Losing weight with an IUD and painful cramps/TOTM Cravings

Options
Not sure Im posting this in the right section, but here goes! Last month I had a copper IUD/coil fitted and Im in absolute agony with TOTM pain. (Had check up at doctors but its in right place etc). Ive done pretty well with this diet this week for my first week but Im worried I may not be able to stick to it as I am in so much pain I dont feel like exercising or watching what I eat!!! Does anybody here have an IUD? Or do you find TOTM pain or cravings or PMT affects you?? Thank you!!!

Replies

• jeepwidow01
    Options
    I had a IUD inserted almost a year & a half ago maybe. Fortunately, I have not had any of the painful cramps you have described. What did the drs say regarding it?
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    double post :ohwell:
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Ive only had pain for a day or so, so not had a chance to ask the doctor, although I had a check up last week to check the IUD was in place and all was well. Ive had an IUD before and the pains were bad but not excruciating like these are. Ive been taking two lots of painkillers through the night. I really want to succeed on this weight loss plan but finding exercise difficult while Im feeling like this.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have had my IUD for 7 years, this is the second 1 I've had. The cramps you are feeling is normal for some people. It is 1 of the side effects. I have never had any of the side effects that are listed with the copper T IUD. If it gets worse you may have to have it pulled, or if your menses get too heavy, your doc should have explained this to you. Good luck ! Keep workin out love, :flowerforyou:
  • JennCLHowell
    JennCLHowell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had to *beg* to have my IUD out after two months of constant pain, (not just TOTM) bloating, could not have sex... the list goes on - it was a nightmare!! I too had it checked to see if its in the right place and 'it was.' I was told that it can take three months ish to settle down, but in that time I was getting worse symptoms not better or manageable! Hope you feel better soon x
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't have IUD, but did have TOTM cravings, mood swings, lethargy, bloating etc...
    I take Evening Primrose Oil and Starflower Oil combo - I get them from Tesco, combined high strength capsule in a bright yellow tub. They are one a day but I take two a day, as that gives you the optimal serum level of each in your blood. Takes maybe a month or so to kick in, but I can honestly say they have changed my life on a monthly basis! Sometimes my TOTM comes as a total surprise to me, as I've had none of the tenderness, cravings etc that normal come with it.
    They are intended specifically for hormonal balance throughout your cycle. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it has for me and a lot of my friends.
    Worth a shot for 2 or 3 months, and see how you get on.

Good luck whatever you do x
  • basketbusker
    basketbusker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forums. Been using MFP for 30 days now, have lost 10lbs and feeling good about it. My partner is doing it as well and we're keeping each other motivated. But TOTM is impending....and I really am dreading the diet going out the window during the week. Don't have an IUD but definitely cravings and lethargy!
    Usually it's carbs...Doritos or loads of bread and butter that I crave. I'm really worried about staying strong next week. Any tips? Cheers :)
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oi oi!! I work as HCA in family planning and I have to ask, were you told that the IUD can cause your TOM to be much more painful? I had an IUD and I didn't really have a problem until I had had it for 4 years and it started pinching me! I now have an IUS and I am still not sure if I like it. If it is causing you a lot of pain you should think about having it removed as it maynot be the right thing for you. If you cant enjoy your life and continue your day to day tasks then it isn't worth it! Maybe give it a few months to settle down but thats it! Sorry I can't give you any better advice!
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena IUD for almost 3 years and have never had any problems. My main reason for choosing this one was for controlling heavy periods. Google this type of IUD for more information.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I will give it two more months to see if the TOTM cramps settle down. Ive been in bed since yesterday, certainly not how I intended to spend my weekend! Working my dates out, it will be due around christmas time too!!

On a personal note, I had the mini pill for 1 month this summer, I gained about 14 lb in that time, my hair was falling out and had incredible down moods in fact my entire personality changed so I asked for the IUD. Discussed the mirena with my doctor but decided against it due to my sensitivity to the pill, mini pill and hormones.

I will definitely try the star flower oil and evening primrose. I get terrible cravings and eat everything in sight for a week before my TOTM, so its worth a try, thank you x
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am so upset IUD's suck. i realized that after 10 years and replaced it with mirena or however you say it. i don't even want to talk about it here but it is so upsetting to me. i say you take it out and get the mirena. no periods, no terrible things have happened with me on it either. i am so happy that i didn't replace with another iud. i can't take birth control pills because it makes me sick to my options were limited already.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I know a lot of people don't want to hear about womanly problems on MFP, but I stopped taking my pills to see how it affected my weight. I'm glad I did. My TOM sucks and my face is breaking out really bad, but I did lose some weight after stopping it, and I am glad I did. I am considering the copper IUD because I want a long lasting option that does not mess with my hormones. I am going to see how bad my natural periods are though on their own for a month or two before I decide to get Paragard put in because it will only make it worse.
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 copper 2 IUD's. Both were very good, but I did have an "adjustment period" where I had heavier cramping and tenderness. Both settled and I was quite happy. I too had difficulty with taking birth control as it made me feel unwell, emotionally labile, hair loss, depression, etc. I have a rough time with TOTM though despite that,so I did some research (I am a nurse gone back to school so research is my life!!) here are physiological reasons we crave and want to eat. Our bodies want to make you rest (lethargy) eat high fat foods (best food for a new egg awaiting implantation) and storage of fat to feed that implanting life. An IUD doesn't manage hormones so your period can do whatever it wants and that can been a not so nice side effect. I read about a disorder that women have called Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder (5-8% of women have this) As soon as ovulation occurs there is a sudden drop in mood, lethargy etc...which resolves with the start of menstruation. I am definitely interested in trying the herbal suggestion above! Thanks!!!! IUD's are great hbomb68, I advocate as a nurse and through 2 x personal experience.. here is a linc to the disorder facts hope it helps for some of us, this is what we have to deal with!! I don't have some of the serious side effects but enough to fit the profile..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004461/
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    btw, as a nurse in ER, I have seen many people unhappy with Mirena, though it works for many, it leaches birth control hormones, for those who can't tolerate the pill, this option may fail for you due to the unwanted mood and symptom issues. However, I am aware that for others who suffer with heavy periods, it can be an excellent option.. just food for thought. T
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So I'm a bit late but nonetheless:

If you're not averse to ibuprofen, take it every 4 hours (I will do a loading dose of 800mg and keep it up with 400mg after that) to help with the cramps. I also like red raspberry leaf tea (usually sweetened with agave) for cramps. Heat is totally your friend, try heating pads or the stick on ones (ThermaCare or the like) if you can't stay home and curl up with one. Cramp bark is also apparently helpful (but I've never tried it personally). Vitamin is is okay but I find it does more for the excessive bleeding as opposed to helping with the cramping. As for cravings I try to save some extra calories (or exercise a bit more, which also helps with cramping) and make "better" choices (like some of the recipes on here!)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't have an IUD, however I did use to have really heavy painful periods... the first two days I'd be laid between hot water bottles.. one under lower back one for stomach cramps, my periods would be heavy all week and I'd put on average 6-10lb on in water and have to wear a size bigger trousers that week!

I changed my diet.. i cut carbs and the water retention reduced to 2lb.. in fact I didn't even realise they had started last month!.. I have also been exercising alot more and working out and they seem to be shorter, though it was a real struggle to get to the point where I felt I could exercise when I knew they were coming. I read that our metabolisms are slightly higher the week before so armed with that info and some painkillers i'd try and get a few sessions in before they actually started. I found it easier in early hours of morning.. my body was more relaxed after just getting out of bed, I did have huge problems with energy and not been able to manage to exercise for long so took Capsiplex in the beginning to give me an energy boost I then went from been struggling to manage 30 mins to 2 hour workouts at 5am!.I only took them on workout days 2-3 mornings a week, but can now do an hour myself without using them.

The chocolate cravings were intense but I used diet patches to curb them a little and used snack-a-jack choc chip rice cakes and hot choc etc and only got small bars of choc like milky bars about 70 cals instead of eating a whole big bar with like 1,000 cals or something daft!

I find chocolate does give me an high and make me feel better at that time of the month, I managed to find some gluten free brownies to fit in my diet so I can still have brownies!.. but my rule is I have to have exercised that day to be able to eat one as they are like 200-300 cals unless I want to cut one in half and only have half of one.. (which takes some serious self-control!)

so basically going low carb eased the water retention and bloating which reduced some of the pain and exercise also helped. Now it starts.. I just take a paracetomol and its under control in a few hours.. I still have a rest day the first day, and do light session second, but now can usually get back to my workout around the 3rd or 4th day which was impossible before as the pain and fatigue would wipe me out all week.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Vitamin is is okay but I find it does more for the excessive bleeding as opposed to helping with the cramping.

That should say "Vitamin E"
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena (have had it over a year) and I love it. I only get a period every couple of months, and when I do there's no cramping and it's very light, lasting only a couple of days.

I've heard the copper IUD causes more cramping and pain, so maybe think about switching IUDs?