how to deal with self-esteem at the gym

Options
ok so i;ve been going to the gym every day for the past 2 weeks because i honestly have fallen in love with it. my gym is like 80% guys and 20% girls so it kinda motivates me more because im one of the few girls so i just feel...idk..more special (Girls, you know what i mean).
the thing is, some days this gorgeous, fit girl comes in and my mood just goes way downhill. I just feel like stopping my workout and just calling it a day.
IDK why i cant just deal with it and why it gets to me so much. :(
does anyone else go through this or am i the only loser?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Everybody feels self conscious going to the gym. Just remember, a majority of the time, that amazingly ripped, in shape person working out wasn't always in fantastic shape. It takes a lot of hard work to get there, you just keep charging and eventually YOU will be that person.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    dont worry introduce yourself to her she is probably very kind at least thats been my experience course at my gym at the time I go most of the girls (women) are very fit but that doesnt mean they started out that way
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    just walk in there like you own the place. I put on my tough girl face at the gym. :D ! hhehehe
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am in the gym all the time, my husband and I go at least 5 times a week (if not 6-7). No one is judging you, actually I think it's awesome to see anyone in the gym who is just trying to make themselves healthier and putting in the effort to lose weight/build muscle/maintain. Trust me this is what 99% of the people at the gym are thinking too! Plus one day you'll be that inspiration body for someone else to look up to!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

My gym is the same percentage of girls to guys and most of the girls just stay on the cardio equipment. They usually don't come into the free weight area. But when one of them does it irks me. I don't know why!!!

lol!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    make friends with her. Some of my friends are very much prettier than me (course, so is ashton kutcher) - pretty girls CAN be nice and are sometimes more lonely than you think.
    and besides, you might get some of her 'overflow' ;-) pretty girls can't date every guy who hits on them
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am in the gym all the time, my husband and I go at least 5 times a week (if not 6-7). No one is judging you, actually I think it's awesome to see anyone in the gym who is just trying to make themselves healthier and putting in the effort to lose weight/build muscle/maintain. Trust me this is what 99% of the people at the gym are thinking too! Plus one day you'll be that inspiration body for someone else to look up to!

yes, this. ^
  • FightingFATtoFightingFIT
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by her. Your time at the gym is your time alone, irrespective of who is coming, or going. Enjoy your workout, focus on yourself and your goals.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am not only the biggest, but also the slowest girl in my aerobics class. Even with a savvy 60 something in the class, she can still out run me! It bugs me alot. I have never been this girl before. So, yea, I feel your pain. I have just decided that it is glaringly obvious why I am there and if they want to judge me to feel better about themselves they can. If they keep watching me, they will also get to see my transformation!

So feel proud about what you are doing. You are there for yourself and no one else. :flowerforyou:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If everyone was perfect and in shape, then they wouldn't be in the gym.
  • KristieGonzales
    Options
    Instead of seeing her as a "threat" look at her as motivation. When I first started running I would be dying by the end of one mile. There was an extremely fit 'looks like a runner' type of woman who came in to run too and she would run and run and run and run! Talk about feeling like a loser! I was so proud of myself - until she came in. But I didn't give up! Now I've been running everyday since May and I'm doing 4-5 miles a day (with a lot of sweat) and that same lady still comes in and still outruns me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to run as much as she does, but I am so proud of the fact that I CAN run more now and even more than that, I didn't let ANYONE stop me from accomplishing my goal. When I'm at the gym, I'm there for ME. Don't give up! Who knows...maybe one day, YOU will be someone else's motivation :)
  • KristieGonzales
    Options
    :smile:
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I tend to get lost in my own world in the gym and don't pay attention to others.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    ok so i;ve been going to the gym every day for the past 2 weeks because i honestly have fallen in love with it. my gym is like 80% guys and 20% girls so it kinda motivates me more because im one of the few girls so i just feel...idk..more special (Girls, you know what i mean).
    the thing is, some days this gorgeous, fit girl comes in and my mood just goes way downhill. I just feel like stopping my workout and just calling it a day.
    IDK why i cant just deal with it and why it gets to me so much. :(
    does anyone else go through this or am i the only loser?

I don't know ONE person who doesn't have their insecurities - with that said, you should be so proud of yourself! Don't let those negative thoughts take over your PURPOSE for being at the gym in the first place. Have you made eye contact or flashed a quick nod/smile? I think if you do, you won't be so intimidated by her anymore....

I would literally like to echo every single poster above me - especially Jeff92se's "If everyone was perfect and in shape, then they wouldn't be in the gym."