1lb back on....so annoyed

Options
I don't understand what i'm doing wrong?? This week I have done 3 gym sessions (mixture of cardio and strength training) and 1 spinning class and stayed within my calories. I don't want my weight to keep swinging between the same numbers, I want it to reduce :frown: Any ideas???? x

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • Deberlin88
    Deberlin88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's quite natural for your weight to flluctuate btwn a few lbs, though. Within a given day, your weight can fluctuate 2 lbs. Trust me when I say that eating healthy and exercising will lead to the weight loss you want. 'Tis better to do it slowly, but surely, then try to rush it off. Also, remember that how you feel and your measurements are a bigger sign of success. When you build lean muscle, which weighs more than fat, the number on the scale may not change so much, but the size of your clothes will!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Bean - I am 55 yrs.old, so it's been a while..... But seems to me that there are things that go on in a young woman's body every single month.... I used to gain about 3 pounds on average.... Watch your sodium intake, drink more water than you think humanly possible, & give yourself some slack.... :flowerforyou:
  • Deberlin88
    Deberlin88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's quite natural for your weight to flluctuate btwn a few lbs, though. Within a given day, your weight can fluctuate 2 lbs. Trust me when I say that eating healthy and exercising will lead to the weight loss you want. 'Tis better to do it slowly, but surely, then try to rush it off. Also, remember that how you feel and your measurements are a bigger sign of success. When you build lean muscle, which weighs more than fat, the number on the scale may not change so much, but the size of your clothes will!

PS - I should add my own personal experience. Since December 2011, I've lost 10 lbs, and I've done it in stages. First, my weight fluctuated between 148-151 lbs, then it was 145-148 lbs, and it kept slowly going down to now I'm fluctuating between 137-140 lbs. In that time, though, I've lost 5.5" from my waist, 1.5" from my hips, and 3.5" inches from my bust. My goal weight is 132 lbs. Once I hit that, I expect to maintain between 132-135 lbs.
  • Beanie26
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. :flowerforyou: Re: exercise calories, I do try and eat them but if i'm full then i'm full and cannot possibly eat much more or I would be sick. :noway: I am drinking lots of water and cut down on fizzy drinks and cups of tea. Maybe I should start focusing on how I look rather than what the scales say??? :huh: they did tell me that my water level was 50.5% and fat 30.4% if that's any good???? xx
  • renee_lee88
    renee_lee88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    GOLDEN RULE NUMBER 1............... DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!! research the net about the benefits of drinking lots of water and you will have a waterbottle in your hand 24/7 like me...
  • 77bluebird
    Options
    Your hydration level is fine, and your body fat percentage is within the acceptable range for a woman! Have a look at this link: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php - it makes a lot of sense!
    Don't focus so much on the scales, you're doing a great job of improving your lifestyle and will get lots of health benefits from that!
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I am full and not feel like eating anything but there is still calories left I let MFP calculate how many raw, plain almonds would it take to fill rest of calories. They are healthy but doesn't make you feel too bloated nor they have any salt in them.
    My weight also fluctuates due to hormonal things, salt intake, etc, especially when periods are coming or on. If I want to get rid of this annoying extra water, I eat one fresh pineapple or quarter of a watermelon - but then will need go to toilet often so better not do in the evening or cannot sleep sound... ;-)
    Good luck!
  • Beanie26
    Options
    Thanks again for your posts, I have just done my gym workout and recorded what the machines say I burned and it would appear MFP has been over estimating on what I have been doing. Also, the gym scales say i'm 84kg fully clothes and with trainers on so i'm unsure what my blooming scales are doing. I may stick with the gym scales from now on and see how we go. xxx