Hunger headache

Options
I have eaten well today, worked out, stayed hydrated, ya da ya da. My stomach is not hungry per say, but I have an awful hunger headache. I don't want to eat more because I've already eaten my workout calories back. I'm sipping on herbal tea so I'm getting lots of liquids, but this headache won't go away. Do hunger headaches ever happen to you? What do you do?

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I get them because my blood sugar will drop. The only solution is to eat.

Are you sure it's hunger and not something else?
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    Sounds like a carb reduction headache ;/ Take some advil it will go away :)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    how about caffiene? caffiene withdrawal headches can be horrible
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I get them because my blood sugar will drop. The only solution is to eat.

Are you sure it's hunger and not something else?

What could it be? I am slightly hypoglycemic, but my sugars have been alright today. I've just slashed my calories by about HALF! Maybe I just have to deal with it and hopefully my body will adjust to the new calorie intake
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and get them all the time. I find a glass of oj usually does the trick. Yes, it's calories but I have to do something.

If this is a regular thing perhaps you should see a doctor to find out if there's something else at fault. Diabetes, hypoglycemia etc.
  • EzraCCM
    EzraCCM Posts: 47
    Options
    I get headaches when I don't get enough fluids...
    But maybe you have to cut calories more gradually to avoid the headaches?
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I got a horrible headache the other day after I did a new work out (hill sprints -running) and I really pushed it. I then had to go to work and was away from my water bottle and couldn't feed myself when I wanted. I ate and drank right after the workout, but maybe not enough. I wasn't sure if it was not enough water, or food, but I know I was lacking something because my head was seriously killing me, and it took FOREVER to go away. Good luck - hope you feel better :)
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I ended up having a huge bowl of spinach with some balsamic vinegar. The headache's going away :)
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hold the phone - hypoglycemic? helloooo there friend, how much protein are you getting? as a fellow hypoglycemic, i suggest that upping your protein could help. i know this headache. i hate this headache. what's been helping me is making sure that i eat nuts as a snack every day. currently, i'm on an almond kick. they're full of proteins and good fats, which will keep you full and satisfied (not to mention it'll keep you out of a hypoglycemic crisis). even if you are only slightly hypoglycemic, you do have to watch what you're eating and how you're feeling. how many meals do you eat a day? i eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day to keep my blood sugar at a stable level. yes, we do have to watch that we don't go too low, but you also don't want you're blood sugar riding a roller coaster all day long, which can lead to those headaches. you should probably switch to eating 3 meals with 2-3 snacks a day so you're in more control of what's going on with you're hypoglycemia and you'll avoid the headaches. when i eat on a 3/3 schedule, i feel so much better because my sugar levels aren't all over the place. this is a time where you avoid how many calories mfp has allotted for you today because you're body is saying you need something more. will this one time kill your diet? no. can you prevent this from happening? yes.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've just slashed my calories by about HALF!

That's your problem right there. Why such a drastic decrease?