I felt like throwing my food on his plate...............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
So we were invited to a party tonight by some clients of mine who have an annual Halloween dinner get together with several of their friends.
The food was catered by a local company and was really good. I had cuts of beef, lamb and a little chicken along with my salad and some white rice. My wife and I sat down at a table (it was picnic style on the ranch of my clients) and were introduced to a couple who were friends of friends that my clients invited.
I was remarking on how good the food was and the male (friend of the friend) stated "Too bad a cow had to lose it's life over it". I glanced over at his and his SO's plate and noticed they had no meat on it. I assumed at this point they were vegetarian. I then replied back "Yeah, too bad meat doesn't grow on trees" jokingly. He then got really offended and started spouting off how people like me should be ashamed for consuming meat. Well I'm not one to get attacked without putting up a fight so I told him that people have preferences in their food choices and I respect whatever it is he chooses and that even though it may offend him of what I choose to eat, he should respect my choice as well. He kept going on by saying "Well that cow didn't have a choice!" At that point I told my wife let's move to a different table because I really didn't want to cause a scene with this guy.
But honestly, I did feel like throwing my food on his plate........................I could have gotten seconds.

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    W@W those guys sounded crazy O___o Im sorry you had to go through that~!

I think you handled it very maturely btw
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    There are zealots everywhere........I think you should have held him down and spoon-fed him from your plate, but that's just me.

But you seem like a nice guy, so I guess you wouldn't have really wanted to start a fight by saying that you suppose sexy time must be really boring if his wife doesn't like meat.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ...the plants he was eating didn't have a choice either....
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I feel where you are coming from. I have a few friends who are not afraid to interject their opinion at any inappropriate time.
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    There are zealots everywhere........I think you should have held him down and spoon-fed him from your plate, but that's just me.

But you seem like a nice guy, so I guess you wouldn't have really wanted to start a fight by saying that you suppose sexy time must be really boring if his wife doesn't like meat.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Lmao, you just made my day lol.

Real women eat meat! lol.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, my husband isn't... we make it work... I agree it is about respect, and that man had none... honor yourself and your body with your needs... his Karma will be effected by it in the end... you are in the right...
  • cassiejoyy
    Options
    Can I just point out that not all vegetarians are like that(:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

You certainly may and you are exactly right. :) I love respectful vegetarians, which tends to be most of them. This guy was just a rude person.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    I have clients and friends who are vegetarian whom I get along fine with. The same thing with family and friends who are religious while I'm not. It's about mutual respect and if both have it, then there shouldn't be an issue. I'm more than sure now that guy was a PETA supporter..........................
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad experience with those epeople. i was a vegetarian before I stated having kids and I would never judge anyone for eating meat. I actually don't care that the animal died, I just didn't like the taste too much, not anymore, I love me a fat juicy steak, lol.

I always told people, i am not a vegetarian becaue I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. they always had this confused look on their faces lol

hope I made you laugh a little
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I only eat beef that have committed suicide or died accidentally. :bigsmile: The world has always been full of overbearing people wanting to shove their views down another's throat. Think The Crusades. I bet they drove a Prius too.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Some people... *shakes head*

Now I can see it from both angles because I was vegetarian for 3 years. Yes, it's a bit frustrating to see others eat meat, but HELL, it's their own decision! Sounded like he had his panties in a wad. And good for you for sticking up for your choices.
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    I saw a t-shirt today that read: "There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!" Enough said!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    GRRRR!! People like that really anger me!
    Not to mention the cow was already dead. No know knew who the cow was going to, or under what circumstances.
    They just knew that the cow would be consumed by a human, who as a human needed meat in its diet..
    If you hadnt of eaten that cow, there was a chance that no else would of, and it would of been binned.
    The cow was only bread to be eaten.
    It didnt loose its life, it gained a life.
    If it wasnt for humans needing meat it would never of existed.
    Vegetarians should be grateful that there are meat eaters around to continue the existence of farm animals.
    Grr there so stupid it angers me!!
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians should be grateful that there are meat eaters around to continue the existence of farm animals.

WOW

*facepalm*
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you handled it well!! How annoying! You could have just told him this:

188524345v2_480x480_Front_Color-Black_padToSquare-true.jpg

:bigsmile:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

WOW

*facepalm*

Well obviously they would still be alive for dairy.. etc..
    but i mean things like pigs..
    if we didnt eat meat then they would have no reason to be bred.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    ...the plants he was eating didn't have a choice either....

This is what you should have told him! :p But you handled the situation very well... im pretty sure my hubby would've smashed several chunks of meat down his throat while saying inappropriate things
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    GRRRR!! People like that really anger me!
    Not to mention the cow was already dead. No know knew who the cow was going to, or under what circumstances.
    They just knew that the cow would be consumed by a human, who as a human needed meat in its diet..
    If you hadnt of eaten that cow, there was a chance that no else would of, and it would of been binned.
    The cow was only bread to be eaten.
    It didnt loose its life, it gained a life.
    If it wasnt for humans needing meat it would never of existed.

Huh??? I think you had a point here, maybe.
  • wannababyH
    Options
    I might have taken the low road and thrown a piece of meat strait at his face, with hopes a bit would go in his mouth.

It's okay to dislike the fact that someone else is eating meat, but you don't have to be a d!ck about it.

Good job for taking the high road!