a couple questions about 30 Day Shred.. please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    star-
    sorry, just saw your post!
    i havent started his plan yet, but I plan to when it gets to be about 10 weeks before my race. i won't follow his plan to a "t" because of my shin splints. I will probably run about 3 times a week, one of those days being a long run, the other two being about 2-4 miles (depending on how my shins feel). i'm giving it 10 weeks because sometimes i just have to take a few days off for my shins to recover a little, and will do some cross training on those days.

i always take some anti-inflammatory medicine about 20 minutes before i run, and that helps. sometimes i'll put a heating pad on my shns before a longer run, too (my doctor told me this helps, and it does some). i also ice my shins after running.

i think as long as you are running 3-4 times a week, giving your shins a day of rest between each run, you should still get some good training in. give yourself some extra time for training (like i said - his 10K plan is 8 weeks, but I'm going to give it at least 10) so that you will have time to rest your shins while still building up your endurance. on days you arent running, swim or bike (stationary or not), just to keep your endurance up, and work those other muscles (cross train!), and take one day to just totally rest!

hope this helps!! shin splints STINK!