Not only did I fall off the wagon, but I think it ran over m

Options
Ugh... I have moved... changed jobs... changed sleeping habits... & totally screwed with my new *healthy* lifestyle. And saw me put on some evil pounds that I had a hard time peeling off. :explode:

For some reason, this appears to be a pattern with me. For about 12 months now, I've been fluctuating between 143lbs & 151lbs... :mad: because I just can't seem to stick to it when I'm down... or something happens; I get sick... I break up with my boyfriend... I move... I have a weekend away & I'm not cooking for myself. SOMETHING. And it seems to happen over, & over, & over, & over again. :cry:

Well... I'm back at the evil 149lbs. I am. I was at 147 like... last week or something. But I'm back up again. How do I do this to myself? Why do I do this to myself? And more importantly, how do I STOP doing this to myself!?!? :sad:

Has this happened to anyone else? What do you do when this happens? When life gets in the way... or motivation starts disappearing... :embarassed:

I need help!!

Replies

• Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. Down to 133, woops, back to 137! Rinse and repeat. I'm still fighting with how to deal with it, and i haven't found the solution. Even when things don't get in the way, the same pattern repeats itself. I've taken to try and focus on non-scale things to keep myself motivated. Sure, my weight my fluctuate 2-3 pounds easily on any day, but I can sure do a lot more push-ups now than I could 2 months ago!

Good luck :)
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think this has happen to most of us. I tend to self destruct a lot but what I do know is say" I messed up oh well just at it and sooner or latter I will be successful " hope this helps....
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think you probably BEAT yourself UP too much. When I have a bad day,I try to brush it off and start BETTER the next day. There is NO sense dwelling on bad days, all it means...is that BETTER days ARE ahead.

I hope this helps you to cope.....
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me more times than I can count. Thus why I've been losing and gaining the same 30lbs since college. I've been focused for almost 2 years now, which is the longest stretch I've had. I have gained a little and lost it within that time, mostly during the winter (I'm still learning) but this time it's different than before. I think everyone just reaches a point when you know it's time to make a change that will stick for good. It's a lot of trial and error, that's for sure. You know you have what it takes to reach your goals, it's the staying there part that challenges us. You can do it!
  • Kjanthony
    Options
    omg!!! i am doing the same thing right now. i end up driving home from work and beating myself up!! i wish i had the answer but if you find it let me know!!:frown:
  • decooper
    decooper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had that feeling that the wagon has ran over me, a couple of times. I was down to about 165. The stress of loosing my job and the financial troubles with that just destroyed me. I am back up to over 200 lbs and hating every step of my descent. But still I press on. I don't beat myself up about it. I accept it, and work on the change. You can do it. You did it before. Good luck
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing (for 3 years now). Every time it happens and the weight goes back on, I learn a new piece to the puzzle of weight loss. One of these times...I will have enough of the pieces and the they WILL finally fit together. Have patience and courage to learn from past mistakes and take the time to reflect where your started on your weight loss journey and what you have achieved so far.
    Good Luck, and remember you can always pick your self up after the wagon ran you over:smile:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yeah i'm in the same boat.... i'm being dragged along behind the wagon kicking and screaming...

i'm still exercising well, but have a shoulder injury, so have cut out alot of the arm work... and the food, seriously, it's not going well... i'm hoping that i can pick myself back up, shake myself off and get back on that freakin' wagon real soon!
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. I was in SC for the summer, I was healthier before I left then the southern food got to me and I gained a bit back. Then, I jumped back on the health wagon when I was there for like 2 months straight when I signed up here in August. I moved back to the Midwest and it went back to the slums of eating unhealthy, not exercising. I went to the gym like once or twice. Now, I'm going to be heading to another state with the hubby permanently for military duties and I'm trying to get back in shape. They have classes and a free gym on base so I know I'll be exposed to a much fitter life. I worked out today after not doing so in a few months and man did my stomach hurt. It felt so much easier when it was apart of my life. Thing is, you can get back up, brush yourself off and take hold of that wagon girlie!
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    awww well you look so gorgeous!!! I am moving to a different state in a couple of days and will have to get a job and everything, so I understand :) I would love to be motivation/accountability buddies! You will do so awesome hun!!! xoxo
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i'm still exercising well, but have a shoulder injury, so have cut out alot of the arm work...

I separated a shoulder in 1999. Still DO the arm work... Trust me. Just.... start with 1lb weights. It'll hurt, but your physiotherapist will just make you do it anyway. And stretch... slowly... once the sling comes off anyway. But building back that muscle & keeping it from atrophy is important.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who sees this happen. I wonder if there is some kind of magical, motivational cure. Has anyone set goals for themselves & actually seen them happen (on time), & what was a realistic goal? What was your reward? I was thinking of setting something like that up for myself... but I don't know what.

Ideas? :wink:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who sees this happen. I wonder if there is some kind of magical, motivational cure. Has anyone set goals for themselves & actually seen them happen (on time), & what was a realistic goal? What was your reward? I was thinking of setting something like that up for myself... but I don't know what.

Ideas? :wink:

Years ago when I was 130 pounds and my size 9's were tight, an older friend of mine said not to buy bigger clothes, EVER. She said let your clothes be your guide to weather or not you need to loose a few pounds, to stay in the same size clothes. I wish I had listened to her as I have gained and moved up the size chart 4 sizes. So if you want a magical formula to not gain weight, I would say let your clothes be your guide.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up. You ate lots of fattening good food and enjoyed it right? No big deal. Get back on the wagon and make sure to eat food that you absolutely love that is also not so bad for your body and weight loss plan. And stay in this community, it is really helping me. And finally, you are not alone. We have bad days. Enjoy them and move on. We're here for you.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Like life it's all full of ups and downs. Don't beat yourself up. :flowerforyou:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Try and let your clothes and scale help not make you crazy. When you find a weight you want to stick with go down a couple more pounds then give yourself 5 lbs of wiggle room. That magic 5 lb number means crank up the workout and reduce the calories and it will come off quickly. We will never stay at exactly the same number every day, every week, just give yourself your target range and maintain it. I like the idea of not buying bigger clothes. I am gradually getting rid of my bigger clothes to remove the tendency to slack off.