Lettuce Wraps

Options
Today was my first day of getting back on track... I dreaded the day since I was at home all day with lots of tasty treats and cooking for my family of 6 all day. After getting everyone else fed I started on my dinner plan and made some very delicious, low cal lettuce wraps! SUPER filling and heaping servings (important as I am just getting started again)...

Several large leaves of iceberg lettuce to wrap up the goodness

1 8oz container mushrooms chopped finely
1/2 red bell pepper chopped finely
1 carrot grated
2 oz leftover chicken breast chopped finely

all cooked/sauted with a bit of water and a dash (1.5 tbsp) of teriyaki sauce...

Served hot and yummy and around 250 calories!

Replies

• dianeinthemuk
    dianeinthemuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That sounds terrific! Thanks!! And good luck to you!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Sounds really yummy! I love wrapping things in lettuce. I eat my turkey burgers this way, too!

Best of luck and good health to you!

Lucy :)
  • fit4travels
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow..that sounds awsome..i may try that thanks
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have a question and please don't think I am trying to be rude or mean, I am not. I am just wondering why you don't feed your family what you eat. What I mean is, if you can not eat what you are cooking them because you are trying to be healthy, why feed them unhealthy things?
    Again, not being ugly, I am being serious. I only feed my family what I eat, with the exception of the items I don't eat because they cause my RA to flair us, such as tomotoes, potatoes, peppers. I am not gonna feed my family hamburger helper and then have a nice healthy grilled chicken plate for me.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been using lettuce for wraps for a long time now, with great results.

Just a suggestion though -- use a type of lettuce other than iceberg. Iceberg lettuce is the nutritional eq of a glass of water. I usually use Romaine, but spinach or other dark green lettuces are great too.
  • poutinEeyore
    poutinEeyore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awsome. That sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:
  • bethtilgner
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning this! I work full time and have four kids to feed (ages 2, 3,10 and 14) as well as getting to soccer practice, music lessons and much more. I try hard to make my time with them valuable instead to spending my whole evening in the kitchen. Since I manage all of this on my own, I often feed my children meals that take less time to prepare and things that are more pleasing to them and then make my own meal later in the evening so I can sit and enjoy it rather than mindlessly shoveling bites in while fighting everyone about how many bites they need to take, cleaning up food that is messy for them to self manage. Many other nights we all enjoy the same thing... Since my family is NOT on a reduced calorie diet... but I am, I try to make sure that they have an opportunity to choose healthy foods that I might choose to avoid.

My family's meals are actually very healthy/nutritous, but I try to also make sure they can feed themselves and enjoy their meal which creates a less stressful and healthier environment for all of us.