Plz Help with Chinese take out!

Options
Hey guys,

I need help yet again!
My mom is coming into town and her favorite meal is chinese take out.. so what can i safely eat tomorrow?? any recommendations?
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    Hey guys,

I need help yet again!
    My mom is coming into town and her favorite meal is chinese take out.. so what can i safely eat tomorrow?? any recommendations?
    :flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yes, take me along and you eat half and I'lleat half:happy: Love Chinese
  • aliciask
    aliciask Posts: 24
    Options
    Do they have an option for steamed veggies and steamed shrimp? Add some brown rice and voila! Well-balanced meal! Careful of the MSG though( I usually ask to not add any, or some places dont use it at all), and try some low sodium soy. That's my take out fave.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Nearly all of the Chinese places near me offer dieter's specials.

Go for veggies or shrimp, steamed rather than fried, little or no sauce (or ask for it on the side). Stay away from noodles; ask for brown rice (they often have it for the workers even if it isn't on the menu, so it is worth asking). If you can't find anything suitable, go for the soups.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    its really hard to order from this place because the lady that answers the phone doesnt speak very good english so i dont know how many changes in their menu i can request...
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Most chinese food is salty. If you stick with white rice and veggies you would be doing great! :oP Try not to add Soy Sauce to anything.

http://www.free-fad-diets.com/chinese-food-calories.html

http://www.dietbites.com/Diet/diet-makeover-chinese.html

Try those!!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You should make her dinner. there is healthy chinese recipes in the recipe forum. I have adapted the one so it is so easy to make any stir fry taste chinese. All I do is mix rice vinegar with lite soy sauce (equal parts depending on how much sauce you like) and a few packets of splenda or sweet and low add a little cornstarch to thicken and you have a great chinese sauce. Pour it over any stir fry you can think of and it makes it taste like a good chinese dish.
    make it more chinese by adding water chestnuts and peanuts or cashews or something. I make it with rice on the side for my boyfriend.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Chinese is fun!

Tell them you are on a "jie shi" (pronounce each word as if it were a question) to tell them you are on a diet.

You do not want things "you jian" (fried in oil), but "qing zheng" (steamed).

I hope this helps!
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    You should get chicken, not the really good kind which is sweet and sour, but grilled, or with no breading on it. and veggies, and maybe a little rice.

:smile:
  • kookima
    kookima Posts: 2
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of Eat This, Not That by the editor of Men's Health Magazine. It's a great tool! I have found it very useful. It tells you what to order off of many restaurant menus and much more!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of Eat This, Not That by the editor of Men's Health Magazine. It's a great tool! I have found it very useful. It tells you what to order off of many restaurant menus and much more!

Yea i heard it was a great book... Does it say anything about chinese food??
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey FuzzBuzz,

Soup is a good choice to start sometimes...like hot and sour or egg drop are lower in calories and fat. Or get the steamed veggie dumplings and share them with your mom or save the rest for lunch the next day.

Also, I usually get the chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side. That is easy enough to understand.

Just remember that the soup, etc will have a higher sodium content so just plan accordingly and watch it the rest of the day and realize that it may affect how the scale reads temporarily.

Good luck!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The place I use have steamed varieties so look for that. I had it a couple weeks ago, steamed chicken and broccoli and a sauce came on the side. I drizzled 2 TB over all of it and it gave it good flavor without being saturated.

Of course my husband got General Tso Chicken and fried rice. I did have one piece of General chicken and it was soooooo good but I know I would regret it if I ate anymore. I savored every bite of it.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    How about a harder workout and not worry so much about cals today? Just enjoy!