fruit or no fruit?

Options

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You're better off cutting off your other sources of sugar rather than the fruit.

BINGO
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my fruit to 2-3 pcs per day. As for the sugar grams on here, I don't add in my fruit sugar grams. I try to only look at other forms of sugar. Fruit (especially whole) is full of good stuff...vitamins, minerals, fiber. Eat it!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...it's perfectly okay to enjoy some fruit in MODERATION. Too much of ANYTHING can hurt your weight loss. Balance is the key.

I have insulin resistance (PCOS), and I still eat fruit. The main thing I have to watch is to not eat fruit by itself. If I do, I get an energy spike, then crash. But if I eat some protein with it, I do just fine.

Some fruits are higher in sugar, but I find that if I allow some of those, too, it helps me not crave the really bad sugars (cake, cookies, candy, etc.). Those sugars should be cut altogether except for special occasions (obviously you should be able to have a piece of birthday cake on your birthday!).
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I did the Danieldiet last year which mainly consisted of fruits and veges. It benefited me greatly. The only precaution was making sure i use pro-namel for my teeth to protect the enamel.

You're not gonna get fat from eating fruits and veges. At the time I wanted to cleanse my system. The more fruit and veges you eat the better off you are. 5 servings a day is good enough.
  • juicymama08
    juicymama08 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fruit in moderation....Yummmm :love:
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and know it has wonderful vitamins in it but I also know it has a lot of sugar in it...
    I have recently been told to limit my intake of sugar to 30 grams which I can NOT do by eating fruit...
    does it really make a difference? I miss my fruit :(

Who told you to reduce your sugar? If it was your Doctor then yes you should....if its just a weight loss factor then as long as you limmit your refined sugar intake no problem.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Well, to put it nicely, I didn't get fat eating fruit. :laugh:

Fruits are natural sugars which are good food you. Cut out the processed sugars instead.
  • dlsfarris
    dlsfarris Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Apples and Berries are the lowest on the glycemic index. I don't worry about the sugars in fruit. I am diabetic type 2 off insulin, still take pills but working on just diet control.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you should eat fruit. 2 portions a day.

It irritates me to distraction that people worry about the sugar in fruit but every day I see a load of low fat, high sugar cakes and biscuit recipes on here.

Fruit has tonnes of fibre, as well as vitamins. It's good!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor about how much sugar you should be consuming, as well as your other nutrition guidelines. She put me on 50 sugar/day, which is higher than the default setting, but she lowered my cholesterol from 250 to 200 and my sodium from 2500 to 2000. Ultimately, fruit has fiber and other good nutrients, so I'd eat some every day. Good luck.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    for the most part, I'm on board with eating fruit and the idea that natural sugar from fruit is fine. My only reservation is that I don't know who told you to limit sugar to under 30 grams per day. If your doctor told you this, then you should ask your doctor about eating fruit. Don't rely on a random group of folks to override any medical advice you were given.

No it was by a person on MFP.
    tumblr_lts6m7iA7M1r36cbfo1_500.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have recently been told to limit my intake of sugar to 30 grams

^ Who told you this, first of all.

EDIT: Nevermind, it would help if I read the entire thread as this has already been covered. brb.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Ok, having skimmed through this:

I would do the following:

Establish your caloric intake, and establish your pro/carb/fat goals.

Select mostly whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, nuts, etc as the majortiy of your diet.
    Incorporate a limited amount of "junk" as you see fit, provided you can do so with the following conditions:

1) You are capable of doing this in moderation.
    2) You still hit your numbers at the end of the day. In other words, the limited amount of "treats" or processed stuff doesn't put you over.

Beyond that and assuming you have no relevant medical conditions, I don't see a need to track sugar at all, given the above conditions.

You are in a calorie deficit and as long as you stay that way, any potential lipogenesis during periods of high insulin will be burned as energy anyways and you'll have a net fat loss, not gain.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You're not gonna get fat from eating fruits and veges. At the time I wanted to cleanse my system. The more fruit and veges you eat the better off you are.

Orly?

So if i eat 50 bananas a day, I wont gain weight?

Fruit has calories too, as does veg. Like ANYTHING else, if you eat a calorie excess, you'll gain weight...
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Fruit has calories too, as does veg. Like ANYTHING else, if you eat a calorie excess, you'll gain weight...

^ This.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and know it has wonderful vitamins in it but I also know it has a lot of sugar in it...
    I have recently been told to limit my intake of sugar to 30 grams which I can NOT do by eating fruit...
    does it really make a difference? I miss my fruit :(

If a doctor said this, listen. If you read it here or on another site, ignore it. Fruit's sugar is completely different from sugar from processed foods. Don't worry about it.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends who told you to limit your sugar intake to 30g a day. If it was your doctor, you should probably listen to her/him...
  • sdopps
    sdopps Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us are on here because we ate too much fruit. :happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You're not gonna get fat from eating fruits and veges. At the time I wanted to cleanse my system. The more fruit and veges you eat the better off you are.

Orly?

So if i eat 50 bananas a day, I wont gain weight?

If you ate 50 bananas a day you probably wouldn't gain weight, as you'd have the squits permanently.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem it has to be all or nothing when it comes to nutrition. lol