Good Morning

Options
Hello everybody, Been lurking for several weeks, thought I would introduce myself. I'm a long, tall, Texan, (or at least I used to be many years ago). I was always fit when I was younger, used to like to run a lot. Then came marriage, career and kids. Seemed like there was never enough time to do things like run or exercise. Fortunately, I had a pretty active job that helped keep the weight off. That eventually led to a desk job where I found the most strenuous thing I had to do was stretch a finger up to the number row. The weight started slowly packing on, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, now up to 15 years at the desk and its like one day I see me in a picture with my teenage daughter and it dawns on me, I am old and fat. But I didn't do anything about it because I'm supposed to be old and fat, I've earned it. Didn't know how much a weighed because we didn't own a scale. Well my wife and I decided we are going to do a Caribbean cruise for our 25th anniversary and she started loosing weight just over a year ago. She convinced me to start walking with her. I remember that first, one mile walk. It was tough. Dang, I couldn't believe I had gotten that out of shape. We broke down and bought a scale but I didn't care to see how much I weighed. Last years doctor's visit had me borderline high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Went on medicine. Still made the excuse, it's because I'm old. My wife kept talking about she was going to get skinny for our 25th anniversary cruise. Didn't really buy it because I had heard it before a dozen times. It always petered out after a few weeks. But she kept dieting and exercising till she was down 40 lbs. She convinced me to join a gym. That's when I decided to get serious about my weight loss. Not sure what my highest weight really was, I had been walking for a few months before I weighed myself and then I was at 245. Started doing weights and mild cardio at the gym and still walking at home. Worked my way down to 222 when I started looking for a weightloss app to help me out. My wife said this is the best one out there so here I am. She is actually using a different app and site because that is where she started and she doesn't want to lose all her info.

So here I am, roughly 6 months after starting my weight loss. I am now down to 206, blood pressure normal, resting heart rate around 60, cholesterol normal, no medication, and capable of running (very slowly) for 5 miles, swim for 1/2 mile and bike for 15 miles. I'm training for a tri. Keep hoping they will have one in our area but they are kind of rare. Probably have to head over to one of the big city's to do one this winter.

Sorry, I can be a little wordy on occasion.

Replies

• czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Good morning David and welcome! Glad you have joined us...I started here the middle of last month and absolutely love the knowledge, motivation and support! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • jmcclain75
    Options
    That's awesome, it's also very inspiring; your wife obviously was a great inspiration, so thank you both for inspiring me. I ended up losing over 20 pounds this past April, but then life happened . . . 2 surgeries between my husband and I, stress, no activity for many weeks after surgery =eating (unhealthy, may I add) til voila . . . back to where I was plus more. So, it's the end of October, and I've made a conscious decision to carefully watch what I put in my mouth! I do realize that the hollidays are coming up, and it may seem crazy, but that makes me more determined; because in the back of mind, if I can make it through the next two months and not gain any weight, then going into the new year will much easier (you know the traditional "new year's resolution . . . yeah that :-) . . . thank you once again, for sharing your story, it is much appreciated.
  • Newbiez
    Newbiez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me if you would like
  • mjsohm
    mjsohm Posts: 40
    Options
    Glad to have you David. This is a great group of people and the site is very easy to use. I have found the logging and accountability to be extremely helpful in making progress when I had hit a wall in training. I love positive people and you will find them here. All the best!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The best thing about your story is your realization that losing weight was important to you. That's the key - no one else can lose the weight for you, you have to want it, and it appears that you definitely do. Congrats on your great progress to date. Keep it going.

If you want to get and give support on MFP, feel free to friend me.
  • gemma04021989
    Options
    Hi well done on the weight loss
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. Feel free to add me if you'd like. ENJOY!!!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and nicely done on the progress you've made. I just saw a thread you might like - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/380389-what-triathlon-has-done-for-me

Good Luck! :smile: