Anyone else treat their calories like money?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, always. When I'm looking at a restaurant's nutritional guide I look in MFP to see how much money I have (calories)... then I decide what will be the best investment for my $$... I always catch myself saying "800 calories is a lot to spend for something that won't satisfy me"... So I guess we all do!

Funny.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I think the hardest thing to do is not to drink your calories but it's the easiet thing to do to allow more satisfiying food. I have beein drinking only water except with my cheat meal.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, that's why I have tons of healthy lo-cal stuff to eat, so I can eat MORE!
  • princess_e_972
    princess_e_972 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OMG. I was just thinking to myself the other day that I should treat calories this way
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    LOL - so glad to know that I'm not the only one who does this. :)
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    I think it's so funny that the OP name is "neurotic" virgo. Anyone else catch that! LOL!:smooched:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I tried to pay my rent with calories. I was unsuccessful. :cry:
    that's it. I'm friending you so I won't miss any laughs :laugh:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I used to. It worked really well. Then I got out of the habit and I'm struggling with staying within my calorie limit. It's a good way to think about it. :)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yep. And I'm stingy. Wrote a blog about this a while back, it's great way to stay on top of your consumption.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    lol yes i now classify things as "worth the calories" and "not worth the calories"
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! That's one of the things that helped me eat healthier. I could eat a doughnut, OR for the same calories I could have three plums, three clementines and some peanut butter. I love to eat- the more the better :D
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    This is the second most important bit of advice i give anyone who asks.

That bit of cheesecake looks tempting! Drool....but is it worth spending 450 cals on? If yes, go for it and bloody well enjoy it! But remember, that's 450 cals you wont have later on for snacks! If you think it's worth it, go for it!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You know always comparing to get the best "bang for your buck!".

Comparing things like, I could have 2 bite sized snickers, or I can eat 10 warheads...or I can have a small handful of nuts, or a 6" piece of lasagna (this was my realization this morning!).
    I do lol thats why I dont drink my cals anymore. I can save a couple hundred a day doing that and get a good snack in plus the water flushes the **** out for better weight loss

I don't drink my calories either - I have a small maintenance calorie budget (1570 before exercise), and I don't have room in it to be so spendthrift. I have to be a total calorie tight a***...
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I also refer to foods as being "cheap" or "expensive" if they have very few or very high calories in them... haha! Never in conversation, just in my head, of course.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yep, I totally think of them as money. I look at my choices and sometimes one is too 'expensive' calorie-wise. LOL A friend grabbed me some food at a drive-thru once but didn't ask me what I wanted first, and when they gave it to me I was disappointed that they'd picked an 'expensive' item that was very small for the 'money'. I knew I'd still be hungry and have to 'spend' more just to get some actual nutrition. LOL
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yes, I budget my food items. The main reason is to ensure I don't go over on my calorie intake. Doing it this way keeps me from thinking I'm restricting myself.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Yes, and I also refer to foods as being "cheap" or "expensive" if they have very few or very high calories in them... haha! Never in conversation, just in my head, of course.

Me too! And when I want something that has a lot of calories in it, in my head I say "I can't afford that!"
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. And I'm much better at depositing (exercising) before spending (eating) my calories than I am with real money! If it's not in my MFP bank first then I'm not spending it, just in case I don't get my planned exercise in.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lord YES, I even refer to it as "spending" my calories lol