Drinking pop growing up/as an adult

Options
I seem to be some sort of an oddball, I do not like pop of any kind. Even with alcohol... unless that is the special for the night :drinker:

I see people all the time drinking pop at home, at restaurants, for every meal... talking about pop on here all the time and it has gotten me curious. I never had pop growing up. We could have water, milk or juice. I always had water, and that is the only thing I drink now. We never had pop in the house. Even all grown up, my siblings never drink it either.

I've asked my boyfriend, who is a pop addict, he says he had pop all the time growing up, as did all his pop addict friends.

So I ask you, do you see a correlation between if you were able to drink pop as a kid and if you drink it now?

Asking about pop on a Saturday night... I've hit a new low and I think I should just go to bed now :p

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    you must mean soda! lheheheh :drinker:
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    you must mean soda! lheheheh :drinker:

I see what you did there...
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    We drank nothing but kool-aid growing up. It was pretty awful for us but I was a kid and didn't know any better.

I loved my cherry coke for awhile but stopped drinking it about a year ago? Maybe 2 now? I don't remember, awhile ago at least.

Now it tastes WAY too sweet to me, pretty awful.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    We only had soda-pop as a special treat, maybe one or twice a month. I now only have it rarely, mostly as a mixer with alchohol, or when it's hot out and I need some caffine.

Be thankful you're ot a mountain dew addict.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I seem to be some sort of an oddball, I do not like pop of any kind. Even with alcohol... unless that is the special for the night :drinker:

I see people all the time drinking pop at home, at restaurants, for every meal... talking about pop on here all the time and it has gotten me curious. I never had pop growing up. We could have water, milk or juice. I always had water, and that is the only thing I drink now. We never had pop in the house. Even all grown up, my siblings never drink it either.

I've asked my boyfriend, who is a pop addict, he says he had pop all the time growing up, as did all his pop addict friends.

So I ask you, do you see a correlation between if you were able to drink pop as a kid and if you drink it now?

Asking about pop on a Saturday night... I've hit a new low and I think I should just go to bed now :p

yes there is an exact correlation between the two.

giving soda to kids is a bad idea and there are soooo many parents who start giving their kids soda in the bottle for crying out loud.

There are studies on it, just do a google search.

They were just talking about this in my brothers psychology class.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My parents bought it, but I never liked it much. Given the choice between pop and juice, I would always go for juice, as a child. I still only drink it once in a while.

For me, it didn't matter that it was available.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I grew up with parents that would polish off at least three 2liter bottles of pepsi a day. I would probably have atleast a glass or two everyday as well.

I don't buy it now that I am out on my own and I only have it a few times a year while drinking or at the movies.

I guess I am very lucky their bad habits did not stick with me!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    We had it in the house when I was growing up. Once in awhile I would drink one, but generally I drank water.
  • jujubelles
    Options
    I didn't drink much as a child growing up but as an adult I loved it. Pop for breakfast was a favorite. It is sooooo bad for you. Now, I don't drink it at all - but still find I crave it. Unfortunately, I let my daughters drink too much pop also - though as adults they don't consume quite what I used to.
  • latinahada
    Options
    I think it has something to do with the way you are raised...For instance, my hubby rarely had dessert when he was growing up & we had something sweet after supper nearly every night, so when we started dating he thought it was bizarre that I felt like I had to have something sweet all the time. Like literally if we went out to eat I would get a to go box and save my supper and order dessert to eat there. Crazy, I know...Anyway, I think if you grow up doing something it carries over to when you are an adult.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

New drinking game...every time you read "pop" in a forum post, you chug a Captain Morgan and "pop"...Holy *kitten*, I am down 12 drinks...someone carry me out of the bar!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it has something to do with the way you are raised...For instance, my hubby rarely had dessert when he was growing up & we had something sweet after supper nearly every night, so when we started dating he thought it was bizarre that I felt like I had to have something sweet all the time. Like literally if we went out to eat I would get a to go box and save my supper and order dessert to eat there. Crazy, I know...Anyway, I think if you grow up doing something it carries over to when you are an adult.

I'm the opposite. We always had dessert when I was growing up, but I rarely order it in a restaurant.

I am starting to notice a correlation between my username and the way I live my life. Hmm...
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I drank water and milk growing up, now I drink coffee and diet tonic water, and sometimes champagne. :drinker:
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I drank pop only on special occasions when I was growing up. We had milk, or juice, or water. I drank pop more in my younger adult years. Now, I don't drink it at all. Don't miss it. I do miss, however, calling it pop.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink it too often at my house but when we would go to friends houses that's all we would drink. I quit drinking all together about a year ago. I won't take one sip of it now.

My drink addiction is sparkling flavored water now.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I didn't have pop a whole lot growing up and when I did it was diet coke. As I got older (high school age) I loooooved diet coke and had it every day... and a lot of it. I cannot drink diet coke anymore unless it's in a mixed drink (bad - I know). The taste of diet coke by itself is absolutely disgusting to me.
  • michy_elliot
    Options
    I drank water, milk, juice, or cordial growing up. My parents had a rule that if we were thirsty, we had to have a glass of water first, and then we could have a cup of juice or cordial with dinner. We rarely had soft-drink, probably only christmas and birthdays.

I usually drink 4-8 glasses of plain water a day, plus 1-2 of milk. I love juice, but I know it's just sugar so I rarely have it in the house. I allow myself one Coke Zero per week, but usually only end up having 1 or 2 a month. It's mostly when I'm at uni and need a caffeine hit or if it's hot (I carry a water bottle, but it's not icy cold).

My brother doesn't drink soft-drink, and if he does he dilutes it 50/50 with soda water. But it does mean that if there's leftover Coke etc. from a party, I go a bit nuts and drink it all... But that is rare.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I drank way too much soda when I was a kid. I stopped cold turkey in high school and now I can't even stand the smell or taste of Coke/Pepsi or any other caramel-colored soda. At some point I did start occasionally drinking a Sprite or orange soda again but since I started trying to lose weight I haven't had but maybe one or two.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Soda was something we had occasionally as children, it wasn't kept in the house though. We had family pizza night once a month and got to have soda then, they delivered it with the pizza and we typically finished it that night. My grandmother also had a stock of canned soda in her pantry and we were allowed to have one can each at big family dinners, but no more.

I will admit I went through a soda junkie phase in my adult years though. I would have two or three sodas a day. This started when i was working as a waitress and we were allowed to have all the soda we wanted while on shift. As a poor college student, having access to something for free was like a dream, so I had a lot of it. I kept that habit up even after I quit waiting tables. Eventually I realized how horrible that was for me and started cutting back, after one month with no soda and no other changes in my life/diet, I dropped 8 pounds. That was enough incentive for me to stop drinking soda!

I've gone back to the soda habits of my childhood, only occasionally and only a little bit. My boyfriend is a totally soda junkie, but he's also blessed with an annoyingly quick metabolism. It was hard to get him to stop buying me sodas whenever he gets them for himself, but he has now started buying me seltzers instead.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My Mom and her brother were raised in a German family and they weren't allowed pop. My Mom didn't have any until she was 16 and out with kids her own age. She and my uncle were given beer instead. Mom still doesn't like beer, except for the first sip, and she likes diet coke so go figure.:drinker: