C25k/runners

Options
I just recently started c25k. About to start week two. And would love to have some people who just started or some experienced runners for support, motivation and advice! I haven't run since high school, even then I wasn't into it much. I've tried starting up a couple times before but you know...those pesky pregnancies. Also are there any good websites I could use for reference. I've tried googling but don't know where to start. Thank you :)

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just started week 2 last night. My knees were hurting so i didn't do all of the running but i think i could have! my shoes are ancient so i desperately need new ones but i'm going to do my best to still get through the workouts. i love running and this program makes so much sense to ease back into it! So so far, I'm 4 workouts in. I'll join you :happy:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Not experienced, but myself and two other's on my list are doing C25K together (no one left behind) we are finishing up Week 2 heading to week 3..
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Runners World's website and magazine are jam-packed with info for any level of runner. I recently completed my first marathon. Through the whole running process, from 5K to Marathon, I utilized information I found in the book "The Runner's World Ultimate Guide To Road-Racing".

Good luck to you, I am pretty emotional about running in general -- I'm excited for you and your adventure!!
  • michelleb148
    michelleb148 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K this past week with my last 30 min run around 2.7 mi. For my last 2 runs I have been doing 3.3 mi in preparation for my first 5K which is next weekend.

The program is truly amazing. When I started, I hadn't exercised in a good 4-6 months. It is also amazing the way your body transforms and I feel like I am now getting "runner's legs". My advice is to stick to it and to try not to have more than 2 days off between runs. Whenever I did that, I always felt a little set back when I went back for another run.

I just started using the website RunKeeper, which is great for logging your runs without needing a gps or smartphone to run with. It keeps a log of all your activities and congratulates you on your progress.

Best of luck and feel free to add me!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I'm now training for a 10k!
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in my second week of doing the C25K, however I'm still running at week 1. I've got nearly 100 lbs to lose and I working on it a little more slowly. I was able to run for 3 minutes straight yesterday (10 minutes total) and I am walking much faster than I have ever been able to do. My goal is to be able to run a 5K with my daughter in April. We'll see.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Runnersworld.com is a great website.
    One tip....get the right shoe from the start. Go to a running store (a store that specializes in running) and get a gait analysis done. It is free at almost every running store. They will look at the way you walk/run and then fit you to the proper shoe and that makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. Running shoes aren't cheap but neither are injuries from improper shoes. So get the right shoe!
    Also, water is your best friend from now on if you are gonna run, believe me, the more water that better.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm really excited to stick with this program. I'm doing it more for the fitness and mental aspect then the weightloss. Technically I still have one more day on week 1. But I found it a little easy so I'm just going to start week 2.
  • Summerleahd
    Options
    Runnersworld.com is a great website.
    One tip....get the right shoe from the start. Go to a running store (a store that specializes in running) and get a gait analysis done. It is free at almost every running store. They will look at the way you walk/run and then fit you to the proper shoe and that makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. Running shoes aren't cheap but neither are injuries from improper shoes. So get the right shoe!
    Also, water is your best friend from now on if you are gonna run, believe me, the more water that better.

Yes. I can tell I'm going to need a new pair. The ones I have are ok, and they dont hurt my feet, but they just don't feel right. Im not even sure if I have a store that specializes in running around here. And water isn't a problem for me, I'm like a fish lol
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're using your smartphone and a C25K app, but that's how I got started. It dings in your ear when to walk and when to run so you don't have to look at your watch. Just stick with it and you will be amazed at how quickly you progress. Two weeks ago I completed 3.47 miles in 40 minutes at a race and had to walk a decent bit. Today I completed 4.19 miles in 39 minutes. Also, go ahead and register for a 5K. It will help keep you motivated and encourage you to get out there, knowing that the race date is approaching. Congrats for having the courage to start...most people aren't even there. Good Luck, Girlfriend! Let me know how I can help!
    -Andi
  • Summerleahd
    Options
    Thanks. You're pretty awesome. :) I'm not even sure where to look for 5ks around here. I never hear about them or see them advertised. And when you try to look up events for salisbury sometimes it just leads you in circles or it list things from 5 years ago. I saw one once and it was printed in the newspaper the day before...I'm not even sure if I could sign up from an event. Stuff like that's gets me all stressed out to be around people.
  • CatS13
    CatS13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 5, day 1. What a rush!! I love the C25k program!!

Check out cool running.com. They list races, and you can search by location and length. It's a great resource!!
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I decided while running on the treadmill today that I wanted to try C25k again. I started it once early in the summer, but lost motivation when it got so hot here. I'm going to a bootcamp on M/W/F so I my goal is to start tomorrow running on SU/TU/TH. I've never been a runner really (running from your brothers doesn't count does it?) but I would LOVE to be able to run a 5k. I'd love the motivation and support so I welcome Friends.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's a great program - when I started it in mid-June I could just about get through week 1 without dying. I did my 3rd 5K race today in 29:10 and I've moved on to Bridge to 10K. It will change your life!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if C25 is the fastest way to endurance..... I started jogging 9 days ago and went from being able to run 1 mile to 4.3 miles straight last night (1.7 miles uphill @ 30-45 grade). I used to run in February for about 3 weeks but only got to 2.5 miles.... so I've gained more endurance in a week in a half than I did last time!

What I did this time around was keep pushing myself each run, actually eating healthy, and keeping myself well-hydrated... I walked around 2 miles a week for 4 months before this. So first I started with running 1 mile downhill, the next day 1.5 miles downhill, took a rest, then ran 1 mile downhill and 0.7 miles uphill for three days took two days rest and the last two days ran 1 mile downhill, 1.7 mile uphill, 0.5 mile downhill then 1 miles flat. I did walk the rest of the difference after but decreased the walking time from 1 hr to 34 mins over the past two runs.

What I do to drown out the pain is tune out the heavy breathing and negative thoughts with motivating music. If you look at my pics I'm pretty fat and the couple days before I started running I smoked a pack of cigs.... I don't smoke anymore but if I can gain this much endurance in 8 days anyone can! It's all a mind game!
  • NB_Eric
    NB_Eric Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm not sure if C25 is the fastest way to endurance..... I started jogging 9 days ago and went from being able to run 1 mile to 4.3 miles straight last night (1.7 miles uphill @ 30-45 grade). I used to run in February for about 3 weeks but only got to 2.5 miles.... so I've gained more endurance in a week in a half than I did last time!

What I did this time around was keep pushing myself each run, actually eating healthy, and keeping myself well-hydrated... I walked around 2 miles a week for 4 months before this. So first I started with running 1 mile downhill, the next day 1.5 miles downhill, took a rest, then ran 1 mile downhill and 0.7 miles uphill for three days took two days rest and the last two days ran 1 mile downhill, 1.7 mile uphill, 0.5 mile downhill then 1 miles flat. I did walk the rest of the difference after but decreased the walking time from 1 hr to 34 mins over the past two runs.

What I do to drown out the pain is tune out the heavy breathing and negative thoughts with motivating music. If you look at my pics I'm pretty fat and the couple days before I started running I smoked a pack of cigs.... I don't smoke anymore but if I can gain this much endurance in 8 days anyone can! It's all a mind game!

I don't doubt your results but I know personally if I try your method I end up hurting myself and giving up. C25K is the first time I've been able to gradually train my body for running. I've always been a swimmer / biker but never tried my hand at running. I'm about done Week 4 and can't wait to start Week 5 :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I sort of completed c25k. As in, I began it at week 3 and made it to week 6 before hitting a tendon issue that put me out for 3 weeks. Then I magically could run 5 k, and then I randomly ran 10K a week later. *shrug* I liked it. It gave me confidence to gain my base again but I didn't need it once I switched to running outside.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just started this again today so Wk 1 Day 1 completed.

I did it first time this time last year and on New Years Day ran my first race. It really is amazing but this summer i picked up a bad injury and have not run for 4 months so i needed something to gradually get me back running without irritating my injury so i am starting C25K again by using the podcasts.

I remember last time the change to my abs and legs, the running really does whip you into shape. Having put on weight whilst out injured im hoping it will have the same effect again and im also making sure i stick to a healthy nutrition plan.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just about an hour ago completed W1, D1 using the C25K app.

I tried it a couple of years ago, but quickly quit. I think, mainly, though, that was because I was trying to run too fast straight out of the gate and burned myself out very, very quickly.

Today was much, much better because I decided to go at a pace that was comfortable for me and not trying to run too fast too quickly.

I'd love to have new friends to motivate!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I did day one, week one this morning, too. Felt great as this is the first time I have managed any sort of running since high school! I'm going for the slow and steady approach cos I am scared of injury (mostly a head thing cos I have just lost over 100lb and still think of myself as the fat chick rather than the rapidly reducing chick!)