depression and weight loss - specific question

Options
2»

Replies

• azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use a light box/alarm clock. Instead of a loud annoying nice, it slowly brightens to mimic the sunrise. It is a totally different way of waking up in the winter, it gets me out of bed, and ready to workout for the day. I've used it for a few years, and i love it. It's not as effective in the summer months because the regular sunrise wakes me...but I too get in a funk in the winter, and this seems to have helped a lot.

My other tip to you, is that once you are awake, turn on all the lights in your house.

Here's a link to the alarm clock, but they have the light boxes on there as well.

Please note: If you are prone to mania/bipolar disorder, DO NOT USE THIS! It can trigger a manic episode. But if you're just depressed, it can elevate your mood.

http://www.biobrite.com/products.php?category_id=1&PHPSESSID=57800b41278f097fbee1ff745173b7e5

thanks for the link! unfortunately i doubt the alarm clock would wake me, it takes an act of god to get me out of bed in the morning, even in the summer...and my husband is bipolar, so i certainly don't want to trigger him. i noticed the link has other categories too though so i will poke around and see what's there!
    Yes - thanks for the link!! I've been wanting a way to use light gently to help me get up in the winter. I think this is it!!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from the same thing when I lived in Maine...winters are so long and most days you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. I too suffered from depression (still do every now and again) and find when I am getting exercise it helps tremendously! This was years ago and I didn't know about light boxes then but found going to a tanning bed/booth (I know, not the healthiest) at least once or twice a week was helpful. I am sure the lightbox is much healthier!

i used to live in Maine too! (up in the County...haha). my therapist also said tanning would work too, but suggested the light box since it's healthier...although i'm not opposed to tanning either.

lol..when I was very young my Dad was stationed at Loring AFB so we lived in Limestone, I remember getting out of school for a week or two in the late fall to pick potatoes! Then mostly I lived in Augusta then Harpwell (near Brunswick) the down east coast is so beautiful! Now I live in FL...buhbye long gray winters..lol
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    I've got a lightbox. I'm using it now. I've had it for about eight years. I *think* it works, although it could be the placebo effect I suppose. I think it's worth a try though. One thing to note, though, is that not all lightboxes pack the same punch. Check the lux rating at the distance you're planning to be away from the box.
  • peacefulwhisper
    peacefulwhisper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My Aunt used a light box and it seemed to help her. :)

I hope it works for you. Depression is a horrible ilness to suffer with. I feel for you. You are on the right track though, exercising really helps, also planning little outings ect is always an uplifter.

Goodluck.
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking that maybe you might try a work out partner if you can find one? I have always had a hard time sticking to my plan and workouts, but once I started doing it with someone else it was much easier. I have a friend that I'm very close to and have known a long time & both of us are strong willed so we keep the other accountable. If you find a good friend to go with it might also build your relationship with the friend and at the same time keep you interested in working out.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have heard great things about it, specifically when used with a thearpist that has been trained to use it.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly not a light box ... but I picked up a floor reading lamp a few years ago that has a special halogen (I think) bulb that mimics the light of the sun pretty closely (or so all the marketing copy read). I like it a lot. Might think about getting something like that for home, maybe ... just a thought.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from the same thing when I lived in Maine...winters are so long and most days you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. I too suffered from depression (still do every now and again) and find when I am getting exercise it helps tremendously! This was years ago and I didn't know about light boxes then but found going to a tanning bed/booth (I know, not the healthiest) at least once or twice a week was helpful. I am sure the lightbox is much healthier!

i used to live in Maine too! (up in the County...haha). my therapist also said tanning would work too, but suggested the light box since it's healthier...although i'm not opposed to tanning either.

lol..when I was very young my Dad was stationed at Loring AFB so we lived in Limestone, I remember getting out of school for a week or two in the late fall to pick potatoes! Then mostly I lived in Augusta then Harpwell (near Brunswick) the down east coast is so beautiful! Now I live in FL...buhbye long gray winters..lol

haha that's where i lived - Limestone!! after the AFB was shut down, though. we lived in the old military housing units. i couldn't WAIT to get out of there...so boring. and yep, harvest time meant no school!!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking that maybe you might try a work out partner if you can find one? I have always had a hard time sticking to my plan and workouts, but once I started doing it with someone else it was much easier. I have a friend that I'm very close to and have known a long time & both of us are strong willed so we keep the other accountable. If you find a good friend to go with it might also build your relationship with the friend and at the same time keep you interested in working out.

also a great idea! i have quite a few friends that go to the same gym as i do; i'll try to see if one or two of them will be my steady workout date each week.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    with that being said, my therapist has recommended that i try a light box to help. has anyone tried this and noticed that it's made a difference? i don't want the winter to stall my weight loss efforts due to my lack of motivation. exercising has done wonders for my mood and i don't want to just come home and crawl under the blankets when i get home from work daily.

Yes! I bought one about 6 years ago and it was the best thing! At the time I lived in an apt that was so dark it could have been a cave and it really made a huge difference. I highly recommend getting one.