented and nauseous. Studies have shown that a high salt diet can often lead to higher stress levels and overeating, making you much more susceptible to depression, anxiety and obesity.
  • Cheri_M
    Options
    I am not an expert, however, I am a Critical Care Dialysis RN at the U of M Medical Center & Amplatz Children's Hospital. Every day I work I witness the LONG TERM effects of high sodium on the body. High sodium is dangerous. It may not impact you initially, however, over time it is a death sentence. I found a couple links I've cut and pasted below to try explain the dangers of Na. Sodium does not make you fat, it makes you retain fluid which reflects on the scale as weight gain, but that is actually just water weight. High sodium causes high blood pressure, wears out your kidneys, can mess up your acid/base balance in your body, just to name a few...

Sodium and weight Loss

Excess sodium intake plays a key role in weight gain, obesity and your success maintaining weight loss.

Sodium intake and balance acts as a critical control point not only for the systems your body has to regulate blood pressure and fluid balance, but also fat mass. For people interested in weight loss, cutting excess sodium is critical.

New research shows that excess sodium intake promotes excess white fat mass. The higher your salt intake, the fatter you look because the fat cells themselves enlarged. High sodium intake seems to cause fat cells to store more glucose in the cell, making those cells larger.

What has not been studied is the effect of high sodium intake in combination with rich food. Rich food has been shown to deregulate the bodies mechanisms for weight control. Rich food in combination with high sodium intake may promote a metabolic environment of binge eating and rapid weight gain.

High sodium intake is also associated with hypertension, and hypertension is also associated closely with obesity. People who are already overweight, risk developing hypertension if they sustain a high salt intake.

Metabolic syndrome is the term for a pattern of sustained weight gain. Metabolic syndrome is also a precursor to obesity and type 2 diabetes.

March 22, 2010 http://www.3fatchicks.com/8-health-dangers-of-a-high-sodium-diet/

1. High Blood Pressure: High dietary intake of sodium is the No. 1 cause of hypertension.

2. Ventricular Hypertrophy and Heart Failure: Abnormal heart development is the other reason why high salt intake can be detrimental to your heart

3. Osteoporosis and Poor Bone Development: Sodium inhibits your body’s absorption and utilization of calcium

4. Kidney Stones and Renal Failure: Excess calcium and sodium that are not used by your body will concentrate in your urine, increasing the filtration load of your kidneys.

5. Dehydration and Edema: Excessive salt intake can cause fluid to leak out of your cells and blood vessels and become trapped in your tissues.

6. Breathing Difficulties: Too much sodium can cause fluid buildup in your lungs, leading to shortness of breath and labored breathing

7. Duodenal and Gastric Ulcers and Cancers: Sodium regulates the acid-base balance of blood and body fluids. You can develop heart burns and esophageal acid reflux syndromes through eating salty foods

8. Electrolyte and Hormonal Imbalance: Excessive salt intake impacts both your electrolyte balance and your hormones. It can severely hinder the conduction of nerve impulses and induce symptoms like dizziness, muscle cramps and shakiness. You can also have impaired sensory response and feel disoriented and nauseous. Studies have shown that a high salt diet can often lead to higher stress levels and overeating, making you much more susceptible to depression, anxiety and obesity.
  • Cheri_M
    Options
    I am not an expert, however, I am a Critical Care Dialysis RN at the U of M Medical Center & Amplatz Children's Hospital. When I work I am a witness to the effects of high sodium on the body over time. High sodium is dangerous. It may not impact you initially, however, over time it is a death sentence. I found a couple links I've cut and pasted below to try explain the dangers of Na. Sodium does not make you fat, it makes you retain fluid, causes high blood pressure, wears out your kidneys, and can mess up your acid/base balance in your body, just to name a few...

Sodium and weight Loss

• Cheri_M
    Options

Sodium and weight Loss