A New Thanksgiving Tradition

Options
Let me be clear--I am truly GRATEFUL for all the blessings in my life. The idea of giving thanks is definitely not lost on me! But, I never really cared for Thanksgiving all that much. All the cooking, preparation, and fuss (like I did any of that--LOL!)--for what? Too much food too soon in the day! No matter how delicious, it's over the top! And I never cared for eating dinner at 2 or 3PM (though I have suggested later times in the past).

Here in sunny Florida, it doesn't have the same crisp autumn vibe of "back home" in New Jersey.

Anyway, I've largely bowed out in recent years. But you know, that's not the answer, either! I miss my family and friends. And the day does seem more dull without good company.

Here's MY answer: I am planning to run/walk in the St. Petersburg Times 30th Annual Turkey Trot 5K Fun Run on Thanksgiving Day. I'm not competing--I just want the satisfaction of completing the course in a time which clearly indicates that I've done some running. My family and friends will be there to celebrate with me. And who knows, maybe I'll enjoy a healthy (healthier?) Thanksgiving dinner too!

That's my plan for the holiday. How about YOU? Enjoy--LEWIS

Replies

• YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    That sounds great! I have worked the last 7 Thanksgivings and I think I will have this one off! Yay. May participate in the Run to Feed the Hungry (5K). I'm not into the big Thanksgiving feast either, way too much food and I don't eat most of what is served anyway. Typically we will go to my family's house for dinner after I get off work and I just bring my own healthy food with me. They're used to me! I'm in it for family and friends, sharing love and being grateful!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lucy :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are looking at doing a Turkey Trot relay the morning of Thanksgiving - monetary and food donations will be given to a local food pantry.
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'll be in the Drumstick Dash with my mom and bf on Thanksgiving...it'll feel nice to burn some calories before having dinner:)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Turkey Trot 5k as the last training run before a half Marathon on Thanksgiving Sunday. As for the meal on Thanksgiving itself, I'm going to do my best to limit myself to merely 17 gallons of gravy.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This sound great... I myself is not big on no holidays .....its not because i dont like to be with family but to take and make all that food in one day to me is also to much.... im thankful everyday... not just on thanksgiving....:wink:
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'll be in the Drumstick Dash with my mom and bf on Thanksgiving...it'll feel nice to burn some calories before having dinner:)

this sound like so much fun..... one of my goals is the be able to run a mile in 10 minutes or less.... im not a runner but i want to learn how to run and pace myself...
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! My family always goes for a walk afterwards, but we gave up on the "feasting" years ago. We eat about what we would at a regular meal, it's just a meal where the main protein is turkey. I much prefer it to over stuffing myself. While I love fall, like dressing up (that's one of the fun things about being in theater), and the idea of Thanksgiving - I could honestly skip all that and just look forward to Christmas.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I plan on enjoying my family and food as usual. It's one day, I don't worry about it too much.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do the Turkey Trot here if I can scrounge up the money to register.
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This will be the 3rd year we have done the Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning. It's the only race all year that I can get most of my family to run with me!