Finding time to workout when you work night shifts

Options
I was wondering when do you guys find time to workout & eat? I work 10 hour night shifts and I homeschool my child. I am not a big breakfast eater, I skip lunch most days and then by dinner time I am starving and pile my plate high. I have not seen a great amount of weight loss just a pound here and there, but I gain it back. I really want to lose 30 pounds by next summer, but I don't even think it's possible with my work schedule. :sad:

Replies

• lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work 12.5 hr night shifts which really tire me out. I make sure I walk to and from work (4 miles round trip) but I just don't have the energy for anything more. I always eat more on nights too as tiredness makes me really hungry! Best advice I can think of is maybe try a 30 min workout DVD and make sure you plan your meals meticulously so you don't get too hungry. Good luck. You can do this!:happy:
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

This may suit your eating style, as for working out, when you can fit it in
  • LusciousDiva82
    Options
    Thanks guys!! :-)
  • Juniorfire54
    Options
    I work 12 1/2 hour shift as well. I also drive almost an hour to and from work. I sleep maybe 8 hours on a good day. I do have a park that is open when I get off and get to town and I will stop and walk 30 minutes and then head home. That's also a good way to get tired quick before bed. Also, I get off at 0700 and I try my best not to eat after 0300. That's helped and if I do get a craving, I'll try a fruit of some sort.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work 11pm-730 am. on the weekends it is DEAD where I work. and luckily because of this I can take 30-45 mins breaks where I will go outside and walk/jog/whatever. during the week days I just pack a gym bag with workout clothes and soon as I leave work I head to the YMCA and do my thing.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Some people I work with will go up and down the stairs in the building on their breaks for a bit of a workout. If you homeschool, can you take half an hour to do a video or quick workout while your kids are doing their exercises?
  • genmills2001
    Options
    Another trick for not going crazy and eating so much at dinner when you're starving, have healthy snacks all day so you're not ready to eat someone's face off. Baby carrots or broccoli will keep you going at 30 calories a serving. Clementine oranges are easy to peel, high in potassium, and only 35 calories. It may not solve your work out problem, but it may help with that dinner food feat (and I'm sure we all know how it is when you dont eat for too long).
  • genmills2001
    Options
    While you are at work, it is possible to get some exercises in even at a desk. Depends if you are really busy all the time or have a few minutes every now and again. You can do desk push ups and chair leg lifts and all kinds of crazy things, there are actually several work outs to do in a cubicle if you search google that come right up without having to dig for them.
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    Are there 24hr gyms where you are? I ask because I'm in Australia and we're always behind the US .. so if it's here, it's likely to be there.