Running a 15k

Options
I'm running my first 15k next week!!! Any tips or advice?! What to eat the day before, the morning of, after?! Ummmm any music suggestions??? Thanks!!!

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    WOW Good luck!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Try not to do/eat anything new the day before or morning off.
    Whatever you typically eat before your long runs, eat it.
    For a half marathon/or other long runs I like a half eng muffin or toast w/peanutbutter. I try to eat about 30-45 minutes before I run, sometimes earlier than that.

Don't wear any new gear (that you haven't tried out already) on race day.

Have fun! Good luck!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you have been eating prior to your long training runs. A little extra carbs in your meals the 2 days prior to race days (a little extra pasta or whole wheat bread is fine). Just don't go hog-wild and with a ton of spaghetti the night before, or you'll just be racing to the port-a-potty in the morning with the craps.

A 15K doesn't require a ton of carb loading unless you plan on walking it. Good luck. :smile:
  • mallred76
    mallred76 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I always eat a slice of toast with peanut butter and a banana before my long races. I also love espresso hammer gel during, but you always want to test that stuff out on your long runs prior to your race. I've found the absolute best for post race/long runs is chocolate milk. Crazy, I know, buy it gives you just what you need. Good luck on your race!!
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thats great . Good luck to you !
    I have run some 5ks and I always like to drink alot of water the day before . Get a good nights sleep . Make sure you double tie your sneakers (lol you would think I would have known that!)

Lots of luck . let us know how you do :)
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm so nervous!!!!
  • ltki
    ltki Posts: 77
    Options
    Don't wear any new gear (that you haven't tried out already) on race day.

I totally agree with this, I have done it twice before, once with a new running top that kept riding up on me the entire way and one with new running leggins which kept falling down. I always wear my old favs for my event runs :smile:

Hydrate well the day before and I always make sure I eat a good breakfast as ealy before the run as possible.

Best of luck!!