What sugar to cut?

Options
Hi everyone! Recently I have made the decision to cut most of the sugar out of my diet. I would definitely like to cut out desserts, like chocolate, candy, ice cream etc. However, I would still like to eat natural sugars found in fruits in vegetables. My question is, should I cut out the other sugars in foods like yogurt, applesauce, etc.? I'm sure there are foods that have sugar in them that i don't even know about, and i'm not sure if I want to cut everything out, but I don't want me eating these foods to make it harder for me to cut out other sugary things or make my cutting out sugar not as successful. what do you guys think?

Replies

• twinsies041
    Options
    I think that I might start this. Even the days where im 200 calories under my goal I'm still eating 20 extra grams of sugar a day
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Just read the ingredients listed - if there is added sugar, it will be listed.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    bump
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I honestly don't care much about sugars. I mean, I try not to eat things with added sugar (like breakfast cereal or yogurt with added stuff), but I can't do without fruits (I have 3 a day, give or take).

Most of my days I'm over my sugars, and I'm still losing weight. I try to make healthy choices and stay away from highly processed foods. That's it.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you have been eating a lot of sugar, decrease your sugar intake slowly. Otherwise in a couple of weeks, you will have a craving that might destroy all your hard work. Even things like skimmed milk has 11 gms of sugar! So personally I have been slowly replacing skimmed milk with almond milk in slow transition so that my taste buds gets used to it. It has definitely helped! Using Stevia instead of sugar is also a better option.
    Occasionally I will have dessert, but its been a whole lot better than eating one every day! Good luck!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Recently I have made the decision to cut most of the sugar out of my diet. I would definitely like to cut out desserts, like chocolate, candy, ice cream etc. However, I would still like to eat natural sugars found in fruits in vegetables. My question is, should I cut out the other sugars in foods like yogurt, applesauce, etc.? I'm sure there are foods that have sugar in them that i don't even know about, and i'm not sure if I want to cut everything out, but I don't want me eating these foods to make it harder for me to cut out other sugary things or make my cutting out sugar not as successful. what do you guys think?

I cut out processed sugars.

Fruits etc I don't mind or pay much attention to them.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I cut out added sugar in my diet. Natural sugar is okay but be sure to limit juices stick to the actual fruit with the fiber too. Milk sugar is okay to it is a natural sugar like in skim milk and yogurts look for the first 12 to 13 grams of sugar is from milk sugar (natural) but beware the added sugar even the fruit juice yogurts. My fitness pal is very low on how many sugars you should have in a day I did some research and took an average of of several sites and came up with between 50 and 60 grams. I don't really sweat it because I know that I am not eating added white or brown sugars. Good Luck! The first 2 weeks (induction phase to cleanse your body of sugar) is the hardest after that you can increase it a little at a time and you will not have any sugar cravings.